2018 type approval for EAPC with full speed throttle.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
Does any one know anything about this ? Where will the test facilities be ? SVA test centres ? Will they be in place before 1.1.2018 ? How much will it cost ? How will homebuilt bikes be affected ? What will be tested day, time driving lights,Tyres,reflectors ??

Sent from my D101 using Tapatalk

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's still under early stages of discussion so nothing has been decided yet. It could be as much as a year before we know much more.

There's no current plans for SVA for single builds.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
It's still under early stages of discussion so nothing has been decided yet. It could be as much as a year before we know much more.

There's no current plans for SVA for single builds.
So a homebuilt bike with throttle is now a moped and needs MSVA. Something needs to put in place for home builds.

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
So a homebuilt bike with throttle is now a moped and needs MSVA. Something needs to put in place for home builds.
We need regulations for home builds.
I suggest that the kits need to have certificate of conformity.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
We need regulations for home builds.
I suggest that the kits need to have certificate of conformity.
You would think they would have one allready. My xiongda did not come with one,I have one for my Macalister batteries I'm using.

Sent from my D101 using Tapatalk

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I get very strange looks when I say that I mounted the kit myself and that top speed is limited to 25 km/h. Everyone assumes that because you mount a kit yourself it is going to be a 45 km/h flame breathing monster...

Reactions: trex

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
I get very strange looks when I say that I mounted the kit myself and that top speed is limited to 25 km/h. Everyone assumes that because you mount a kit yourself it is going to be a 45 km/h flame breathing monster...
Same here,and they all say what I can't have a throttle may as well get a fast one.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
SVA never precedes type approval regulations, since it's usually based on the type approval requirements. So we'll probably have to wait until 2018 or later for single build pedelec SVA.

Reactions: craiggor

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Home builds are outside the regulation 168/2013 it will be a matter for the uk government to determine:

CHAPTER I

SUBJECT MATTER, SCOPE AND DEFINITIONS

Article 1

Subject matter

1. This Regulation establishes the administrative and technical requirements for the type-approval of all new vehicles, systems, components and separate technical units referred to in Article 2(1).

This Regulation does not apply to the approval of individual vehicles. However, Member States granting such individual approvals shall accept any type-approval of vehicles, systems, components and separate technical units granted under this Regulation instead of under the relevant national provisions.

2. This Regulation establishes the requirements for the market surveillance of vehicles, systems, components and separate technical units which are subject to approval in accordance with this Regulation. This Regulation also establishes the requirements for the market surveillance of parts and equipment for such vehicles.

3. This Regulation is without prejudice to the application of legislation on road safety.

Reactions: craiggor

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
The DVLA wants to close more of the test centres and also says it wants to rid itself of SVA for autos,even though they keep raising the test fee,the last time I looked it was £600.
If they do introduce an SVA for e-bikes it won't happen until after type approval is introduced in 2018,the fee is likely to be very high to deter applicants.
In the auto world SVA on kit cars is almost dead,most customers have gone to body panel conversions on stock vehicles.....Ferrari lookalike on a Toyota MR2 per example. Or,companies like Westfield or Caterham who have type approval.
I see parallels here,I think the DVLA will look towards us importers to type approve,if there is a good take up, they will say that it is not cost effective to SVA e-bikes or make the test fee punitive.
Hopefully,we won't need to type approve,aside from the throttle issue,so the situation will be very similar to the current.
KudosDave

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
The DVLA wants to close more of the test centres and also says it wants to rid itself of SVA for autos,even though they keep raising the test fee,the last time I looked it was £600.
If they do introduce an SVA for e-bikes it won't happen until after type approval is introduced in 2018,the fee is likely to be very high to deter applicants.
In the auto world SVA on kit cars is almost dead,most customers have gone to body panel conversions on stock vehicles.....Ferrari lookalike on a Toyota MR2 per example. Or,companies like Westfield or Caterham who have type approval.
I see parallels here,I think the DVLA will look towards us importers to type approve,if there is a good take up, they will say that it is not cost effective to SVA e-bikes or make the test fee punitive.
Hopefully,we won't need to type approve,aside from the throttle issue,so the situation will be very similar to the current.
KudosDave
Do the DVLA just send someone to your house to look over the panel conversions.5 points for chassis etc.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You can self certify, you are the constructor, you assume full responsibility. They won't bug you. Especially if they know you have a very good lawyer who just happens to be your friend... It will cost them much more in legal fees and if you you also have a good friend who is a journalist (old style with correct spelling and grammar) Ho La La!

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Do the DVLA just send someone to your house to look over the panel conversions.5 points for chassis etc.
No you have to take your vehicle to the local test centre...Gillingham in my case...for a kit car the rules are very concise,involving minimum radius on all external radii for example.
Some kit cars have to return several times to get the vehicle through.
If SVA is offered to e-bikes I am sure the requirements will be very tight.
KudosDave

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
If SVA is offered to e-bikes I am sure the requirements will be very tight.
I don't think so. Assuming the test bike has already passed EN15194 without the throttle, they are not going to re-test the bike unless there is something that may cause concern.
They would just receive their fees, test the throttle for EMI and rubber stamp it.
They may require that the throttle has its CE certificate, they then don't even have to test for EMI because it has already been passed, only a rubber stamp is needed.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
As Dave said its all about sharp edges and position and size of lights mirrors etc.look at the rear number plate and mudgaurds on this L1e-a he has had to put rubber tube on the edges.All at the testers desecration.

Reactions: trex

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
beautiful job he's done there. Do you know the guy craiggor?