16 mph Scooter on hotUKdeals £203

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
For XiaoMi to have only formed in 2010 and in just 7 years have a turnover of $15 billion (USD) is pretty impressive.

The only XiaoMi product I know reasonably well is the XiaoMi robotic home vacuum cleaner. It took on longer-established competing robotic vacuum products from Samsung, Dyson, iRobot and Neato, undercut them all in price, and IMHO slaughtered them in terms of technology, performance and reliability.

I don't share Todd's concerns. If I wasn't such a lard-arse, I'd be buying one of these >£240 scooters... they look great fun and amazing value!

Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

No pedals, so can't be used on the road. Motorized, so can't be used on the footpath. What would you use it for?

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
No pedals, so can't be used on the road. Motorized, so can't be used on the footpath. What would you use it for?
There are some road-legal pedal-less, electric motor scooters available* which do come with a certificate of conformity for easy registration, but I accept this one likely doesn't. For a couple hundred quid though, I'd take that chance on a back-water cycle track to the next local village for picking up a pint of milk or a little light shopping. It's a bit like dongled e-bikes or s-pedelecs; provided you're not being stupid or reckless, slow down and give others plenty of room and generally show some respect, most people don't seem to care.

* https://www.evoscooters.co.uk/road-legal-scooters.html

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There are some road-legal pedal-less, electric motor scooters available* which do come with a certificate of conformity for easy registration, but I accept this one likely doesn't.
No "likely" about it, it isn't legal. Just look at all the gubbins those other have to equipped with to be legal, mirrors, stoplight, number plate mounting, horn, motorcycle rated tyres etc., and the price difference in consequence!

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Yeah, I get all that flecc. Nobody's pretending it's road legal. This for me would just be a bit of occasional off-road fun, a bit of a laugh, not a serious form of transport. People blow £200+ on a night out or in half-hour in a one-armed bandit.

From what little I've seen, XiaoMi make some really great, well engineered, highly innovative products for not too much money... even though Apple did win a court case against them yesterday when XiaoMi tried to launch a tablet called "Mi Pad"!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yeah, I get all that flecc. Nobody's pretending it's road legal. This for me would just be a bit of occasional off-road fun, a bit of a laugh, not a serious form of transport. People blow £200+ on a night out or in half-hour in a one-armed bandit.

From what little I've seen, XiaoMi make some really great, well engineered, highly innovative products for not too much money... even though Apple did win a court case against them yesterday when XiaoMi tried to launch a tablet called "Mi Pad"!
It does look good, and you're right that Joe Public wouldn't be bothered about you using one. The snag could be the odd police officer who might have a down on unregistered two wheelers, and that could prove expensive with fine and confiscation, plus a threat to a present or future driving licence and future vehicle insurance cost.

D

Deleted member 4366

It's a shame that we can't use these sort of light electric vehicles. They almost come under the category of pedal assist. I was wondering whether it would be possible to lose the throttle and use a sensor on the floorboard that could sense the force when you scooted, then give say three seconds of power. Do pedals need to be rotational? What about those bikes with the walking floorboard mechanism? Does that count as pedals?

If I were a dictator in charge of the UK, I'd restrict the use of cars and encourage the use of such vehicles. We'd all be better off for it. Next election, vote for "none of the above" and we might get somewhere.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
It's a shame that we can't use these sort of light electric vehicles. They almost come under the category of pedal assist. I was wondering whether it would be possible to lose the throttle and use a sensor on the floorboard that could sense the force when you scooted, then give say three seconds of power. Do pedals need to be rotational? What about those bikes with the walking floorboard mechanism? Does that count as pedals?

If I were a dictator in charge of the UK, I'd restrict the use of cars and encourage the use of such vehicles. We'd all be better off for it. Next election, vote for "none of the above" and we might get somewhere.
The throttle on this scooter doesn't work from a standstill and requires you to scoot with your foot to launch before it becomes active. The scooter also appears to meet most of the pedelec requirements and although it doesn't feature pedals, I'd say it otherwise functions within the spirit of the law. Of course, this means absolutely nothing in regards to its legal status though. I actually quite fancied one, but I would want the throttle to operate from a standstill without having to replace the stock controller.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's a shame that we can't use these sort of light electric vehicles. They almost come under the category of pedal assist. I was wondering whether it would be possible to lose the throttle and use a sensor on the floorboard that could sense the force when you scooted, then give say three seconds of power.
I'm afraid not, this extract from the EAPC requirements shows why:

It is also illegal to use an EAPC on the road unless certain other systems are in efficient working order.

The pedals must be capable of propelling it.

This rules out scooters.

• Informative

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Is an electric scooter an EAPC (Electrically Assisted Pedal Cycle)?

To scoot with your foot is to propel the said vehicle.

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
  • Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc and LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Is an electric scooter an EAPC (Electrically Assisted Pedal Cycle)?

To scoot with your foot is to propel the said vehicle.
Not legally for an EAPC, read my post before yours, the pedals must be capable of propelling the vehicle.

Clearly that means the scooter's pedals, not a foot against the ground which doesn't involve any scooter part.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What are pedals ?

Sent from my T1005 using Tapatalk
If they can propel the scooter efficiently when not powered, treadles of various kinds are legally pedals for an EAPC.

Even handcycles are ok, feet don't have to be involved.

• Informative

Subspace

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 2, 2016
Herts
I think it is unlikely that electric scooters will be legalised, as unlike bikes I doubt they could be safely used on the road. Nor could they be used on pavements due to the risks to pedestrians.