1st Post, well overdue and looking for help with BATTERY

ACE8fun

Just Joined
Dec 18, 2011
Hi, it’s my 1st input to this site since joining a while back. (The use name is derived from my name and bike by the way. Not some pretentious superiority aspiration).
Logged in a few times and found some topics of interest but alas, this time I find myself a little lost and looking for help…
It’s been 2 years since I bought my 1st E-bike (medical reasons made it more difficult to use my regular ‘pedal-power’ bike), and it’s in daily commute (station and back)… I went for a cheaper model – ‘Sunlova 8 Fun’ bike as it spends so much time outdoors and the risk of theft. To be honest, I remain impressed with the bike’s quality ansd performance (but alas, not so with Sunlova’s limited support in the UK, lack of English language etc.)

My current problem – The battery (36V 10Aph .. not sure if that makes sense!) run out of charge last week and it will not recharge (I’ll be checking the charger (though it's only 6 months old) later).. but bottom line, I want to get a replacement battery but haven’t been able to track one on the net (size: 339 x 157 x 51 mm - my measurements). I approached Sunlova, only to be told that they have none in stock and will have to source it from their factory/supplier back in China… but the CRUNCH.. it will take 3 Months.. (I won’t share my private reaction to such incompetence, lack of: customer service, planning, management, etc.. as I’ve only just introduced myself!

I am hopping that someone here will be able to offer me guidance… to source new battery; have mine rebuilt (is that even an option?; other? … currently I’m contemplating a joint rack & battery replacement as a last (and possibly expensive) resort

Thanks

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, 36 volt 10 Ah makes sense, a very popular battery size. The long time to get on from China has several possible reasons. One is that large lithium batteries cannot be flown without a whole host of special measures for fire risk safety reasons, so they are usually shipped. Another is that shipping is generally by full containers in batches, so three months to the next container receipt including the journey time is common.

Probably the best option for an alternative is to get a battery for rack mounting from Kudos Cycles. Their 36 volt batteries are LiFePO4 types, a chemistry that gives longer life than the other types, but at the cost of slightly higher weight. Their battery is about £208, which in a market where they are often nearer £400 for that size is very good.

Even going to China direct is unlikely to beat that price for that battery size, and even if you could get the parts, rebuilding would probably cost more.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Flecc is no doubt absolutly right in what he says but two possible alternative option occur (wether it is cost effective or not I've no idea)

woosh bikes (Hatti whi is a forum member) posted a short time ago about assembling their batteris in UK. They use 8fun motors/controllers I believe. She said they were considering/or had actually started a battery repair service (sometimes there is just a bad cell or two that need replacing)

Unless I got wrong of the stick but worth an ask perhaps ? otherwise they are offering 15ah packs for £250 (bit more £ than Kudos but 50% more ah = 50% more range)

ACE8fun

Just Joined
Dec 18, 2011
Thank you both for the great (and incredibly fast) feedback. I will definitely follow up. I was expecting to pay £200 + so, the prices are in court. Just a case of finding right part/fit and ensuring compatibility with my bikes's standard electonics
Many thanks