2 Year, 8000 mile Review of Kalkhoff Pro-Connect

c_elder

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2007
I have placed a long term review of the bike in the reviews section. I'll attempt to answer any any additional questions about living with the 2008 model although this may not be as quick as I would like.

I'd also like to apologise to iangrimmett who PM'ed me about the performance of the bike an embarrassingly long time ago but which I only got by logging into my account recently.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks c elder, a really excellent long term report which will be very helpful for prospective purchasers.

For such prospective customers, I'd add that the 24 spoke wheels that gave spoke trouble are no longer current, these models have reliable 36 spoke wheels now.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Thanks for the review. Being a Pro Conect owner, it made interesting reading.
I was particularly interested to hear about battery performance. My battery which has now been used for about 3000 miles (exchanged just over 12 months ago) is showing definite signs of wear. I have had the usual 4, even 3 lights on the capacity check through the winter, but ignored this as I thought it was the cold weather. However, performing the "conditioning discharge" has not brought the capacity check back to 5 lights for any period of time. The capacity check drops back to 4 lights after a couple of uses of the battery. I have also reached the point where very soon, I will have to recharge the battery at work to get home.

Just over 12 months ago, the battery would have probably taken me to work, back home and to work again. There is a definite and significant reduction in battery performance.

I see from your reveiw that you have had a similar experience. Which brings me to my next question, "Have you considered this to be a warranty issue"? I can't make my mind up on this one. The battery is guaranteed for two years, but what should we expect. What is an acceptable reduction in performance? If it is sold as a 10 Ah battery guaranteed for two years, is it reasonable to expect to have a 10 Ah battery for the duration of that period? If not, what should we expect?

Tom

c_elder

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2007
... Which brings me to my next question, "Have you considered this to be a warranty issue"? I can't make my mind up on this one. The battery is guaranteed for two years, but what should we expect. What is an acceptable reduction in performance? If it is sold as a 10 Ah battery guaranteed for two years, is it reasonable to expect to have a 10 Ah battery for the duration of that period? If not, what should we expect?
Even though I said that the battery life was below expectation, I consider this a wear and tear issue on the basis that degradation is a known issue on all rechargeable batteries.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The battery is guaranteed for two years, but what should we expect. What is an acceptable reduction in performance? If it is sold as a 10 Ah battery guaranteed for two years, is it reasonable to expect to have a 10 Ah battery for the duration of that period? If not, what should we expect?

Tom
Battery University website has this on lithium battery life, the reference to spinel or manganese being applicable for the Panasonic battery:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Aging of lithium-ion is an issue that is often ignored. A lithium-ion battery in use typically lasts between 2-3 years. The capacity loss manifests itself in increased internal resistance caused by oxidation. Eventually, the cell resistance reaches a point where the pack can no longer deliver the stored energy although the battery may still have ample charge. For this reason, an aged battery can be kept longer in applications that draw low current as opposed to a function that demands heavy loads. Increasing internal resistance with cycle life and age is typical for cobalt-based lithium-ion, a system that is used for cell phones, cameras and laptops because of high energy density. The lower energy dense manganese-based lithium-ion, also known as spinel, maintains the internal resistance through its life but loses capacity due to chemical decompositions. Spinel is primarily used for power tools.

The speed by which lithium-ion ages is governed by temperature and state-of-charge. Figure 1 illustrates the capacity loss as a function of these two parameters.
[/FONT]

You can deduce from this that at our UK temperatures and normally fully charging the battery, around 85% of capacity at one year is reasonable, so possibly 70% at 2 years with around the same rate of decline.

However, we are still in a time of colder temperatures, and lower temperatures increase internal resistance and restrict capacity. As the weather warms more, your batteries will regain some extra capacity.

Two more factors apply of course. Fully discharging the battery often reduces it's life more rapidly than one which is frequently part charged. Also the rate of discharge affects life, the harder the battery is worked, the shorter the life.

Last edited:

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
I'm interested in the Richmond Park service you mention in your long term test. I live in New Malden, so very near the park.

I know there's was a bike hire place, though I've never seen an electric bike other than mine in the park.

I must have a look as the one thing that makes me unhappy about my Kalkhoff is having one dealer only, 140 miles away. So if the bike needed leaving over and picking up, I'd have nearly 600 miles to drive. How green is that? :rolleyes:

Are their service prices expensive?

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
I must have a look as the one thing that makes me unhappy about my Kalkhoff is having one dealer only, 140 miles away. So if the bike needed leaving over and picking up, I'd have nearly 600 miles to drive. How green is that? :rolleyes:

Are their service prices expensive?
I thought 50 cycles have some sort of presence in London or Surrey?

c_elder

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2007
I'm interested in the Richmond Park service you mention in your long term test... So if the bike needed leaving over and picking up... Are their service prices expensive?
That is the place, near Roehampton Gate. The person who runs the store, operates an informal service since he has two Kalkhoffs for rent from 50 Cycles. Please note that he does not offer a full service but has carried out more difficult tasks like replace the back wheels and cogs (difficult for me anyway). He is a very nice chap and his prices, compared to Evans for example, leave you thinking whether or not you've taken advantage of him. I always pay him more than he asks for anyways (something I don't do for Evans).

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
Thanks for the review - good to hear of that the reliability has been so good over a much longer distance than I have ridden on my ProConnect.

I was interested to read about your chain maintenance - using more than one chain and regularly putting one in soak.

Which make of chain, or more particularly, which type of joining link have you found to be easiest for regular changeovers ?

I noticed that some types of joining link are quite wide, and can occasionally catch where they pass through the Panasonic chain tensioner.

Thanks
James

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
I always pay him more than he asks for anyways (something I don't do for Evans).
Thanks. I'm similar, (very) occasionally something seems too cheap and I pay more.

I must say that I've found Evans in Kingston much more amenable than my LBS who told me in no uncertain terms what they thought of e-bikes.

c_elder

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2007
...Which make of chain, or more particularly, which type of joining link have you found to be easiest for regular changeovers ?

I noticed that some types of joining link are quite wide, and can occasionally catch where they pass through the Panasonic chain tensioner...
James
I use the SRAM PC1 1/8" chain but, more importantly as you pointed out, I use the KMC Universal Connector 1/8" Chain Link (both from Evans). The latter is a 3 component link where the locking link does not go all the way around (the ends are about 1 mm apart). This allows me to see where the link is and it can be dissambled in seconds using a thin-nose pair of pliers. I then use a small flat bladed screw driver to push the locking link back on.

I have to admit that, initially, I was scared that the link might come flying off at any time (and carry a spare) but it has not done so for 2, almost 3 thousand miles. In fact, I've never had any kind of problem with the link at all.

Also, when I exchange the chain, I use a toothbrush and white spirit to clean the cogs (this is what takes the bulk of the 45 minutes). The incoming chain obviously also needs to be oiled.

Last edited:

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
I use the SRAM PC1 1/8" chain but, more importantly as you pointed out, I use the KMC Universal Connector 1/8" Chain Link (both from Evans). The latter is a 3 component link where the locking link does not go all the way around (the ends are about 1 mm apart)..
Thanks for a great report. My wife's and my Pro Connects have only covered about 3,500 miles each over the same period - all of it leisure cycling but ours reflect some of your early experiences (thankfully no problems (yet) with my rear 24 spoker - the 2 year warranty is up in June!!). I'm having trouble locating the chain and more importantly the universal link on th Evans website - can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Mike

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
Thanks for a great report. My wife's and my Pro Connects have only covered about 3,500 miles each over the same period - all of it leisure cycling but ours reflect some of your early experiences (thankfully no problems (yet) with my rear 24 spoker - the 2 year warranty is up in June!!). I'm having trouble locating the chain and more importantly the universal link on th Evans website - can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Mike
Mike, I couldn't see the link on the Evans website, but here it is at SJS.

I am fairly certain that this is the one that c_elder is using. Please would you confirm.

Thanks
James

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
Mike, I couldn't see the link on the Evans website, but here it is at SJS.
Thanks James.

Which side does the spring clip go, does it face the wheel or outwards or doesn't it matter?

Mike

c_elder

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2007
... I couldn't see the link on the Evans website, but here it is at SJS.

I am fairly certain that this is the one that c_elder is using. Please would you confirm...
That is the one. I believe that, for Evans, both are in-store items only. There are no clear instructions for which way around the locking clip goes but it made sense to me that the gap is trailng as the chain goes around. That is, as you kneel on the right hand side the bike (front wheel on your right) with the chain-break on the bottom and with the clip on your side, then the gap is to the right (hope that makes sense).

I always have the clip outwards as this makes it easier to both see and put on / take off.

Last edited:

c_elder

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2007
... My wife's and my Pro Connects have only covered about 3,500 miles each over the same period...
At that sort of distance I presume that your chain has stretched. When this happens, the teeth on the cogs will also wear to the new shape of the chain. Simply replacing the chain may cause slipping. You might find that you will also need to replace the cogs. Keeping the cogs and chain in-synch is one of the reasons why I rotate the chains on a weekly basis. Hope this helps.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Also, when I exchange the chain, I use a toothbrush and white spirit to clean the cogs (this is what takes the bulk of the 45 minutes). The incoming chain obviously also needs to be oiled.
Do you find that you can still taste the white spirit when you come to clean your teeth? Or do you use the wife's toothbrush?