21 Million E Bikes

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not too good on accuracy though. In fact the Chinese domestic e-bike market has been in marked decline since before the recession, with e and ic mopeds and cars taking their place as the nation gets richer. That's why there has been such an intensive drive to sell their e-bikes elsewhere in the world, with all manner of cheap e-bikes appearing under different names, may never seen here before.

The recession may call a halt to the progress of mopeds and cars there, but it will be a temporary halt. As the economy recovers the Chinese will continue to want what they see as better transport, no different from most of the rest of the world in that respect.

E-bikes will continue to do well in cycling countries like Holland and will make some progress where cycling is positively encouraged by governments, but I'm not expecting any widespread transport revolutions for a very long time.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
I get the impression the article is actually lumping together up e-bikes (as we in Britain and other more regulated nations would define them) and e-mopeds, and that through sheer volume of traffic the cops in China are unable to stop people with more powerful machines which are basically e-mopeds, whether or not they have licenses etc... as was the case in this country until both laws and surveillance/enforcement were beefed up..

I think worldwide that regulation and cultural perception are a massive impact on whether e-bikes or e-mopeds become most popular, particular amongst younger people especially those who do not yet have vehicle licenses...

Many EU countries actually seem to be tightening up the legislation on mopeds (whatever fuel they use) - for instance in England its gone from being able to ride one straight out of the showroom on a provisional license to requiring CBT which runs out after two years (at which point, you might as well just get a big motorbike or car license!). I did skim a website in France about their low powered scooters which also hinted the rules there had been tightened up...

I've also noticed a cultural perception that many people in this country at least think bicycles are slightly safer than mopeds/scooters - perhaps because unlike other Euro nations bicycles can be ridden away from main traffic routes but mopeds/scooters are barred from them...

Last edited:

IOM

Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2008
I spend a great deal of time in China and from my experience the E Bike market shows no sign of decline. There are many shops brimming with E Bikes and turnover looks good. I personally have purchased two this year. The first bought in February was a 48v 12ah 250w model. I traded that one in a few weeks ago for a 68v 12ah 400w bike, complete with electric brakes, indicators, stop light, cruise control, LED light set, horn, suspension forks, digital security system, no key start and three speed settings. All for the princely sum of £175 new. It even alerts you when your mobile receives a call.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That last one sounds more like a moped than an e-bike and it must be very heavy with a 68 volts 12 Ah battery pack and all that kit. Maybe not something to pedal without power?

I was quoting trade sources for the decline on their home market sales and additional effort on export sales. Whether that's more accurate than a personal observation I don't know.

IOM

Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2008
More like a bike than a moped. It has throttle only or pedal assist. Surprisingly easy to pedal, considering the weight.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
More like a bike than a moped. It has throttle only or pedal assist. Surprisingly easy to pedal, considering the weight.

Sounds interesting, I'm surprised it doesn't seem to appear on the US market. Are you using it on the IoM or just at the other end?

IOM

Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2008
Hi Flecc,

I use it in China. Similar style to a Powabyke shopper. Rear hub brushless motor, bike manufactured by Kaiqi. Will try and post a picture tonight, if I can work out how to do it.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks IOM. This may help you when posting a picture:

Two ways to post photos:

First way: Click the paper clip button above the reply box and have a look at the photo size rules there for different file types. Then make sure the picture conforms to those rules, and preferably is sized to 800 x 600 pixels or less to avoid the huge oversize things that some post.

If all's well, browse to your image from that paperclip button box, then upload it and close that box. Then click the paperclip button again and you'll see the image name, click on that and it will be attached at the point of your cursor in the text box, shown as "Attach etc Attach". Then complete your reply.

Second way: If you have somewhere to post pictures online like flickr.com or similar, you can display those here in this way. Just go to your web image, right click it and select Copy Image Location from the context menu, or if that doesn't show, click Properties on the context menu that appears and highlight and copy the URL there on the Properties page. Then return to the Reply box here, position the cursor below the text where you want the photo to appear and click the yellow mountain scene icon above. You'll get a box to paste in the link and ok it.

Then submit the reply and your photo will appear.

IOM

Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2008
Hi Flecc,

Hope I followed your instructions correctly. If so here is a picture of my China E Bike.

China E Bike.jpg

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks IOM, that really is like the Powabyke shopper. Unusual to have that much power in this type of bike, but useful on hills.

I can see why it's easy to pedal, very low geared with not much difference between the chainwheel and rear sprocket. Thompsons bring in lower powered bikes like this, but the pedalling limit is usually under 10 mph with legs spinning fast.

Last edited:

IOM

Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2008
At the rear of the light cluster there is a small display, including a battery gauge, ABS indicator, LR indicators, freewheel light (not sure of the relevance), lights on indicator (very useful, I often leave the lights on) and a phone image which lights up when you receive a call. No need to pair your phone, so no idea how it works.

The braking system (ABS) is very good. The 48 volt bike had a servo assisted rear brake, which would stop you dead, but lock the wheel. On my new 68 volt bike you squeeze front or rear lever and you can feel and hear the motor rapidly slow you to 3 or 4 mph, continue squeezing to stop. Quite innovative, perhaps we will have this on export bikes soon.