2.4 " off road tyres

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
mine went up first time tho with a foot pump it only took an hour to get it on the rim mind :rolleyes:

• :D
Reactions: Highside43

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Tons of grip arrived !!

Tomorrow morning, after taking the dog do I fit the Magic Mary to the front to give it a try, or fit the two Smart Sams and be sensible for a bit. I think I have to try the Magic !20170303_220048.jpg

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
mary on the rear ;)

• Agree
Reactions: Steve A

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Really ?

Thought you put the grip on the front.

That is why I only bought one, to have grip on the front and a faster tyre on the back ?

So I was going to leave the Smart Sam on the back.

Not that I know anything at all about it as this is new to me.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Really ?

Thought you put the grip on the front.

That is why I only bought one, to have grip on the front and a faster tyre on the back ?

So I was going to leave the Smart Sam on the back.

Not that I know anything at all about it as this is new to me.
Grip at the front, traction at the back.

But only if you accept there's much of a difference between the two.

Some mountain bikers fit the rear tyre 'reversed' - against the rotation arrow on the sidewall - because a V-shaped tread in that configuration will supposedly give more traction.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the reason i have a sg tyre on the rear is the thickness off the side walls with low psi for more grip, with the normal ones i can rip them off the rim tho this has not happens since it was fitted.

at the front i have a normal magic mary and a hans damph sg on the rear.

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Magic on the front, no question.

A super gripping front tyre for mud and wet conditions. No more sliding out of the bottom of the front tyre, ending up on your elbow crashed. You can steer out of a rut and up on to the high side of a track to find the easiest route.

They are not perfect but they gave me back my confidence in the mud and massive fun.

I have just had the most enjoyable afternoon for ages, spent in the mud.

They are a slow rolling, noisy, soft compound tyre, I choose grip so it is staying on the front. I had been trying to balance road and mud but I choose grip every time.

Oh! SW what tyre have you got on the front!!! Pants on fire!
20170304_135913[846].jpg
Took you an hour to fit, lightweight!

SW, If you want to be really useful I could do with a spare set of wheels (29er) complete with gears and brake disks so I can swap in and out with tyres fitted for different conditions. £300 ?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my sg tyre is hans damph and got the ebay order screwed up so just had a normal magic mary and after the hassle fitting that just stuck it on and used it.

tho if is not that hard to fit ill see whats on ebay ;)

i have 27.5 wheels so not looked much at 29er tbh but should be enough for half decent wheels imo.

now you just need to fit the tyres so they line up :p

• Agree
Reactions: IR772

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Also tyres had 40 psi in.

Fitted them this morning and put 40 psi in to seat them and check leaks.

Had lunch and off I went, so did an afternoon on some hard tyres.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Christ that is double to what i use of road lol let some air out it will give you more grip like 20-25 ;)

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
By the time I realised it was too late.

I thought rather than fiddle, my backside will stick it, maybe?

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Your wrists !o_O

Lovely wheels but I need the gears and brake disk fitted, remember its me and I need easy and ready to use. Or a list of what to get.

qr ?

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Funny, I've had 2 bike fits over last 3 years and both said different things, both were well over £100 as well. I kept the info they give me working of a mean average, all to do with inside leg, arm length etc etc.
The point being that i've learned to have the correct tyre pressure for conditions, place my weight in various measure, between seat and bars, have comfy grips and gloves, right shoes etc. This does to some extend reduce cramp, sore back and pins n needles in hands.
Finally, pedalling style makes a big difference, i'm amazed at how many people just pedal with a up / down style, forgetting circular motion and where you lose power in arch.
After all that, i still get pins needles in hands and those bloody pot holes don't help :).

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Linfitter

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2012
Huddersfield
Best way to fit a bike tyre.

Equipment needed: Something to depress the valve inner bit to let the air out.

The Fitting:

First determine the way of rotation if any and the tyre pressure data. Put the tyre on the rim in the right direction with the tyre pressure data next to the rim valve hole (makes the data easier to find later if you have forgotten what the tyre pressure rating are). Next make sure that there is absolutely no air at all in the inner tube and put the tube in situ. Now push the tyre outside the rim over the rim wall at the valve point. At this point push the inner tube valve into the tyre (not all of it) so that you know that it has not been nipped by the tyre. Now proceed to push the rest of the tyre over the rim wall until it starts to get difficult.

Now comes the important bit: with finger and thumb of both hands nip the tyre walls together starting at the rim hole and again working in opposite directions pull towards you while all the while making absolutely sure the tyre walls are well and truly down in the rim well, if there is any air in the inner tube it will be at this point that it will work against you for should you relax for a moment the air in the tube will force the tyre walls to ride up the rim well making it difficult to get the rest of tyre over the rim wall. If you have followed these instructions there will be only a small section that hasn’t slipped easily over the rim and that is because at this point the tyre walls ride up the rim well and you may find that thumbs alone are not quite up to the task of pushing the last bit over the rim wall so if that is the case use the palms of your hands to push the final bit over the rim. And that is it.

Of course broader tyres with thick side walls are the hardest to ensure the walls are well down the in the well but the principle remains the same no matter what.

For a visual instruction on how not to do it watch Soundwaves video struggle!

Yours sincerely

Linfitter

That’s enough from me

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
I did laugh out loud at this professional advice.

For a Big Ben or Rapid Rob yes you can.

Magic Mary with SG is like a tractor tyre, so much so that if you did puncture it out and about I don't think with out steel tyre leavers that it would come off. With out liquid soap I don't think it would go back on again!

Related Articles

Advertisers