22 miles commute... which setup is best?

Best way for 22 miles commute in london?

• Public transport, even though it may take 1h10mn to get there

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Get a new DH bicycle

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Recumbent

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • scooter/moped/motorcycle

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I thought very seriously about buying this one (I may still do so), I have had a ride on one and it felt great. Add a Magura hydraulic brake on the front, marathon plus tyres and a sprung seat post you are still under 400€. The triangle is big enough for a bottle battery or a triangular bag. I wouldn't leave it outside though, the one I rode was stolen from just across the street despite being chained to scaffolding...

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Guys, i've been checking on some motorbike forum what they think about my need and it seems that leaving a scooter outside at night is a no go.... and it will either be stolen, damaged or used as spare part. Insurance would also be a killer in my area..

I've purchased this axiom flip flop:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Axiom-Flipflop-Deluxe-Post-Rack/dp/B007SWP93Q
I tried it last weekend and it seems quite strong even with 10kg on it. i hope it will last and it's rated 15kg.

The only issue was the little balancing issue as it's quite high but nothing too bad.

I'll try this config for now I think.

For the recumbent I'm not sure I want to endure 4 months of training before I can ride... and I'd like to be able to carry passenger (i do it on a bicycle now)
You can ride straight away but it takes a while to develop the full power you had on a DF. And the electric assist should ease the transfer.
Your cardio should remain the same just reduced peak power.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Yeah, a 50c would have similar performance to a bpm.

And if I'm thinking to use a DD rather than the bpm for silence and reliability.

i'm having all the equipement for electric bike, so I'd prefer going by ebike. Electric moped could have been an option if I had more space (let say a garage), but it's not an option where I live.

A 50c or 125c noise may drive me crazy, as well as parking space, and yearly cost.. still pondering..
I built a BPM with 50amp controller and two hobbyking 16ah 6s recently - it was easyiesh and from your previous posts I'd say you're more experienced than me. Total cost was around 400 pounds. I've restricted top speed to 17.8 mph and it goes a bit like a pedelec version of a muscle car - one can just use it as a very torquey slow moped. It also looks utterly crap so not worth stealing or vandalising. For London I'd use something like this

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
to me I would have thought a 50cc scooter for about £500 modest road tax £16 2 people I spoke 2 re insurance about £12 per month.
ou have got lights/mirrors/indicators a bit of wind protection box for helmet locks, underseat storage.
no faffing about with charging batteries 30 mile max with no peddeling.

my neighbour has one to commute to local station, very pleased with it.

would have no idea on parking/security/ issues re London though

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Apparently for the type of distance I'm planning to do I have to count for at least £500 in petrol alone.

I'm going to ask for precision but it seems that bicycle is was cheaper. I'd have loved to have an electric moped but I just can't have that... yet. maybe someday.

So maybe best for now is to have a great DH bike?

For recumbent I really need something simple, I don't want added stress to learn how to ride on top of my journey as work is really exhausting

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I'm currently using this bike:

Since I upgraded my battery from 500wh (48V10ah dolphin battery) to this 2000WH battery, I should have less stress in my journey as I won't have to worry about completely discharging the pack and I can go full throttle without fear.

I have my Kona stinky in france, and I'm considering going back there to see how my journey would look like with this bigger bike:

I hope the kona isn't going to be a thief magnet in my area...