2007 Giant twist

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Flecc thanks for those tips. I think they will help (as in I didnt do those things you mentioned, Im used to deraillers and so....). I will try them at my earliest convenience (its xmas and my wife is very persistant).

50 cycles - to be honest, it was all about hill climbing. I would LOVE a Torq, but it cannot match the twist (according to everyone that owns both) for hill climbing, and where I live, thats a major factor.

Personally, I think/have always percieved (before I knew of elec-bikes that is) that mtbs and/or racers were the only real bikes worth any consideration at all. Ive grown up in the uk and know nothing of the dutch or american bikes and their style-isms.

To me the twist (which Ive bought), on paper, looks like I should consider delivering mail on my way to work - and in fact, when my work colleagues saw the pictue of the bike I have bought, they asked if I wouldnt mind posting a few parcels on the way home at night (cheeky b's)

We really are conditioned well arent we, "If it doesnt look like an mtb or a racer, and your not wearing lycra, then it isnt a bike." ......and how long have there actually been mtbs??? I remember the Raleigh Boxer, was that the first mass produced mtb??

The Sprint was a real contender. The only concerns I had on the Sprint (apart from the fact it was out of stock, and for the fact that everyone that owned a twist said the Sprint was, 'nearly as good') was mainly the looks. Dont get me wrong, the Sprint is a good looking bike. But if I was to get overtaken on a hill by a Twist (which I think looks better) when I could have bought one.....well, kicking myself wouldnt come into it.

Having said all this, I am still really interested in 3 of the 50 cycles bikes, the Sprint, Torq, and Quando (I REALLY like the Quando, esp if it could fold smaller). I think they are really really good bikes, and have fantastic 'potential'. If they had better hill climbing, then they would earn a reputation that matches or even surpasses the Twists', and to be emulated.

Does that help answer your question?

John

Last edited:

derrick7

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2007
Llanberis LL55 4TD (Snowdonia)
Giant Twist 1.0 & 2.0 in 2007

The Twists have 2 batteries mounted & locked on to the pannier frame, one on either side, the pannier bags hide them.
On the handlebar there is a changeover switch (left - off - right) you can only use
one battery at any one time, they get the range simply by having 2 batteries instead
of the usual 1! But who lives in place where the roads are always horizontal & there
is never any wind? Who would bother with power assistance on a bike if that ever
existed!
I live 200 yards from the Snowdon Mountain Railway station (the bottom, not the top)
so you can guess flat roads & no wind aren't common round here.
I own a Giant Lafree (bought 10/12/2004) the new Twists interested me until I tried one,
for me the "sit up & beg" riding position I don't like (I think they have shortened the
wheel- base compared with the Lafree) & the poor Sanyo hub motor they have fitted
put me of buying it.I now have to re-cell my Lafree after 60 recharges from the date above
I have ordered 20 Ansmann "D" cells 8000mAh/battery at £178.00; what will that give me? derrick7:confused:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If that's the Ansmann button end cells, they won't fit Derek, too wide for the case once they are soldered together.

It's much safer to fit a prepared cellpack like that from the Powacycle battery, same capacity and only £99 complete. That saves you loads of work as well as lots of money.

See here.

It would be best top cancel that other order immediately.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
P.S. to my above post to you Derek:

Those old cells should be ok at that age and number of charges. Have you tried discharging and recharging on the charger?

derrick7

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2007
My Lafree battery

I was surprised that the battery faded so soon, I used to get 22/24 miles between charges, I now get a max. of about 4 miles. The charger & the battery were sent back to Giant & they said the charger was OK but the battery failed the "drop test" (whatever that is?) so I presumed the battery is shot.:mad:
The charger takes about an hour before the blinking "fully charged" LED comes on, I've tried charging again after 1/2 hour but then it only takes 1/2 hour before it starts to blink again! I suspect that the battery is much older than 2 years 9 months, the manual that came with the bike has the date 2002 on the cover. But I still thought I would get 400 re-
charges!
The Ansmann batteries I have cancelled.
The charger is a Panasonic by the way.
I have tried the new Twist, but until someone comes out with a bike that is SUBSTANTIALLY better than the Lafree I will keep my money in my pocket.
PS The meter on the battery I find is almost useless (it shows 5 LEDS or 1!) I set my odometer/mileometer to zero on recharge & at 21 miles I assume it's almost finished.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That sounds like one cell has failed Derek, and that finishes an NiMh battery since a new one can't be added into an old pack without risk of blowing the whole set. This is the first Panasonic pack I've heard of failing so prematurely, they are usually top quality, though expensive.

The Twist battery meters are very sensitive, so if you recell using the information on my site, make sure the sensor strip is transferred from the old pack to the new Powacycle one exactly as described. The meter will then normally show full charge immediately even before charging, but after one charge and discharge cycle it will normally read ok if it's circuit isn't faulty.

I agree about the new Twist, it's an insult to your model that they used the name again on it.

oznog

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2007
Cumbria
Twist vx. Sprint

Hi John in Stockie

I am interested why you decided to choose a Twist for your new mode of transport over say a full powered Ezee Sprint or Torq with most accessories already included to help you get straight on the road with no hassles.

Have you tried many other Electric bikes before purchasing the twist or owned an Electric Bike previously?

Best regards

50cycles
Hello Just to put in my two cents. I first tried a sprint as it was a nearby demonstrator. It was in my opinion very much a moped (similar to an old puch i had as a teenager) I would never want to try and pedal it with no power as it weighed a ton! I now have a giant lite (from NYCE wheels) and even with the battery it weighs little more than my previous dutch style commuter bike without battery less! I find I can cycle from bradford to leeds(about a 13 mile journey one way) and still have 4 out of 5 battery bars, as I am able to turn off the assist and pedal along the way. I was straight on the road with no hassles after a local bike shop helped with standard bike assembly.

I think that if you are a cyclist wanting a little bit of extra help, many models simply weigh too much to be practical. As far as accessories, most bicycles don't come fully outfitted, so I wasn't too bothered about adding my own rack and mud guards. Perhaps it is my view that electric bicyles are a great way at extending the acceptable (in the rider's view) range of a bicycle vx. moving to a car, (or having to keep a schedule for public transport). And it is worrying that the majority of electric bikes look like bikes but are so highly powered that one need not pedal at all (nor could they move the heft of it either!) what of the fitness benefits?:confused:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Your right that for those who just want a bit of assist, the Lafree Twist series were the best by a huge margin, and it's sad that they were discontinued.

However, things can be different when in constantly hilly areas, towing trailers etc. I own a Twist, plus two eZee bikes, and it's the Twist that does virtually nothing now and one of the eZee bikes that does nearly all the work.

Why? Because the Twist only copes very slowly with permanently hilly territory, despite high input from me, and even more slowly when heavy load trailer pulling on hills. That eZee bike does the job far more effectively without being stuck with long periods at 4 or 5 mph on mile or more hills and when towing on them. And I get plenty of exercise too in those circumstances, just adding whatever I want, from all the effort through to not very much, depending on what performance I want.

In other words, the eZee bike gives me the choice, the Twist leaves no options but to still work hard when the load or hills are tough, since it's 1/1 power system demands I always put in a minimum of half the work, no matter how hard that work is.

The other Twist system problem is that it only contributes power at very low cadences, and at cycling efficient cadences it gives no help at all. That's not good, either medically or for all cycling circumstances. So despite it's many advantages, they still didn't get it all right, where a human operating a throttle can get it right for all circumstances.

Jeanette Morgan

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2006
CORNWALL
My choice, living in Cornwall and having a very hilly commute to work and back is the Sprint. I have owned a Giant Lafree Comfort 2004 to 2006 and would not have one again for the very reason that you have to keep peddling to gain any assistance, no matter how loaded your bike is, or how tired you feel. With the Sprint I can carry quite a heavy load on the front and on the back, as well as myself!! and get up all the hills with no problem and steadily, sometimes I assist the bike and other times, particularly when the roads are narrow with passing traffic I let the bike carry me up electrically.

Before this I had a Heinzmann electric conversion to my Brompton and this was very good for hill climbing as well, however, the bike was rather small being a folder, I now prefer the sturdiness and comfort of the Ezee Sprint.

Obviously it is a very personal choice, but I, and my husband who is recovering from heart surgery and ongoing cardiac problems, really enjoy our Sprint bikes.

Jeanette

prState

Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
I don't have a hilly commute, but if I could get a "cruise" control on my Twist, I might not consider buying another bike, until this one is beyond repair.

My charger has never failed, my nexus 4 speed hub hasn't disintegrated, my circuit board hasn't fried, and my original battery pack (though weaker now) is going on 4 years one month now.

It is a great nimble stop and go bike. By that I mean, if you have lots of varied terrain, through parking lots, up small grades, and even through the grass, it is great, and shifting to appropriate gear becomes natural.

I might be irrational about the bike at this point. :) to the point when a lycra rider passes me, (which they do all the time) that I consider that he's just having a good day and I'll take him tomorrow :cool:

derrick7

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2007
An alternative to the Lafree

I was going to sell my Lafree & buy the new Twist, since I tried the new Twist I have changed my mind, this has made me ponder what other e-bike would I choose if I were to sell my Lafree.
The conclusion I have come to is I would go for the eZee Forte, it's a pity that Loughborough is so far from Llanberis, I don't have a car anymore, a long way to go for 30 mins. for a trial/look.
The Forte has the 8 speed Shimano hub gear & ever since I tried the 3 speed Shimano on my Lafree I would not go back to derailleurs ever again, the 3 speed has performed faultlessly, no mess, no chain coming off & no adjustment in 2 & 1/2 years. I have heard or read that the 8 speed is better than the 7 speed, not just the extra gear.
Like Jeanette Morgan's husband I suffer with cardiac problems (very occasional twinges of angina - I had a quadruple coronary artery bypass 17 years ago) that's why I would like a throttle control, so I can stop pedalling for two or three minutes & still continue on my journey.

Last edited:

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Nigel

The giant twist to me was a classic for its time its appeal to me was because it was almost a normal push bike and it looked good with some extra help on those hills as others have said gone but not forgotten but times change and i would not swap my torq for any other electric bike at this present time:D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
All the above owner postings on this page highlight the truth, that there is no one answer for all, the variations in terrain, cycling type, rider age, health, experience and requirements produce many different answers.

The only thing that can be said on this with any degree of certainty is that the Twist is the best as an unpowered ride, whether with or without the battery fitted. No production hub motor bike has matched it's normal bike characteristics yet, and most fall well short of that.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
All the mentions above are about the Lafree Twist Derek, but we still say Twist in here because Lafree is not used in the USA and we have many US members.

We're well aware of the much inferior later Twist I and II, no-one in here owns one, so we quietly ignore it and hope it will go away sooner rather than later. :)

See here for the Lafree Twist story with the US bikes at the foot of the page.

prState

Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
All the mentions above are about the Lafree Twist Derek, but we still say Twist in here because Lafree is not used in the USA and we have many US members.

We're well aware of the much inferior later Twist I and II, no-one in here owns one, so we quietly ignore it and hope it will go away sooner rather than later. :)

See here for the Lafree Twist story with the US bikes at the foot of the page.

Hey Flecc, just to muddle things possibly, this is the way I understand the versions for here.

E-Trans, E-Race, and E-World = U.S. “Lafree Sport”

Lafree Twist Lite = U.S. “Lafree Lite” (I never actually heard the “Twist” designation until I saw your page and the board). Also, I’m not sure if the U.S. version had the 3 speed, but I know after my 2003 Nexus 4 speed hub, they went to the Sram 5 speed. 2004...

And I’m not all sure about the next U.S. giant version, versus the Uks except that the only one I know of is referred to as the “Suede”, and has the change to a 36 volt front hub motor.

ALSO, people talk about the heavyness of say the The Sprint. Is it anywhere near as bulky as the E-Trans/Race/World? I remember how large our version (the Sport) that bike was when I saw it.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Those lead acid bikes were a different story prState.

None of us here refer to the Original Lafree such as the e-trans, e-sprt etc which was never referred to as a Twist, and was only known as the Lafree both here and in the USA.

The much lighter Lafree with the Twist name also followed it, full name being Giant Lafree Twist Lite, but US dealers protested about the name, and one West Coast dealer, Eric Sundin, suggested it just be the Giant Lite there and Giant agreed. However, many owners there also occasionally use the Twist name as well, so I refer to both Twist and Lite for the USA, though strictly speaking it's only Lite. I'll amend my site to make that more clear.

The US versions had the same gear series as ours, first Nexus 3 and Nexus 4, then later the SRAM 5 after the Nexus 4 was withdrawn by Shimano.

The US bikes are stripped to our eyes, no lighting, mudguards or carriers, all of ours having those.

The Sprint is nothing like as bulky or heavy as the e-trans etc, which were tanks in comparison. That heavy e- series was badly received here and sold very few before being quickly replaced, but they sold better in the USA while available, and I think e-bikers there are probably more aware of them.

P.S. Site page now amended to give clearer US history.

Last edited: