500W Cyclotricity Revolver ordered!

bigbadal

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 16, 2014
Well, I had to decide between the FWD Stealth or RWD 500W Revolver and in the end just had to order the revolver......

Bike is due in a couple of days and I will post up my honest opinion when I have given the 8 mile commute a week or so. I am expecting a big improvement on my old Synergy Mistral and to be honest I love that bike.... The Revolver is lighter and having the flexibility to use more power off the public highways seems like a great option from Cyclotricity for anyone so inclined, especially buying it through the Cycle scheme.

bigbadal

Oct 16, 2014
Colban, I am on my 2nd commute today. My first attempt saw me get 2 miles down the road before the chain snapped! I got home on power alone and went to work that day on my motorbike. Cyclotricity sent a new chain out no problems with their customer service as you may have read from others posts. The broken chain was a KMC - a brand I use on other pedal bikes and on my motorbike so that was bad luck. So My first commute on friday was great. I am riding this bike as supplied - restricted. I won't be using it illegally on my commute as some of the cycle lane is "shared" and it is quite frightening for pedestrians to have bikes buzzing past at high speed, so my review to date will only be for the standard restricted power. So I am getting to ride along on assist level 5 and with some pushing maintain a good speed of about 17mph. This is allowing me to do my 8 mile commute in about 30 mins. At times it is easy to push up to 20mph and of course uphill im back to lower speeds. The bike is light and rides nicely without assist. Handling is good and the ride is comfortable, more so than my old Synergy mistral. The power delivery is slightly different to my mistral. I get a bit of lag when moving up through the gears - I haven't worked out why. I am getting a little chain jumping - I suspect I need to fine tune the shimano 6 speed gear set. The revoshift itself is fine to use. I prefer the set up on my mistral, but it is still fine on the revolver.
The thumb throttle is ok, but I don't really use it as the cycle assist does everything I want. I bought the 9ah bottle battery as my commute is only 8 miles each way (16 miles per day). So far on one charge I have done 16 miles and have 2 of the 4 LEDS on the battery still lit up. I am pleased with the ride so far and want to try it out de-restricted when I find an appropriate place to do so. Brakes seem adequate and the overall experience is enjoyable.
I bought this bike through the cycle scheme - list is £799.00. If I had to purchase outright, I would have looked at getting a better base bicycle and adding a kit, but being able to get the bike for almost half the list price, ready to go (almost) seems like a no-brainer.
Still love my mistral, but the revolver is lighter, quicker and handles better. If it is as reliable in the longer term, I will be very pleased - I intend riding this as my main commute. I will update with any significant info over the coming days / weeks months......

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Rated at 500w how can this be road legal in the UK, I thought max nominal power was 250w?
The reason I ask is I have a 500w motor in the corner of my garage which I bought by mistake not realising it would not be legal to use.
Does this suggest there is a way I can actually use it?

bigbadal

Oct 16, 2014
Well, out of the box, the revolver is set up to utilise 250w motor but can be un-restricted to utilise 500w motor (dual windings - I'm not sure...?).
So as sold and as used on the public highways in the UK it is legal. I wouldn't be able to advise on your 500W motor. There are some better informed people on this forum who may be able to advise.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
it's not dual winding, the controller just lets through more current.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
@trex so could I get a controller which would allow me to use the 500w motor legally? Would you know any?

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
@trex so could I get a controller which would allow me to use the 500w motor legally? Would you know any?
Basically, if the sticker on the motor says 500w, then it's not legal. If the sticker says 250w, it could be made legal.

It's all daft, because the motor is not the component that controls the power - that's the controllers job.

stevew

Pedelecer
Opps..........sorry :rolleyes:

But seriously, i do have a 250w motor in one of my bikes that has nothing on it to tell any law enforcement officer that it is in fact legal.
Where can i get said sticker please?

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
Could take one off a 250w motor.....There is a bloke on endless sphere prints them

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
PC plod hasn't got the technology to tell the difference beyond a sticker. Many legal manufacturers bikes use a lot more than 250w when going up a hill, as other forum members have measured and proven.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
From https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules ........

• the motor shouldn’t have a maximum power output of more than 200 watts if it’s a bicycle and 250 watts if it’s a tandem or tricycle
  • the bike must have a plate showing the manufacturer, the nominal voltage of the battery, and the motor’s power output
....but you can read 250w instead of 200w, as the DfT won't prosecute you for 250w.

An electric motors rating is really about the amount of power it can handle for a sustained period. This is largely about how much heat it can hold/dissipate. A sensible manufacturer would build in a bit of headroom, so that they don't have too many failures.

So, a 250w rated motor may well be capable of handling 1.5kw for a short period of time. It may also be able to handle 500w indefinitely. Its still rated at 250w.

That's how come some 250w (legal) bikes give more torque than others. Some manufacturers sell legal machines that will run at 22a @ 42 Volts - That's nearly 1kw. See if you can guess what the sticker says?

Reactions: oigoi

stevew

Pedelecer
I'm going to order a couple of the 250W plates from the guy on ES.
AWOL , do you want a couple too?
Anyone else?

stevew

Pedelecer

stevew

Pedelecer
Just got one from ebay.................check the ES thread.