8Fun Kit Installed On The Hardrock

Mar 30, 2012
I installed the kit on Friday morning. There were a few things that required a little thought and a try to the hardware shop but it really did go on pretty easily. A couple of the issues were:

Had to space the axle out with an extra washer or two.

The torque bar wouldn't fit with the brake disk bolts. So i got a counter sunk bolt for it so that it didn't clash, also had to space this out from the hub a bit. The issue being that there was a fine line between the torque bar being to close to the hub and then then spacing it out to find it didn't have a good bearing on the flattened part of the axle.

Speed sensor can't go on the gears side, so i had to zip tie (for the time being) the sensor to the frame. The magnet ring is on the bottom bracket.

And thats about it really. Next will be to paint the new rim and battery black.

I've done about 20 miles on it this weekend and had a great time doing it!! It's really fun and does exactly what i wanted, which is to get exercise with a partially paralysed left leg. Really looking forward to building up the miles.

(there was a spare piece in the torque arm set, so used it as a zip tie point)

Feb 12, 2012
Halesowen
Looks good.
I glued the speed sensor to the chainring, had to bore out a big clearance hole in the sensor rotor.
The sensor bracket then fits between the bottom bracket and the locknut as designed.
8Fun do not mention that you have to remove the locking nut and you need a special tool for this.

I have now done about 400 miles on mine, it is better than I expected.
I am using the assist for the hills and they have disapeared.

I do a 26 mile commute and still have 50% left in the battery.
Nowing what I know now I would have liked a 5Ah battery to save weight; but no one seems to do this size.
May follow Jerrysimon and build one - one day.

regards
paul

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
Did the torque arms come in the kit? Do you think I could cannabalise the break switches to work with my hydraudlic levers?

Mar 30, 2012
HI Paul,

i don't have the same kind of locking nut, it doesn't have any outer flange, its almost like a grub screw if you can imagine?

Feb 12, 2012
Halesowen
HI Paul,

i don't have the same kind of locking nut, it doesn't have any outer flange, its almost like a grub screw if you can imagine?
Hi Rocket

On the chainwheel side the locknut has a flange to trap the pedelec sensor. On the non drive side it is like a big grubscrew (lol).

I generaly use the pedelec mode, in trafic and when manouvering I would not like, not to have switches on the brakes.

regards
paul

Mar 30, 2012
AH! Thats good to know! i can re-mount the pedelec sensor next weekend. I was really looking forward to the ride, so left off the brake levers too. Just wanted to get out there! I will however get them wired in somehow, perhaps the inline switch i've seen.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
You can also use one of the brake switches as a 'disable' switch, simply wire in a small toggle switch into one of the brake wires (parallel to the switch in the brake) or remove one of the brake switches (rear is good) cut the switch off and add a toggle switch and mount on the handle bars or anywhere convenient...

You can get the switches and a waterproof cover from Maplin, a bit of creative thinking for the mounting and you're done...

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Good build though. Well done.

Very Neat!

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
I like the design of this kit. The kit when installed looks like an integral pat of the bike rather than a bolted on afterthought as some do. This bike actually looks a lot better than some manufacturer built ebikes in my opinion, and is a really good example of how you can build a nice ebike on a sensible budget

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Looks really good. Glad you managed to get it all sorted.

I'm just jumping in here to point out to anyone that thinks they have to do anything other than buy it and fit it. You don't!!!! Providing you have decent kit. These forks are non-standard Suntours (108mm width).

If you want to electrify your standard bike with standard forks (100mm) you just need to buy the kit and fit it. No mods required. It's that easy.

Mar 30, 2012
Thanks guys. Really pleased with it. Managed to fit a 10 mile ride in today across to Camden then the canal path to little Venice and beyond before heading back through maida vale, st johns wood and hampstead

Mar 30, 2012
Just an update on this. (cant believe its 4 years ago!!) The battery is finally dead. Its a 36v 9ah li-ion. Tried to charge it the other day and it just wont charge. I also tried to shock the battery back to life but no joy. The bike and kit is holding up fine, although i dont use it often. Now on the search for another battery but at £260 its a bit expensive!! I saw (what looks to be) as suitable battery on the link below, does anyone know if the connector would be suitable for the 8Fun kit? as this one is 10ah for £250.

http://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/Item/Electric_Bike_Batteries/Greenedge_CS2_Battery/Greenedge_CS2_Samsung_Battery_Lithium-Ion_36v_10ah.aspx

Mar 30, 2012
Well nearly a year later, and the Hardrock is back in business with a tune up and a new 36v 10AH battery. That said, I've revived it to sell it, as i have an old school Proflex Animal i want to convert. I cant believe how lucky i was with the Specialized. The front hub motor wont fit the Girvin forks on the proflex and it also wont fit a set of rock shocks i had laying around either. Turns out the Hardrock is a great basis for an eBike.

Also a testament to the 8Fun kit, its working great 5 years on (although little use tbh)