3 Speed Shifters

robwalley

Pedelecer
Apr 17, 2012
Gloucester
Having purchased a brand new wheelset with a SRAM dualdrive 3 cheap for a Bafang BBS02, I was aware it came with no small parts, shifters, cassettes etc.

I have got most of what I need, but was considering a standard 3 sprocket front derailleur trigger as a pose to the dualdrive 3 speed shifter as they can be purchased easier and cheaper as a matching set (SRAM X5 3x9).

While I suspect the movement and direction to change an SRAM front derailleur and a DualDrive is the same I can't guarantee this.

Anyone have any tech knowledge of this.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Isn't the rear derailleur different for the dualdrive? I had a quick look at this kit when I got my GSM but decided for a spider and twin chainwheel instead.

"According to Sheldon Brown, "The Dual Drive internal hub is not compatible with any other shifter."

Reactions: robwalley

robwalley

Pedelecer
Apr 17, 2012
Gloucester
Isn't the rear derailleur different for the dualdrive? I had a quick look at this kit when I got my GSM but decided for a spider and twin chainwheel instead.

"According to Sheldon Brown, "The Dual Drive internal hub is not compatible with any other shifter."
Sheldon Brown - "The DualDrive hubs and Spectro T3 are supposed to be used only with their proprietary shifters, but they have a pullrod, not a pushrod, suggesting that a conversion to use a pullchain might be possible."

However this is the dualdrive not the newer dualdrive3 (which I have) and the supposed unique shifter with it's own terrain symbols is a dead match for the X5 3 speed shifter with 1,2 & 3 displayed. Anyhoo I picked up a X5 set 3x9 shifters for £35, so worth a go I reckon, there's always ebay afterwards if it doesn't work.

robwalley

Pedelecer
Apr 17, 2012
Gloucester

It should have been obvious to me that although these look the same, the cams inside have different pull ratios. The X5's are 11 and 8mm respectively as this is how far apart the front rings are (odd I thought they were the same). The DD3's are <5mm on both pulls (IGH). Anyway lucky the set was wrong and the 9 speed shifter was duff, so returned and refunded.