375 miles need new brake pads!

crE

Pedelecer
Aug 29, 2014
Hi all. Sirocco CDL user here. My back pads are worn. Virtually useless now. Normal for the amount of miles?

Any hoo. Does anyone have any recommendations on the best pads? Or the best bargain pads?

crE

Pedelecer
Aug 29, 2014
Ordered some. Thanks Trex. I did spot them but I didn't know if the low price was an indication of poor quality.

Is 375 miles normal for an ebike? Looks like I'll be changing them once a month!

Although I am going to get some hydraulic brakes fitted to the front. Going to take them to a bike shop and get a price.

crE

Pedelecer
Aug 29, 2014
Not brilliant to be honest. I'm not sure whether they're just misaligned again or if the pads are wearing.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
If the blocks are mis-alingned, the wear won't be even. Blocks wear more quickly if you ride fast or agressively. A few sharp brakes also wear less than continuous braking.
Post a picture of the worn pads, we'll see better why.

Reactions: crE

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Maybe try some better pads, my Tonaro would have a couple of thousand k's on it now and pads have more life left than used, I only have V's on the front and a low powered roller on the rear so the front does most of the braking.
All dry usage but in steep terrain alot of it dusty.
Also alignment should not need constant adjustment, I tweaked mine once in that time due to a barely audible squeak.
But I did spend a bit of time setting them up spot on when I got the bike.

crE

Pedelecer
Aug 29, 2014
Got the new pads through. I'll fit them the weekend. I'm taking the bike into a shop to get some hydraulics fitted on the front. I just cant seem to properly align them. One day theyre fine and the next i have to adjust. Rather than faffing I'm just gonna get some better brakes fitted. I was virtually brake less on the way home yesterday and I didn't feel safe at all.

crE

Pedelecer
Aug 29, 2014
Well. After taking it in to a bike shop just now they said it is not possible to fit hydraulic brakes to this bike. He said because it has a motor cutoff on the brakes they wouldn't be able to do it. As they wouldn't be able to reconnect it.

I mentioned that a couple of people on this forum said it was perfectly possible on this specific bike. And in fact recommended upgrading to hydraulics.

Is the guy right or perhaps misinformed??

Really put a downer on my day. Can't ride this bike until the brakes are sorted :(

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
You only need one brake cutoff so, if there's one on the back brake & you're not intending to upgrade that to hydraulic, you'll be fine.
The shop is covering itself in case of trouble.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Only one cut off req,d usually on rear as front is easiest to convert.

crE

Pedelecer
Aug 29, 2014
So they can put front hydraulic on and still have the front brake lever cutting out the motor? I'm getting confused!

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

crE

Pedelecer
Aug 29, 2014
Thanks guys.

If it is the case that I can't use both levers as motor cut offs... Perhaps I should invest in some good quality V brakes? As I really am not getting on with the front discs.

There seems to be a "wobble" in the wheel. Which is evident when inspecting the rotation of the disc and upon hearing the "rub" when the caliper is too close - which happens once per rotation

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the rotor disc is made out of soft steel and will flex easily by pushing gently with your thumb. You can correct any small mis-alignment with thumb pressure. The Avid BB7's pads are much more substantial and much longer lasting, will pay for itself in a few months. The rear Tektro V-brakes are good, you only need to put new blocks on them. Post some pictures so we can see.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Firstly crE make sure the front wheel is sitting in the drops outs correctly and is secured tightly. If there is still a wobble in the wheel it may need trueing up or is the disc damaged ?
Break sets below should also be good simple to fit bolt on /bolt off (5 mins as Trek sya's), they come already to use primed and no bleeding needed.
To set up bolt on leaving caliper a little loose,apply break lever to allow pads to grip disc tighten caliper then release lever,spin wheel to check for any rubbing and repeat above if needed.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/clarks-exo-skeletal-hydraulic-disc-brake/rp-prod80605
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-altus-m355-disc-brake/rp-prod119956

crE

Pedelecer
Aug 29, 2014
Right. I've got a nice grip now. No rubbing. Took for a quick spin. And the brakes lock as soon as they get a tight squeeze