48V TSDZ2 (250W) are now in stock

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I just saw this now, It looks really well and thought I would ask which Giant bike is that. It is the kind of setup that I was hoping for my Cube.
it's just a cheap sub 10kg road bike, Giant Defy 3 2015, I think Tredz sold them for £299 a couple of years ago.
If you start afresh, I would recommend the Marin Fairfax SC2. It has 8-speed hub gear. Cycle Republic sell them for £399.

https://www.cyclerepublic.com/marin-fairfax-sc2-ig-men-s-hybrid-bike-2018.html

Reactions: Minatauro

Minatauro

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 7, 2018
it's just a cheap sub 10kg road bike, Giant Defy 3 2015, I think Tredz sold them for £299 a couple of years ago.
If you start afresh, I would recommend the Marin Fairfax SC2. It has 8-speed hub gear. Cycle Republic sell them for £399.

Unfortunately, that size is too small for me I think I would need the 20", secondly I am in Ireland and there are none of those here.
Do you think it would fit on this Giant Escape 2 Disc City Bike 2019

bike https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=125375

thanks again for your help

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Do you think it would fit on this Giant Escape 2 Disc City Bike 2019
yes, it will fit, except that you will have to make a small modification to the cable guide under the bottom bracket.

As it is, the cable guide is too thick to fit into the 8-10mm gap between the motor and the bottom bracket and which narrows down to about 5mm around the two M5 bolts. You can't just fit the TSDZ2 like the BBS01/BBS02 when you have gear cables running under the bottom bracket.

I filed down my cable guide to make it fit in the gap around the bottom bracket then feed the cable guide in (with its cables in place) from the rear of the bike. It's not properly secured because I can't bolt the cableguide back to the bottom bracket shell, but it works OK.

I am looking for a more suitable cableguide but if I can't find one, I will make a 3D print.

The cable guide on my test bike:

TJS109

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2017
Glos
Hi,

I fitted the 36V version to my bike and am very pleased with it.
I had to replace the gear cable and route it directly which has not been a problem.
The other problem I found is that I could not fit the bolt through the anti-rotation bracket due to the lack of space in the bottom bracket area. I found that without the bracket I could not stop the motor slackening off.
In the end I managed to fit the bracket to the motor - not quite in the place intended and secure it to the bike frame with a jubilee clip. A bit crude but it is effective and out of sight.

Tim

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I had to replace the gear cable and route it directly which has not been a problem.
I agree, sometimes the long route is the quickest route.

The other problem I found is that I could not fit the bolt through the anti-rotation bracket due to the lack of space in the bottom bracket area.
There isn't much space on our Giant test bike between the chainstays, behind the bottom bracket. I had to remove the rear wheel and undo the horizontal bolt holding the anti torque bracket. I fit the oval clamp piece with the vertical bolt (just finger tight) first then the horizontal bolt. When it all looks good, tighten the bolts.

Minatauro

Nov 7, 2018

Hi I think I will be selling my cube and if I manage to replace it with a Fairfax sc2 ig , I assume because there is no derailleurs and it would have the recommended BB width that the TSDZ2 should slide in without too much fuss?

Would you recommend the 48v 500w or 52v 750w as I would like to be able to go faster than 15 mph?

This will be my daily commuter in all weather so I just want to make sure I have the ideal setup.

Thanks again for your help

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Would you recommend the 48v 500w or 52v 750w as I would like to be able to go faster than 15 mph?
No. IMHO the design is not mechanically as strong as a Bosch CX or Bafang BBSes. The controller is small, space for heat dissipation is limited, the size of the blue transmission gear and motor axle is smaller than Bafang BBSes. If you want more power, you should get a BBSHD.

Minatauro

Nov 7, 2018
No. IMHO the design is not mechanically as strong as a Bosch CX or Bafang BBSes. The controller is small, space for heat dissipation is limited, the size of the blue transmission gear and motor axle is smaller than Bafang BBSes. If you want more power, you should get a BBSHD.
I've secured the Marin but now my budget won't make the bbshd so I will have to stick with the cheaper alternative.
I want to continue to pedal for exercise but with pedal assistance when needed that's why I am drawn more towards the Tsdz2 with torque sensor and seeing the ability to customise it is a bonus.

I'm torn about what to put on it for the best setup. It would be either the Tsdz2 48v 750w and customise it or the bbs02 48v 750w? It's s tough choice.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I'm torn about what to put on it for the best setup. It would be either the Tsdz2 48v 750w and customise it or the bbs02 48v 750w? It's s tough choice.
The TSDZ2 motor is optimized for road legal use. Tongsheng do not make 750W TSDZ2, I suspect some dealers reprogram the 48V motor and sell it as whatever.
This section of the forum is reserved for EAPC. We should discuss the ability of a derestricted TSDZ2 in this sub-forum:
http://pedelecs.co.uk/forum/forums/speed-pedelecs-s-pedelecs-non-eapcs-overseas.43/
The basic specs is 48V 16A (max current at the controller =768W maximum input), 4000 RPM before reduction, 95 RPM at the 42T chain ring. If you are on 11T at the rear cog, it can assist you up to 30mph on 700C tyres when derestricted.

Reactions: Minatauro

Minatauro

Nov 7, 2018
The TSDZ2 motor is optimized for road legal use. Tongsheng do not make 750W TSDZ2, I suspect some dealers reprogram the 48V motor and sell it as whatever.
This section of the forum is reserved for EAPC. We should discuss the ability of a derestricted TSDZ2 in this sub-forum:
http://pedelecs.co.uk/forum/forums/speed-pedelecs-s-pedelecs-non-eapcs-overseas.43/
The basic specs is 48V 16A (max current at the controller =768W maximum input), 4000 RPM before reduction, 95 RPM at the 42T chain ring. If you are on 11T at the rear cog, it can assist you up to 30mph on 700C tyres when derestricted.
What is wrong with the 48v 250 watt TSDZ2? It will give you over 700w of power at 16 amps.
Apologies, I will just put this last post here and everything else I'll put together the proper one. It's mainly with the sales I'm trying to get the best bang for my buck so to speak. If I could get a more powerful motor like a 500w in sale for the same price as a 250w then that would be better long term. I'm not as knowledgeable as you guys that's why I'm going by your advice on what's best. Thanks again for your help.

• Dislike
Reactions: Zac

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
there is no need to apologize. One thing you should keep in mind, there is no free lunch. Speed comes with a cost, battery consumption is one. At 15mph on flat road, the power consumption is around 10WH per mile. At 20mph, 16WH per mile, at 25mph, 24WH per mile, at 30mph 30WH per mile.
If you pull continuously high current from your battery, it has no time to recover and will lose its capacity and age a lot faster.

Source:
https://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html?bopen=false&axis=mph&batt=B4814_EZ

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
My favourite "what if" motor for the trike at the moment is this one - https://www.gngebike.com/ultralight-300w-kit

1.5 kg
Wireless PAS level control
I get to keep my 3 chainwheels
24 v so a smaller, cheaper, lighter battery if you wish (I'm thinking 7P7S 20700 cells so 840Wh)

It is expensive at 550€ shipped
It only delivers 250W (300W peak)
They say it has been tested over 10,000 km but reliability is an unknown
Power is limited by PAS but not speed so it is not EN15194 legal

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
AKW, have you noticed the caveat in their advert?

https://www.gngebike.com/ultralight-300w-kit

we provide 1 YEAR WARRANTY to the motor gear box assembly, as long as you are running the kit <300W.
possibly due to poor heat dissipation because of the diminutive size of the motor.

300W is not sufficient for climbing your kind of hills.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
AKW, have you noticed the caveat in their advert?

https://www.gngebike.com/ultralight-300w-kit

possibly due to poor heat dissipation because of the diminutive size of the motor.

300W is not sufficient for climbing your kind of hills.
Depends what gear you are in and how fast you want to go...

In my new neighbourhood there are hills the GSM will climb at 14 km/h tops, that is in 32:18. If I change down to 32:32 I can climb them very slowly (9 km/h ish) and only drawing less than 250W according to the LCD

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
No, but the Tongsheng climbs like a goat.