3 SPEED ADJUSTMENTS any knowledge?

donnoirf

Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2010
KINGS NORTON BIRMINGHAM
After a bit of a muddy ride on sunday morning my pedal sensor on my sunlova kit seem to pack up, I took it off & cleaned & reconnected it this morning but still no joy

the throttle on the bike seems to work just fine,

Im reluctant to fit another pedal sensor if they are that sensitive to a bit of water etc

However I like to use the pedal assist more so that I use the throttle because I feel that i have more controll

I spotted this item on the web & wondered about the possiblity to using it to replace the the sensor?

Crystalyte Europe :: Parts :: 3 speed adjustment

any ideas or advice anyone?

Donna

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Thats just a switch...what controller do you have?

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
OK but is it a Crystalyte, E-Crazyman, or.....?

Edit: Reason for asking is that the 3 way switch doesn't plug into the pedelec sensor lead on the controller. The controllers mentioned have a dedicated input for the switch and it may be necessary to add that input, also, if the input needs to be added then the controller will need programming to set the speeds for each setting, the default for each may be full speed (100%), where 50 / 75 / 100% would be more normal.

If its an E-Crazyman controller I can help you with that...it may also be possible to use a magnetic sensor as well as I think the Sunlova ones are now optical?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

It's an optical sensor and there is a small circuit board inside with some sort of chip. I would guess that it will give out a non-pulsed voltage between 0 and 5v, which depends on the speed. I havn't measured it, so I'm not sure.

If you can, lever it apart with a screwdriver, then undo the two little screws that hold the circuit board. Lever out the board carefully and then you might see water behind it, or one of the three wires might be broken off the circuit board because it's easy to over-stress them. If it's the wire, resolder it. If it's water, dry it off. Finally, put a big dob of silicon sealant all over the back of the circuit board and around where the wire comes through and re-assemble. Then it should give no further trouble. If you can, orient the sensor so that the wire comes out the top - this will give even more protection against the water that can get in between the two halves.

For anybody else reading that has a Sunlova bike or kit, or any other bike that uses this pedal sensor, the least you should do is re-orient the sensor so that the wire exits at the top because it isn't waterproof. This way up will make sure that any water that comes in will drain out without affecting the electronics.

Trevor Holloway

Pedelecer
May 4, 2010
Looks like a good modification when I get a few spare minutes. I had not considered it as the possible water ingress paths are pretty tight on my sensor - which I guess would prevent draining too.

donnoirf

Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2010
KINGS NORTON BIRMINGHAM
Thanks for the tips all!

all taken apart and dried out. Took it apart and dried it out. Went for a ride and it seems to be working again. Although not as responsive as it was before.

Once again not good enough on the part of sunlova, they really need to supply a more effective and less problematic part!

For now I will just have to add another thing to the list of thing that I have to dodge whilst out riding.

Any one know of a suitable alternative sensor that is compatible with the sunlova kit??