2 New Juicy Bikes

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
2 New Juicy Bike Sports.

First is the 14AH Version of our existing Sport Hybrid, increasing the expected average-person range to well over 40 miles. Remaining spec is as the throttle assist Sport: 36V 250W brushless Motor and numerous other important bits. Priced £ 859

Second is a general upgrade for next year, here early. We’ve decided to call it “Sport 2011” and save money on marketing!
The Big change is the 10AH battery, now standard accross the range, and which required a frame design tweak. Price £ 739

Battery options for all our bikes are on their way too.

Both bikes retain the Juicy Bike philosophy: Style with excellent value. Nothing too complicated, easy to maintain, distinctive design, proven technology, built to last.

Both new bikes will be available from September and as always, demonstration bikes will be lent-out freely from our Buxton shop. Do come and have a try!

Further details on our website

onmebike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2010
West Essex
Just had a look at your website and had a pleasant surprise.
I already own one of the sports models your advertising.
From your pic's the only difference's I can see are, mine's all black, has threadless zoom suspension forks, came with rack fitted and off road tyre's. I added Sks full mudguards and have marathon plus's to fit when I get round to it.I notice you haven't mentioned the Suzhou Bafang motor in the specs?
I think you'll do well with them. It was the unusual frame design that got my interest.
Nice to see more coming into the UK.
Good luck with your venture.

Tony.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Thanks Tony - Seems like we each made similar improvements to the original! It is indeed the Bafung motor - no need to change that in my opinion.

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
As happy owners of a pair of Classic Juicy bikes we have no hesitation suggesting that anyone within reach of Buxton goes and tries a ride on one of the bikes. Plenty of nearby hills and coffee shops .... :)
Tom & Joyce.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
As happy owners of a pair of Classic Juicy bikes we have no hesitation suggesting that anyone within reach of Buxton goes and tries a ride on one of the bikes. Plenty of nearby hills and coffee shops .... :)
Tom & Joyce.
Thanks Tom, Joyce. That's very kind of you!

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Agree with @timidtom - EcoRepublic take their bikes out onto the village square in Buxton for show, and prospective buyers may take a demo model for a proper ride if they wish. Bob and Dot were really enthusiastic about their products, and for good reason - thanks both. I visited yesterday with the 20" folder in mind, but now I've test-driven the Sport, I wonder if I now prefer that one!

As someone new to e-bikes, if anyone here is in the same boat, there's no substitute for a test ride. Feeling the motor kick in, especially with a bit of help with the twist grip on a hill-start, makes for a genuinely thrilling riding experience :D

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Really pleased you enjoyed the trial, and it was good to meet you. Thanks for the feedback which I have passed-on and thanks for taking the trouble to visit us. I wish we had more retailers...
If you found that any of our bikes were not suitable then we have a no quibble return policy.
Good luck with your seach.

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Thanks Bob. Yes the only issues with the demo bike were things I think could be tweaked locally - a whine at high speeds from the gears or motor, and misaligned handlebars (were slightly rotated clockwise in relation to the direction of the wheel). The motor on the 20" folder didn't exhibit the whine so I think it might be that the Sport has taken a bit of a battering whilst out on test. I am sure these minor issues are easily remedied.

Few additional questions if I may:

• I didn't find the standard seat particularly comfy, but I believe you have a range of replacement seats, and most people seem to swap out this component for their preferred model anyway. What would you recommend here? Something softer, or a different shape?
  • What's your experience with riding the Sport in the rain, given the sensitivity of the electronic components?
  • Whatever bike I purchase, I will need to lock it up in city centres outside coffee shops etc (yes, I'll insure it as well!). I expect to purchase a high quality D-lock and put it through the front removable wheel and main frame. Dot recommended removing the battery when leaving the bike unattended, and I presume given that it is removable, the seat should be taken as well. Is this the recommended procedure, and how do people cope with lugging all these items around, given how heavy they are?

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Yes, the handlebars had been adjusted several times that day to suit various riders and the seat swapped around also. When you come back (hope you do!) we can try a variety. In general guys prefer a narrower seat to women.

We've never experienced any problems with weather on any of our bikes. We have had several testimonies from riders who have used the Sport in all weathers and seasons, regularly and, for some, unavoidably. You should be able to find some around this site.

Did Dot explain that the battery is locked into position? You can unlock and remove it for complete security and the front wheel also has a quick release as standard. You should find that all e-bikes have a locking battery, enough to make life awkward for an opportunist thief.

I rarely use more than a cable lock on mine, which stays permanently with the bike, however I live in a low-crime area. I would leave the battery locked in the bike and lock the front wheel to the frame and around a lamppost or some such.

Dot lives in Bethnal Green and has more respect for criminals! She has a D Lock and reduced her insurance premium by using an Imobitag; a tracking device that fits inside the seat stem and which costs £13.

Security is always going to be an issue and I'm probably not the best practitioner. This sounds like a useful new topic for wider discussion on these forums!

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Thanks for the reply. I think it is likely I will be back - I have been recommended by folks here to try a range of bikes, but I am struggling to find other products that are as good looking as the Sport, for roughly the same price point. Having previously really liked the Wisper and Urban Mover folders, I have had a raft of people warn me against front wheel drive bikes in the wet, and I am inclined to take their advice!

There is also the Sunlova range but the distributors don't appear to be particularly enthusiastic about letting customers try their bikes - a Saturday viewing was available only after much persistence :rolleyes:

Yes, on your Sport I was shown that it has two locks: one for the ignition, and the other locking the battery into place (it took us a while to figure out that's why we couldn't remove it!). Birmingham city centre during the day has a fairly low crime rate, but I'll be locking up in Digbeth and Hockley as well, which are not so great. I think I would take your advice and leave the battery in situ; lugging that around, with a rucksack/laptop as well, is just going to be a lot of hassle.

Without question I'd use a D-lock where I am. I've seen some really solid ones, but unfortunately they cost 60GBP! I will get a tag as well - good idea.

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Btw, if I fancied the extra range on the 14Ah battery, what is the replacement cost for that unit? Your site specifies £198 but I presume that's for the 10Ah capacity device.

Presumably the bike electronics are otherwise the same between 10Ah and 14Ah, and they are charged by the same model of charger? If so, can users buy a Sport with one battery, and then later buy the other battery and still have everything work?

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
14AH Sport Battery for Current 2010 model is £343, to existing Sport owners who trade-in their old battery. A new charger would be required for the 14AH battery costing £29.

TonyReisman

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 10, 2010
Hi
I'm looking to purchase a number of bikes for a small cycle courier business. Do you do deals? :) !
What are the main differences between your bikes and the more expensive varieties?
Tony

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hi Tony
Thanks for the interest. Of course we can offer discounts for larger orders, but it's best we talk off-line about that.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Measured traditionally, 20". However the curved twin top tubes allow a greater range. Inside leg is more appropriate I think, minimum being about 28" Hope this helps.

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
14AH Sport Battery for Current 2010 model is £343, to existing Sport owners who trade-in their old battery. A new charger would be required for the 14AH battery costing £29.
Thanks for the info :)