2011 Kalkhoff BionX

C

Cyclezee

Well, the extra 2.5% bit maybe. Works out at around 1.3 pence per member.
In that case my cheque for 1.3p is in the post..............without a stamp:p
Now if every member did that the excess postage payable would be far more than the Vat on the new moto rhome:(
Maybe then Eddieo wouldn't feel so bad about paying the extra 2.5% after all :D

J:) HN

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Noooooo its a £40000 + camper :(

AND £ - Euro exchange rate has fallen (again) from 1.22 to 1.15 in a couple of weeks........

Last edited:

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
We've had the first delivery of Kalkhoff Image B27 bikes today - our workshop manager prepped one and took it out for a spin. His comments so far are:

"Holy ****! it's got some go to it!"

And once he'd given the matter more consideration:

"It feels very good, very powerful from the off then it seems to settle a bit, must just be the poke to get you going. But I'm very impressed with it."

vectra

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2011
We've had the first delivery of Kalkhoff Image B27 bikes today - our workshop manager prepped one and took it out for a spin. His comments so far are:

"Holy ****! it's got some go to it!"

And once he'd given the matter more consideration:

"It feels very good, very powerful from the off then it seems to settle a bit, must just be the poke to get you going. But I'm very impressed with it."
Tim Hi.

The B27 Ladies step through interests my wife. We both have a couple of concerns which you may be able to answer. She is certain that the bike, without power assistance, should ride as near as possible like a normal non-e bike. We have both tried the Panasonic System which appears to offer no or minimal resistance when "off-power".

Can you describe the resistance to wheel rotation from the powered wheel? I.e a non powered wheel would rotate, when spun, for quite some time. How does the B27 perform agains a non-e wheel.

Second is weight. We carry our bikes on the roof of our estate (we tow a caravan) hence weight minus battery is important . What is the weight minus battery?

Thank you.
Regards
vectra

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
This is not a good test of motor drag. Wheels that carry on spinning for minutes often feel like porridge when ridden without power. Don't take anybody's word for it - try before you buy.

Ps the bionx motor is quite good when it comes to riding un-powered.

Last edited:

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
We've had the first detailed review in from a Kalkhoff Image B27 owner - quite useful as he worked out how to set up the alarm/immobiliser system which isn't made abundantly clear, even in the latest manual Kalkhoff have provided.

We've also had a load of new reviews in for the
If there's a common theme it's that our customers love their bikes and consider them the best thing they have ever bought. I don't know how many other businesses sell products that get comparable levels of enthusiasm and actual, professed love from their owners. If you're in the market for an electric bike you seriously need to at least consider a Kalkhoff.

Anyway, here's the Kalkhoff Bionx review:

Why electric?
I have just got an electric bike after more than 50 years of cycling, the last 30 years of which were on a 5-speed Raleigh Richmond. This was a ‘lightweight sport' - Reynolds tubing, skinny wheels - that I could easily lift over styles. It is a lovely bike but I have never lifted it over a style and I'm unlikely want to do so in future. The only time I took it off road recently I got a very sore backside.

Having passed 65 I have a little more time to get out. I'm reasonably fit and walk a lot but would like to roam further afield without feeling guilty about the eco-damage from using the car. So I'd like to cycle a bit more. But even in leafy Hertfordshire, in the tail-end of the Chilterns, we are surrounded by surprisingly steep hills. And the road surfaces are abominable - I destroyed a £150 tyre and £300 wheel on my car in a single pothole recently.

And my knees are shot - 3 out of 4 of my cartilages have been hacked about.

And then I heard about electrically assisted bicycles.

My needs
I want something for (very) rough roads and occasional unmetalled country lanes - without having to stand on the pedals to avoid discomfort.

I want to get to the nearby towns and villages, over those hills, without straining my knees and without having to get off.

I do not need a huge range - I am unlikely to want to travel more than 50 miles at a time, and I don't need assistance for all that time.

Why Kalkhoff?
I looked at the offerings of all the major suppliers of e-bikes in the UK. I excluded anything that didn't come with mudguards. (Maybe it's my age, but I just don't get the appeal of that mudstreak down your back.)

While I found others that met the basic spec., Kalkhoff seems to be among the most up-to-date in the technology it is using and has a reputation for quality. And it was the only one I found that had a BionX model. I had heard less than favourable reports of BionX, but I was intrigued by the technology.

Why the Image B27?
50cycles were very helpful. I drove to Loughborough to try out the Pro Connect Disc (Panasonic) and the Image B27 (BionX). Matt was patient as I dithered.

I was attracted by the long-life battery of the Connect. And having cut my cycling teeth on Sturmey Archer (with one of their early TWO-speed hubs), I liked the 8-speed hub gears of the Connect. But I really did not its long wheel-base.

I had read that the BionX was not so good for hills, which given my needs was a concern. But when I rode it the umph I felt from moderate assistance was at least as good as the Panasonic-Connect. And in the highest assistance mode, it was just remarkable.

Eventually I chose the B27 for the ‘feel' - a combination, I think, of the shorter wheelbase and that torque. I took my chances with range and hills.

Ordering and Delivery
No problem: 50cycles arranged delivery on the specific day I wanted, and it arrived just fine.

Experience
Early days yet, but I am very pleased with the choice I made.

That umph (even on ‘A2') is just great for taking off from a standstill.

The B27 has 27 gears which took a bit of getting used to after the Richmond, but even without assistance they enabled me to get further up some of those hills than I've managed before. Even so, I began to flag, so tried the assistance - A2 and maybe A3 for a short while - and sailed up hills I'd never managed before. I have not found any problem with the support that it provides for hill-climbing - it has been just great for me.

I'd heard that the generative mode was not a big deal in that it does not add much to your range. But a huge benefit is that when freewheeling downhill you can just select a mode to go down at the speed you want. No gripping onto the brakes for dear life. I realised I was grinning to myself (not a pretty sight) when I first realised this: any regeneration to the battery is a bonus.

And the generative mode is automatically engaged when you apply the brakes. Very nice.

And .. it fits in that shed.

Adjustments (so far)
First off: note that it comes with the rear brake to the right. Bad news for an old geezer set in his ways of grasping the left brake first in an emergency: I could see myself going over the handlebars. So I swapped them over. Note that by loosening a screw you can adjust the angle of the reservoir tanks on the Auriga e-sub brakes which not only enables you to set them vertical again, it also relieves strain on the hydraulic lines. But unless you change the hydraulic lines to the BionX console (which I did not fancy) you have to move the console to the left handlebar. I did that (and you can reprogram the controls on the console between sides to suit, if you want).

Then I found that as the bike was supplied the position of my arms became very uncomfortable after a while. So I turned the handlebars round so that they droop and trail and shortened them by about 4cm each side. I would have liked to have taken another cm. or two off, but that was as far as I could go while still having space for the brakes and gear shifters. Maybe I'll get some shorter grips and cut them a bit further some time. Another advantage of shortening the bars was that I could now remount the console on the right-hand side, albeit on the wide part of the bars next to the stem.

I'll probably continue to tinker with saddle and handlebars to get my position even better, but I am enjoying using it now.

Easter Egg
There is a feature that is not mentioned in the manual - an alarm. However ...

First find/set your PIN. Press + and - at the same time and you will see a preset PIN. If you want, you can change it to a PIN of our own choosing.

Now press the power button and the + button at the same time: the BionX goes into alarm mode in which it is set to maximum generative mode (so it moves as if through very heavy treacle) and more than a quarter turn of the rear wheel sets the battery box beeping.

To unset it, press any button and enter your PIN.

If it all goes wrong, remove the battery, wait a few moments and put it back again.

I've no idea why this is not mentioned in the manual - it is in the manual for the earlier console (albeit in slightly different form).

Summary
Great - love it.

Kalkhoff Image B27 BionX Electric Bike | Testimonials

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Please can you tell us how much replacement batteries are (from an old seasoned electric biker!)?

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Please can you tell us how much replacement batteries are (from an old seasoned electric biker!)?

From what I understand, having looked at prices both here and in Canada, as a rough rule of thumb, they cost about one pillow case full of £5 notes (when discounted). When considering BionX bikes, you don't need to investigate their pros & cons any further.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Shame we are getting silence from 50 cycles over the price - thought they might get a good discount from bionx in order to sell the things. The Bionx is great but the capacity is poor and with the replacement price I can't see many sales.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Good news

Sorry for the delay, we wanted to get a definitive answer which is.... £495 including VAT & delivery.

The Kalkhoff Image B27 is currently £1995 on our website but we're about to do a £100 off promotion for our email newsletter subscribers (you can subscribe here - we send an email out about one a month). Using promotional code BionXcellent (I thought of that one myself) will shave £100 off at checkout.

Last edited:

vectra

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2011
Sorry for the delay, we wanted to get a definitive answer which is.... £495 including VAT & delivery.

The Kalkhoff Image B27 is currently £1995 on our website but we're about to do a £100 off promotion for our email newsletter subscribers (you can subscribe here - we send an email out about one a month). Using promotional code BionXcellent (I thought of that one myself) will shave £100 off at checkout.
Tim Hi.
Can you quote me the weight of the stepththrough to include and exclude battery?
Regards
vectra

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
Is the 250 an electronically restricted 350 motor

Is the '250' motor supplied in the Bionx UK spec kits simply an electrically restricted version of the '350' motor supplied in the states?

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Tim Hi.
Can you quote me the weight of the stepththrough to include and exclude battery?
Regards
vectra
Hi vectra, approximate weight for 45cm DT (stepthrough) version is 24kg with battery, around 21.5kg without