3-D Printer

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
It's amazing what you can do with a 3-D printer. You can make things exactly like you want them. Here's my latest. Don't take any notice of the battery wiring. It's old cells used to train my student in how to weld, wire up and solder a battery. We're only using it to get the size and shape of the pod right. The actual batteries will have new Samsung 30Q cells. All you DIY guys should get a 3-D printer. They don't cost much. The designs were done on Tinkercad, which is for kids - very simple to use. Just design and press the print button.

The small piece is a splinded insert for a tap to replace one that broke.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Brilliant stuff - I keep flirting with the idea of a 3d printer - hmmm? Which model did the case in your pic?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Brilliant stuff - I keep flirting with the idea of a 3d printer - hmmm? Which model did the case in your pic?
I have a Bambulab X1 Carbon, which is very expensive, but the cheap ones work just as well. the only difference is that mine is self-calibrating, self-testing and self-feeding. It also has vibration compensation for when you put it on a wobly table and some other advanced features. You don't need any of that stuff.

Reactions: Bikes4two

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Very neat.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I have a Bambulab X1 Carbon, which is very expensive, but the cheap ones work just as well. the only difference is that mine is self-calibrating, self-testing and self-feeding. It also has vibration compensation for when you put it on a wobly table and some other advanced features. You don't need any of that stuff.
Did you print that case with your 3D Bambulab X1 in post #1? The round hole and the insert are both very difficult to print.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Did you print that case with your 3D Bambulab X1 in post #1? The round hole and the insert are both very difficult to print.
Yes, it can do anything. Any printer should be able to do it. The slicer software tells it how to print support for any overhang. The support is like honeycome barely attached, just enough to hold up any overhang, then you break it off after the print.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I suppose it's time for me to buy a new 3D printer. Mine is a twin head Replicator4. I bought it when it first came out around 2009. I run a quite old version of thing-o-matic. You can specify fill %, support, raft etc but I suspect the head vibrates a bit, the print tends to detach from the bed when it reaches about 3cm in height, ruining it completely.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I suppose it's time for me to buy a new 3D printer. Mine is a twin head Replicator4. I bought it when it first came out around 2009. I run a quite old version of thing-o-matic. You can specify fill %, support, raft etc but I suspect the head vibrates a bit, the print tends to detach from the bed when it reaches about 3cm in height, ruining it completely.
They've all improved a lot since then. I might think about getting a bigger one because I want to start printing some wind generator stuff. I've got my eye on this one:

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I will probably buy the elegoo Neptune 4 too, not the max size though. Any advice on filament?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I will probably buy the elegoo Neptune 4 too, not the max size though. Any advice on filament?
I've only ever used PLA that I got from Bambulabs and Amazon. I've got all sorts, but haven't used the others yet.

daniel84uk

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 28, 2023
Birmingham
The problem with PLA is its very low glass transition temperature. lf you ever leave it in a warm car etc it will deform the part massively.
I find printing ABS to be the most versatile. It has a high glass transition temperature. Superglue welds parts together seamlessly so its easy to join repair and modify parts after the fact (which is important when prototyping) Its easy to sand and machine, and and it can be smoothed with acetone!

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
has anyone tried a desktop ABS injection molding kit? I am wondering about their cost effectiveness.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
The way I struggle with computers these days, I think I'll give 3D printing a miss. Shame, sounds brilliant.

Reactions: sjpt

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The way I struggle with computers these days, I think I'll give 3D printing a miss. Shame, sounds brilliant.
Mine is more or less plug and play. Just press the print button. Installation is the same as any printer: Download and install the software, then follow any instructions regarding updates.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You still have to learn to design 3D and a lot of us (like me) are not naturally talented. I can't do something like the insert in your post #1. Is your padawan good at it?

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
You still have to learn to design 3D and a lot of us (like me) are not naturally talented. I can't do something like the insert in your post #1. Is your padawan good at it?
That was done with Tinkercad, which is a free online tool for kids. It's extremely simple to use. That design was done with nothing more than cylinders and cuboid added together and stretched one way or another. It's simple in the way it works, but you need a logical brain to figure how to get the shape and size you want by combining and stretching the basic shapes.

• Agree
Reactions: guerney and Woosh