A 30mph crash fatality in something not tested or safe..

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Bloomin' hell - is this tired old argument still going on? It's the reason I left Pedelecs a while ago and moved over to ES - much more enlightened over there.

Just ask yourselves the obvious question. Had this incident, or one like it, involved one of these motorbikes where would it leave pedelecs???
It would leave Pedelecs exactly where they currently are, because the accident would involve an unregistered motor vehicle, not a pedelec. Illegal ebikes are no threat to legal pedelecs. Why would there be a clamp down on legal pedelecs if a serious accident involved an unregistered motor vehicle?

If you want to be concerned about your precious pedelecs, then direct your concern to the way pedelec riders behave and accidents involving pedelecs.

say i hit someone and then removed the dongle/threw it in the hedge ect how would the court prove it with out the dongle ?as bosch cant even tell if 1 has been used or not.

with out that dongle as proof they would have nothing to prove it.

bit harder with s class as its on the frame.
That's assuming you're in a fit state after the accident to take that action. If it's a serious enough accident that means your bike is a concern, then it's more likely you'll be off to hospital in an ambulance and the police will be in possession of your bike.

Last edited:

dinger19

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2014
Kent
Bloomin' hell - is this tired old argument still going on? It's the reason I left Pedelecs a while ago and moved over to ES - much more enlightened over there.
Sadly there are 2 members on here that are making it a mission to peach to all and use what ever tactics they can......you know who you are don't you Flud & Morphix.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Ok All Illegal bike users are evil and eat babies.
So just stop it.

(Is that balanced enough ?)

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Cats yes, but I've never eaten a baby :D
Sorry
In reflection I was tired and emotional.
I withdraw my erroneous statement and wholeheartedly apologise.
I exaggerated the situation where it is clearly the pedalists who DO NOT have compliant reflectors on their pedals who are in fact mildly naughty.

copyrite misc politicians .

Last edited:

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
What is the fine for having a non compliant normal bicycle, no reflector or bell etc. or are these only required at the point of sale.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
What is the fine for having a non compliant normal bicycle, no reflector or bell etc. or are these only required at the point of sale.

death by firing squad :D

Reactions: LeighPing

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Depends on whether the policeman is having a bad day or if you have said something to him you shouldn't have done...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The specified reflectors have to be on a new bike to comply with standards. A bell doesn't have to be fitted but the dealer selling a bike should by law offer a bell.

Users don't have to have either on their bikes.

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
Raises the question is there anything which legally has to be on a bike?

I assume not as you can have a unicycle.

Reactions: LeighPing

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Apparently as my bike seat is less than 64cm from the ground I'm exempt from most of the restrictions.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Apparently as my bike seat is less than 64cm from the ground I'm exempt from most of the restrictions.

Disappointingly for you, this isn't actually the case. You are exempt from motor vehicle type approval as L1e as in the extract shown below:

2. This Regulation does not apply to the following vehicles:

(k) vehicles equipped with any seating position of the driver or rider having an R-point height ≤ 540 mm in case of categories L1e, L3e and L4e or ≤ 400 mm in case of categories L2e, L5e, L6e and L7e.

However, you are still subject to the EAPC law with its 250 watts and 15.5 mph assist restriction.

What is unique about your low seated position is that if you exceed the EAPC requirements, your recumbent may become unconditionally illegal like a Segway or Mini-Moped, since there appears to be no possible path to registration.

So it could be the crusher. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: trex

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Disappointingly for you, this isn't actually the case. You are exempt from motor vehicle type approval as L1e as in the extract shown below:

2. This Regulation does not apply to the following vehicles:

(k) vehicles equipped with any seating position of the driver or rider having an R-point height ≤ 540 mm in case of categories L1e, L3e and L4e or ≤ 400 mm in case of categories L2e, L5e, L6e and L7e.

However, you are still subject to the EAPC law with its 250 watts and 15.5 mph assist restriction.

What is unique about your low seated position is that if you exceed the EAPC requirements, your recumbent may become unconditionally illegal like a Segway or Mini-Moped, since there appears to be no possible path to registration.

So it could be the crusher. :(
Ah I should have been clearer.
It was the cycle regulations , BS 6102/1
Light refectors bell etc .
It's about new bikes offered for sale, ........... and bikes on which the saddle cannot be raised more than 635mm above the road are also excluded. The last exclusion is intended for very small children's bikes, that are unlikely to go on the road, but inadvertently also lets most recumbent bikes off the hook!
That lets me off the pedal reflector bit.

I'm happy with 250w rated motor. And enormous range with speed cap

Reactions: flecc

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Pedal reflectors are quite useful at night... OK so now we have the obligatory safety vest outside city limits law here. Last time I rode back from the city I had a big smile because every singly car that passed me changed lanes to do so. Much safer riding at night than during the day. And with my b+m headlight all oncoming cars dip their lights!

Until I cross paths with the person with 3.5 grams driving at 160 km/h, I won't fell anything then, it will be like taking a bullet... o_O

Advertisers