45 Mile Commute, possible on a eBike?

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
Hi All

Just found out about eBikes by chance. Its got me thinking would it get me to work and back without pedaling, which is about 45 miles? Might sound like a stupid question I know but there's so much out there its hard to digest what's what.

I currently like the look of this one but its purely looks than anything else: http://www.rutlandcycling.com/359523/products/2016-specialized-turbo-electric-hybrid-bike.aspx
it's doable - or it would be if you take "without pedalling" out. back in the UK I had an 11 mile commute (each way) I did in a regular 37 minutes on a derestricted bafang rear hub motor bike. so it will take you about an hour and a quarter each way. if it's a congested area this may well be faster or nearly as fast as a car. I had a pretty standard battery, cant remember exact capacity, but it was usual bottle battery, I'd have to charge it approximately every 25 miles (so you'd charge twice a day).
it's not hard work, pretty easy cadence in fact. with hub motors one can let it do most of the work. I think your main problem if your in the UK would be the atrocious state of the roads (potholes, deep ruts), weather (covered in sludge rain and oil) lack of cycle paths and mentality of some drivers. if it was me I'd convert a bike with the fattest marathon plus' I could find (probably 2.0) and semi decent suspension for those dark winter nights when one has to plough through wet potholes at 24mph.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My home built up mtb with kit gets me 20 miles in 1 hr 20 mins using a 36v 250w crank drive and at 48v probably would be 10 mins faster.

row

Pedelecer
Nov 12, 2015
Any suggestions to what bike? Its going to be all road so a guess a hybrid bike would be best as opposed to mountain bikes which i'm used to. Something no more than £2000 which can have the speed limit removed easily. What sort of speeds can you get with the limiter removed?
With 2k and that ride I would buy
Bike http://www.freeborn.co.uk/cube-reaction-hybrid-hpa-race-400-19821 or a Haibike
suspension https://www.amazon.co.uk/Suntour-SP12-NCX-Mountain-Suspension-Seatpost/dp/B01BIQN97U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1475774262&sr=8-3&keywords=suspension+post
dongle https://www.badassebikes.com/en/badass/typ3-3-bosch/a-106/

p.s. I would want to double check that the above bike is 500 as listed not a 400 - You need 500W

Last edited:

btcc2000

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 6, 2016
Birmingham
I'm liking the idea of this. My MTB is a cube gtc. So with the dongle I'll get a good speed and the battery will last well?

This is all very confusing

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
My home built up mtb with kit gets me 20 miles in 1 hr 20 mins using a 36v 250w crank drive and at 48v probably would be 10 mins faster.
As we ride similar terrain, that makes quite an interesting comparison. Four miles more for the same time. This would have used approx 55%-60% of my battery capacity, and would have been ridden using tour.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
speed will depend on what size front sprocket you want to run but with 18t on mine can hit over 30mph on the flat.

range will also depend on what mode you use but in turbo you wont get much more than 25 miles so just enough.

• Informative

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
I have a Haibike Trekking with a 400wh system (no dongle). I routinely get 45 plus miles traveling back and forth to work. 45 miles of steady riding would take me about 4 hours and 30 minutes.

Hope this helps, cheers :)

Edit: It is a Yamaha system.

• Informative

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Max speed is interesting but it's average speed you need. And energy efficiency. Road bikes are better than mountain, recumbents better still. 120 miles in 8.5 hours, but that was without electric motor.
If the motor hauls you up hills at 15, you can go down them at 30 and cruse at 20 on the flat. A velomobile is the ultimate in efficiency but you are pushing the price again for that, but down hill at 50 mph. Is tempting.

• Agree
Reactions: anotherkiwi

v8DaveP

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 31, 2016
hertfordshire
I have recently bought a Cube Stereo hybrid 140 HPA race mtb, i has the offroad tyres fitted and on the road i get about 42- 45 miles to a charge although i have never acually run out of power or had the last battery bar flashing.
It's mainly set in the tour assistance setting which i find makes me work a bit but not too much, i am 58 and weight about 105kg and not very fit to give you some idea.

I think its a great bike to ride even on road and well built with good quality suspension/ gears/brakes etc.

• Informative

row

Pedelecer
Nov 12, 2015
I'm liking the idea of this. My MTB is a cube gtc. So with the dongle I'll get a good speed and the battery will last well?

This is all very confusing
Yes good speed, with dongle you will likely average 18/19/ mph, (importantly though, and has been mentioned, there are legal and safety issues which obviously increase, risk wise, if you are using 5 days a week and covering long distances. If you can calculate to do the commute at about 16mph you are legal and it shouldn't be strenuous.

If you look at Cubes they all have Bosch motors, look for Bosch CX type motors with a 500 battery (you cant really buy a higher range battery), so this is the best combo you can get in terms of power and range, all the plus 2.5k cube bikes will likely have this, but if you search carefully you can get this on some - 2k bikes. (most people agree that cube offers value for money) The Yamaha motors often found on Haibikes are great too but with a 500 watt battery you are in 3k territory. A 500w battery will most likely allow you to ride in 'turbo' mode all the way i.e max assistance - it should be enough to not worry about being 'economical' with selecting levels of assistance. Then recharge at work.

• Informative

row

Pedelecer
Nov 12, 2015
I have recently bought a Cube Stereo hybrid 140 HPA race mtb, i has the offroad tyres fitted and on the road i get about 42- 45 miles to a charge although i have never acually run out of power or had the last battery bar flashing.
It's mainly set in the tour assistance setting which i find makes me work a bit but not too much, i am 58 and weight about 105kg and not very fit to give you some idea.

I think its a great bike to ride even on road and well built with good quality suspension/ gears/brakes etc.
Tis a sexy bike indeed
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cube-stereo-hybrid-120-hpa-race-500-e-bike-2016/rp-prod153256?gs=1&gclid=Cj0KEQjw7Ne_BRDRmP2ojKfzv98BEiQAPuqPyaDWsGdfLNnyLS6Ecs2Ycnxawcie9jJRKkLwHjbGfLsaAjZO8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Those bikes are ok but remember they don't have mudguards so you'll get spray all over you on wet roads. Also no lights. Do you need to carry anything? If so you may want a rack and panniers. So perhaps a touring bike may be a better call.

• Agree
Reactions: RobF and LeighPing

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Row,
My 36volt 16ah battery cost under £150 with charger. The two 3 ah batteries cost £50 so total battery power of around 600 watts for less than £200 you can get a lot more for less. Combined with a high efficiency road bike and good motor the total system price can be a lot lower. A BBS 01 kit at £350 leaves around £1400 for a very good road bike.
The cube is nice but not nessisarlily the best value, he needs speed and efficiency to get the most miles for least effort.
I would get a recumbent myself for £1200, £550 battery + motor and cruse in comfort.

Oh I did get one for £700 bike+ £500 bbs01 and battery +£300 for new wheel and bits. So £1500 did it for me. Now done over 3,000 mile. So replacing my controller it's still well within budget.
And an easy 100 mile range too

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • :D
Reactions: LeighPing and IR772

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
400w

• Informative

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
"15 Miles on Standard including a 300 foot climb, then
6 miles on High.
Total 21miles
Time 55 minutes
Arrived at work with 30% of the battery remaining (brought the charger with me to recharge it in the office)"

Don't think it matters

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i have got 28 miles from a 400wbosch when it was newer but soon as you go over 25 it nukes it.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i was not in turbo all the time when i did that mind but most off it. all depends how fit you are and what mode you are happy using for a avg speed.

last 10 mile ride with the 500w batt done 10 miles in 28 mins but it was using 1 bar every 5 miles.