18ah in stock at my local shop

CheKmx

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2008
Zurich
Went in to the bike shop round the corner where I bought my flyer and saw he had a couple of Raleigh Dovers, one with an 18ah battery on it. I asked him about it and he seemed to express some reservations about it and recommended me to wait for the 16 ah panasonic which he said didn't require an upgrade to use a bike set up for 8-10ah batteries. Just one caveat is that this was a conversion in Swiss german which I dint really understand so I may have misinterpreted it.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I thought that the 18 Ah battery could be used without any modifications to the bike. As you have indicated, something may have been lost in translation.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Went in to the bike shop round the corner where I bought my flyer and saw he had a couple of Raleigh Dovers, one with an 18ah battery on it. I asked him about it and he seemed to express some reservations about it and recommended me to wait for the 16 ah panasonic which he said didn't require an upgrade to use a bike set up for 8-10ah batteries. Just one caveat is that this was a conversion in Swiss german which I dint really understand so I may have misinterpreted it.
Yes, I'm practically certain he has this reversed. The Panasonic forthcoming 16 Ah is an upgrade of the 15 Ah which definitely required modification of the bike, so likely to be the same.

The 18 Ah BMZ-Derby one is standard fitting for all 10 Ah Panasonic unit systems, but it is an unknown so I can understand some reservations. I'm cautious too about any new battery type.

CheKmx

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2008
Zurich
Chap at the shop has given me a loan of an 18ah battery for next week. I will give it a go and let you know my thoughts.

C

Cyclezee

Hi CheKmx,

I look forward to reading what yo think about the battery as I have ordered one but it won't be available here until March or April.

Seasons Greetings,

J:) hn

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
Hi CheKmx,

I look forward to reading what yo think about the battery as I have ordered one but it won't be available here until March or April.

Seasons Greetings,

if you ride north with your 18a battery and ride south when i get mine....we should meet north of birmingham and it will be a long ride home.......

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

See you at Hilton Park Services Carpetbagger. Think I might take the Toll road to avoid Brum:D Actually if it was Easter, a Kalkhoff would probably be quicker than a car:rolleyes:

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
now if they had quick charge points at service stations..and the batteries would quickcharge....mmmmmmmmmmmm one for the designers..... .merry xmas and a happy pedelec new year...:)

CheKmx

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2008
Zurich
So today I went to work on my flyer, for the first time in about 2 months, and used the 18ah battery I have borrowed. First thing was that it was a bit of a squeeze to get it in place on the bike. It does go in but no where near as smoothly as the original. The second thing I noticed was only four lights came on I thought I had fully charged it but seemingly not. With this in mind and given there was half an inch of snow on the ground the ride in wasn't much of a test. I had to switch to standard assist and the journey was slow but this is no fault of the battery. As soon as I got to work at 9:15 I put the battery on to charge. When I left sometime between 16:30 and 17:00 it had only just put all five lights to lit solid. My understanding is it is not fully charged till the lights go off. The journey home was far more impressive full power all the way and still two bars lit, this with new winter studded tyres fitted rather than the supplied marathon supremes. For me the real question is do I go for an 18ah or supplement my 10ah with either a 10 or 12 ah and swap mid journey.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I have the same conundrum. I want to go touring next year on the Kalkhoff but do I go with a second 10Ah or a single 18Ah. 10Ah charges faster but I may have to charge twice....what is needed is a higher rate charger then the 18Ah would be fine.