8-10-12-18? Panasonic Batteries

GORDONAL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2009
sunny Powys(Wales),Spain
There my be more as well !!!! . Has anyone yet received/used the German Panasonic compatible 18 Ah battery i have been looking for some comments before i commit ( not suicide) to buying a replacement /upgrade to my 2yo. 10Ah

Alan

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
The 12 is a Panasonic battery is it not? and the 18 is definitely not, but an alternative German supply. I think more information is needed, especially as the claims for the 18's performance is not backed up by a longer warranty?:rolleyes:

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
We won't know the definitive answer as to whether these new German batteries are any good for another 18 months to 2 years. It's only after the initial euphoria subsides and you settle into the relentless cycle of usage that committing brings, that the battery's true worth is revealed.

As eddio eludes too, the new German battery boasts better performance and longevity than the Panasonic, but sadly the manufacturer's confidence is not forthcoming in terms of warranty. It's up to the individual to interpret why that is.

My 10 Ah Panasonic battery, is now 26 months old and despite struggling through the winter, isn't doing too bad now that the weather is picking up. For the past six months, I have been charging after each leg of my commute, keeping the charge level in the battery between 30 and 70 %. This seems to have stabilised the battery degradation and I'm confident of being able to nurse it through to Autumn. I'm also optimistic that it may make it through next winter, in which case summer 2012 may be on the cards.

I was despairing at the rate of degradation, but since adopting my new battery charging regime, I'm a little more hopeful. I do tend to use the bike on low assist quite a bit, so the lower current demands on the battery my also be helping.

If I were buying a new battery today, I'd probably go for the new 18 Ah one. I don't know why, I just would.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Made by Panasonic:

8 Ah, 10 Ah, 12 Ah, all standard fit.

15 Ah, now upgraded to 16 Ah, require modifications to the unit and cranks.

Made by BMZ Germany for Derby Cycles (Kalkhoff, Raleigh etc):

8 Ah, 12 Ah, 18 Ah. 50cycles only appear to bring in the 8 and 18 Ah sizes.

Biged

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2010
Watnall, Nottingham
Cant understand why we don't get the 12ah, 12ah from 8ah seems a useful jump whereas 8ah to 10ah hardly seems worth the bother. The price difference now only being a few pounds.
Though the 8ah 50cycles now supply is the supposedly 1000 cycle variety (same as the 18ah) the 10ah being only 500 cycles. I doubt i will get the 500 cycles from my 10ah though before it drops off with age me just being a leisure cyclist.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Kalkhoff have not made the 12Ah battery available as a separate component, though it still appears to be the option supplied with many of their 2011 bikes. We would have ordered some in, had that been an option.

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
There my be more as well !!!! . Has anyone yet received/used the German Panasonic compatible 18 Ah battery i have been looking for some comments before i commit ( not suicide) to buying a replacement /upgrade to my 2yo. 10Ah

Alan
I have had a ProConnect Disc for a month which has this battery fitted. I charged it fully and used it the first two days doing a total of 28 miles on medium setting with some high setting for a few hills. There was 2 lights remaining on the battery indicator after the 28 miles.

My older ProConnect has the origional 25 month old battery fitted and was barely doing the 14 miles commute when the single light was flashing. They seem to be only good for the two years.

I do have a 16T rear sprocket on both bikes which will reduce the mileage.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Kalkhoff have not made the 12Ah battery available as a separate component, though it still appears to be the option supplied with many of their 2011 bikes. We would have ordered some in, had that been an option.
Thanks for the info Tim, I did wonder.

CheKmx

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2008
Zurich
Made by Panasonic:

8 Ah, 10 Ah, 12 Ah, all standard fit.

15 Ah, now upgraded to 16 Ah, require modifications to the unit and cranks.

Made by BMZ Germany for Derby Cycles (Kalkhoff, Raleigh etc):

8 Ah, 12 Ah, 18 Ah. 50cycles only appear to bring in the 8 and 18 Ah sizes.
Is the 16Ah definitely an upgrade to the 15Ah? The owner of my local bike shop reckons they are standard fit for 10/12Ah. I'd bet you are better informed but just wondered if you had a source for this info?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I can't remember the source, but I read it online where it didn't carry any details. As ever with online information it could be wrong though.

Rather odd if it's in the standard case though, since this was at the same time as the 12 Ah was announced. It would seem odd to bother with a 2 Ah addition to 10 when there's a 6 Ah addition available, and even more odd that the 15 Ah announced shortly before needed a much larger case. :confused: