61, Over weight and Unfit from South Wales :)

twinkle

E-Triker
May 14, 2013
Peacehaven nr Brighton
Hi

REMEMBER
Left hand pedal has a left hand thread .
if it had become loose then it may have damaged the thread try inserting from the back slowly to check it will go into the undamaged thread and if it does reform the thread from behind .
hope all goes well

regards emma

D

Deleted member 4366

If you screw it in from the opposite side a few times, it'll clean the thread and make it easier to install on the correct side; however, the thread might already be damaged beyond repair. Pedals have to be done up tight to avoid this problem.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
bikes sent by couriers usually do not have their pedals fitted.
If you fit pedals for the first time, put a little grease on the thread, screw it in by hand, most important, until the pedal is almost completely in. If you feel any resistance, unscrew and check the thread. Then you need a good long handle spanner, something of this size, and screw it in quite tight (about 40NM)

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Well, this morning was a more energetic ride to work, I pressed myself a little harder! I was making good progress until:

1. Hit a pothole and the chain came off, easily put back on.
2. The left hand pedal fell off. Couldn't fix it on the spot, so the last half mile was walking!

I'm pleased to say there was no damage to the wheel but the pedal might be a little more difficult to fix. It seems the last part of the thread in the crank and on the pedal have stripped a little and I can't engage the pedal into the crank. I'll try again in an hour or so with a garage and tools to hand.

Are these pedals simply tightened in or is some sort of locking liquid used?

At worst, a new crank and pedal.

Be aware that the left hand pedal will be a left hand thread........

Stitch-Up

Finding my (electric) wheels
Had the bike a week now and ride to and from work each day since :) 10 miles a day. So far, thoroughly enjoying it. The only recurring problem is the chain coming off - sometimes twice in 1 journey! I'm guessing the chain needs a link or more removed - is there some way to check how long the chain should be?

I know using an electric assist bike is 'cheating' but, after a week I'm looking forward to the next ride rather than it being a chore and giving up.

I've been using a utility on my Android fone to track my progress - so far, my heart rate has peaked at 149 with an average of 137 - probably a little more than when I sit in my car :)

Reactions: andymo

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I know using an electric assist bike is 'cheating'
No it's not, no more than using a car or even shoes!
Just enjoy.
Chain coming off sounds more like an adjustment is needed to the derailleur end stops than chain shortening, there's lots of videos worth a look on the tube to show how if you haven't done it before.:)
Dave.

D

Deleted member 4366

One thing to check first. Grab hold of either crank arm and yank it from side to side (axial direction). If you can feel any play, like knocking rocking, clunking, etc, your bottom bracket needs attention.

If thats OK, have a look at the very back of the rear derailleur near the axle. You'll see a single screw. Give it a few turns clockwise to increase the tension on the chain.