46yr old tubby guy trying to get back to the great outdoors

quandoe

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 1, 2016
walsall
The basics, been reading alot about ebikes and how they've moved forward and its an ideal step for me, i used to ride a little years ago and i still have a older hardtail and a full bobby than i should get round to putting back together, being a 46 yr old divorcee im looking to do a bit of exploring at the weekends, ebikes are probably the best option for me as whilst im a fairly active bulky fellow but im sadly very unfit on the inside mainly through the dreaded smoking so a little help with the old battery power would be a massive help..... so i'm set my sights on prob a trekking type of bike for the new year as i can go off the beaten path now and again,
.... this is where i could do with a bit of help.... been looking at the Haibike xduro trekking as a possibility but ive come across the conway emc427... uk reviews are a little scarce, apart from the mad 'e-rider', but the spec seems better for the price albeit without the shapely hydroforming...... any ideas folks on the conways or even some alternatives as i was really hoping to keep the spend around the 2g mark... cheers folks

Reactions: LeighPing

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
You'll get plenty of choice, and plenty of good advice here with that budget. Stand by for more input from those that know better than I on that.

It's a friendly enough place. Don't be frightened to ask questions. The only daft question, is the one you didn't ask.

Welcome aboard. :)

Reactions: quandoe and flecc

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Welcome, if you have good bikes already then a kit will give you performance without the price. £600 should get you a crank drive setup even less for a hub drive.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Oxygen's MTB offerings are very good value. I have one of their eMate MTBs and it is an excellent bike at a very good price.

Reactions: quandoe

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The OP wants to spend about £2K on a trekking bike, so I'm not sure he will be very interested in kits or Oxygen MTBs.

Having said that, the Oxygen trekking bike is worth a look as a cheaper alternative.

Haibikes are expensive for what they are.

My suggestion would be something from Cube, their bikes tend to be better value.

Lots of eMTBs on the site, but there are some trekking/city ebikes.

I'm not a fan of rack batteries, so a Cross Hybrid would be my choice.

Pretty much fully equipped apart from a rack - easy enough to slap on one of those.

https://www.cube.eu/uk/products/e-bike-trekking/cross-hybrid/cube-cross-hybrid-race-allroad-500-blackngreen-2016/

• Agree
Reactions: Artstu and quandoe

quandoe

Dec 1, 2016
walsall
The OP wants to spend about £2K on a trekking bike, so I'm not sure he will be very interested in kits or Oxygen MTBs.

Having said that, the Oxygen trekking bike is worth a look as a cheaper alternative.

Haibikes are expensive for what they are.

My suggestion would be something from Cube, their bikes tend to be better value.

Lots of eMTBs on the site, but there are some trekking/city ebikes.

I'm not a fan of rack batteries, so a Cross Hybrid would be my choice.

Pretty much fully equipped apart from a rack - easy enough to slap on one of those.

https://www.cube.eu/uk/products/e-bike-trekking/cross-hybrid/cube-cross-hybrid-race-allroad-500-blackngreen-2016/

quandoe

Dec 1, 2016
walsall
indeed i am thinking a mid drive without the battery being rack mounted to keep the center of gravity lower... i have thought about adding a mid mount to one of the older bikes but i'm just concerned about torque/ridability of a 250watt and indeed reliability.... i am after all nearly 15 stone..... i need to do a bit more digging.... i'll take a look at cube..... thanks for that keep um coming

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
The 250 watt thing is a legal technicality, most bikes are much higher peak power. including the bbs 01 which can do over 750 watts through your gears so can climb any mountain.
Test ride a few bikes first.
I'm 100 kg ish and rode up the hills around Bristol and bath on a so called lowpower Panasonic crank drive with no issues.

quandoe

Dec 1, 2016
walsall
hiya Andy.... that cube reaction is probably the type of bike i'm looking for and what a fantastic deal.... sadly its just too big for me as i'm 5-8 on a good day..... i think the idea of a trekking bike is limiting my options as most have skinny tyres built mainly for road, i think a hard tail mtb is a better option as i can always fit a rack to it adjust suspension ect

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing