8fun motor advice...

Phil Millership

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 1, 2017
West Midlands
Advice please…. Just purchased a KMX trike with the 8fun 250W pedal assist. Unfortunately the previous owner is in hospital so his wife was unable to explain in full how the pedal assist works. She said that it has 9 levels of power selection on an LCD display plus a thumb control to bring in the electric drive. Can anyone give me any pointers please as to how I should use it to get the best out of the system. Thank you in advance.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Two things offer to buy D8veh some beer he's Telford ish. He can tell you virtually everything about the practical use and setup of your electrics.

Otherwise charge the battery then add as much assist as required and just cycle around. The assist works automatically when you pedal. Just up the level on the display. Or the throttle lets you boost the power as required.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Show us apic of the bike or drive unit it sound like you have a bbs01 crnak dirve. The PAS is internal in the bbs motor each level of assist from 1 to 9 gradually gives more amps as you up the assist level. For hill climbing you need to be in higher assist levels 6-9, to get the most out of the bbs you need to keep a high cadence going so gear selection is important. In all assist levels select the gear that allows good cadence, don't labour the motor otherwise it will suffer and the controller may/will fry. A little more power and performance can be got by reprogramming the internal controller by the way of a programming lead and down loading the software needed which is free.

D

Deleted member 4366

If you have a throttle, it'll work just like a motorbike or car. It takes precedence over everything else and gives power on demand.

Apart from that, you just switch on and pedal and you'll feel a bit of extra power. There's control switches, probably on the handlebar, which make the assist power increase or decrease. You see which level you have on the LCD. For safety, start off on level 1, then have a play with the different power levels.

The on/off switch is on the same control button panel as the assist levels.

There might be an additional separate switch on the battery, which has to be on first

Phil Millership

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 1, 2017
West Midlands
Great… thank you all for the help. Sorry if it sounded a bit thick :). Everything seems to work exactly as you have all described and almost common sense I guess! First ride… struggling with the gears but getting the hang of it. Front brakes pull to one side a little so need to balance the lever control. Rear really just for parking as it locks up very easily but that seems to go with the territory. Went round the block to warm up then a little further on main roads and surprised that cars seem to take notice of the flag and thankfully give me a wide berth. Managing 10-15mph at the moment without too much hassle. Need mirrors though! So far knackered but great fun.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Great… thank you all for the help. Sorry if it sounded a bit thick :). Everything seems to work exactly as you have all described and almost common sense I guess! First ride… struggling with the gears but getting the hang of it. Front brakes pull to one side a little so need to balance the lever control. Rear really just for parking as it locks up very easily but that seems to go with the territory. Went round the block to warm up then a little further on main roads and surprised that cars seem to take notice of the flag and thankfully give me a wide berth. Managing 10-15mph at the moment without too much hassle. Need mirrors though! So far knackered but great fun.
Some say never use the rear brake on a trike.
The back locks and can spin round causing you to go sideways then oops.
But enjoy it's fun

Reactions: Phil Millership