A almost perfect bike that needs to be returned

Todd

De-registered
Jul 22, 2015
hey all,

I purchased a Zypher-b and have been so Impressed till now, I've had the bike a week, and can't use due to being just to heavy for me to carry, up and down in to a basement. Being folding I expected it to be much lighter, but it's just to heavy for somebody my age,

How do I return, or will they refuse to take the bike back ?
I no longer have any packaging and it's a lot of money for me to be in the porch collecting dust.

Any recommendations are much appreciated

Todd

AlanJ72

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 7, 2015
Contact where you got it, tell them why you want to return it. If you purchased it online, over the phone, etc you are covered by the distance selling rules (well their replacement) which gives you 14 calendar days to decide to return goods purchased (you have to inform them within those 14 days)

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
It isn’t as easy as that. You are only able to return goods and get a refund if they are unused and in the original packaging. Or if they are faulty, in which case obviously they will have been used to find that out.

You should look at the terms and conditions on the website but it will almost certainly say something along those lines. That’s a Woosh bike isn’t it? So your best bet is to sell it on their second hand page. You will lose some money but as a used bike that’s probably the best you can do. They will help to sell it for you.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
I've had the bike a week, and can't use due to being just to heavy for me to carry, up and down in to a basement. Being folding I expected it to be much lighter, but it's just to heavy for somebody my age,
Call me heartless but I have no sympathy whatsoever. Anyone who purchases a bike at distance yet fails to check out the most obvious salient specs for personal usage prior to purchase is just plain silly.

Just advertise it, take the financial hit and learn the lesson.

Tom

C

Cyclezee

Hi Todd,

I don't think that the Woosh you bought is exceptionally heavy when it comes to folding electric bikes. Have you tried carrying it with the battery removed, it might just make enough difference to make it manageable.

C

Cyclezee

Call me heartless but I have no sympathy whatsoever. Anyone who purchases a bike at distance yet fails to check out the most obvious salient specs for personal usage prior to purchase is just plain silly.

Just advertise it, take the financial hit and learn the lesson.

Tom
Tom you are heartless;)

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
I You are only able to return goods and get a refund if they are unused and in the original packaging. .
No. For distance sales, you may generally open the packaging and use the product at least to the minimum level required to see that it works and how it works,and examine its characteristics. For the old DSR rules there was a guideline paper by BIS which said you didn't even have to return the packaging.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott clarke

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
No. For distance sales, you may generally open the packaging and use the product at least to the minimum level required to see that it works and how it works,and examine its characteristics. For the old DSR rules there was a guideline paper by BIS which said you didn't even have to return the packaging.
Woosh T&Cs require that it is unused and in the original packaging. As do almost all other mail order and web companies in all retail fields. You can open the packaging to look at it but not use it so it shows. In the case of software and records no one, not even Amazon which has the most liberal return policy will accept a return even in the original packaging if it’s been opened.

In this case he doesn’t even have the packaging. Plus the bike has been used and so is second hand.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This is what "Which" say in a precis of the new Consumer Contracts Regulations:

A deduction can be made if the value of the goods has been reduced as a result of you handling the goods more than was necessary.

The extent to which a customer can handle the goods is the same as it would be if you were assessing them in a shop.

It seems clear that the OP's use of the Zephyr B has gone far beyond handling and possible return for refund.

N.B. Crossed with John Cade's post.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In the case of software and records no one, not even Amazon which has the most liberal return policy will accept a return even in the original packaging if it’s been opened.
These items are excluded from the usual consumer rights of return in the Consumer Contracts Regulations:

Exemptions There are some circumstances where the Consumer Contracts Regulations won’t give you a right to cancel.

These include, CDs, DVDs or software if you've broken the seal on the wrapping, perishable items, tailor-made or personalised items.

C

Cyclezee

Hi Todd,

I guess it could well be a costly mistake unless you can work around the weight problem and assuming the bike is otherwise suitable.

The other course of action could be to sell it as quickly as possible to minimise your loss.

If it is still in showroom condition you might find a buyer on the forum willing to offer a fair price especially as Woosh offer transferable warranty.

pdarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2013
Bradford
www.mybigdaydj.co.uk
A standard folding bike like a raleigh stowaway is about 15kg, so the Woosh as an e-folding bike at 22kg isn't ridiculously heavier. If you remove the battery thats down to about 20Kg. Is there a reason you're storing it in the basement as opposed to the porch?

Todd

De-registered
Jul 22, 2015
Thanks for all your great replys, whoosh have been very helpful and agreed to take the bike back, with a deduction for postage and slight usage. I think the weight problem is also the fact it's 26" wheels make it more difficult than I expected to carry.

But I want to say it's a great bike and rides a dream !

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Thanks for all your great replys, whoosh have been very helpful and agreed to take the bike back, with a deduction for postage and slight usage. I think the weight problem is also the fact it's 26" wheels make it more difficult than I expected to carry.

But I want to say it's a great bike and rides a dream !
That's a fantastic outcome and I doubt many other sellers would have dealt with you so kindly.

Hats off to the people at Whoosh!

Tom

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You could say 'Hats off to Hattie' o_O.

Reactions: flecc

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Todd, you can use the throttle to get the bike to self-propel up the steps if you can't manage pushing it up. Instead of the thrttle, perhaps use the walk mode by holding the down button for a few seconds. If the bike goes up the stairs faster than you, squeeze the brakes.
The weather is still nice, I'd keep the bike until the Autumn. Woosh will always help you sell the bike any time. From my experience, bikes on their second hand page always sell within a week or two, without you having to pack the bike.
Why rush to send it back?

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
Despite my relatively short height (5' 10") I'm fairly muscly and stronger than your average man in my experience. Nothing however prepared me for the amount of effort required to push my bike up the unusually steep steps to my front door. Which in Michael Stipes words is like Pushing an Elephant up the stairs!

I put my bike on the roof rack of my car which I find much easier but it's no lazy task.

My point is that anyone that buys an electric bike should really have researched the weight of these things as even the most efficient DIY bikes are not light.

Sorry to hear of your woes though.

Reactions: oldtom

Todd

De-registered
Jul 22, 2015
Thanks, you all have been very helpful I'll try the walk mode great idea !

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I finally weighed my bike the other day and surprise, surprise 20.5 kg with (drum roll) fully charged battery :rolleyes:. I was sure that it was heavier than that. I do take the battery out when I carry it up the three floors to my apartment to work on it.

Ferdinand

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2015
NG17
Hmmm.

Can you install a bike channel on your stairs, as they do out in public for railway bridges etc?

That one is for push chairs.

I've never seen one in a domestic setting, but I can't see any reason why not. They do make a big difference over carrying it, and the bigger the weight, the greater the benefit.

I'd suggest experimenting with a piece of plastic gutter, wedged at the bottom of the stairs or attached to a suitable batten. You won't need the full length to see if it will work or not.

Go for the most rigid section, which is likely to be ogee or round, and perhaps shed size not house size. I think your best supplier may be B&Q if they haven't reduced the range in their current cull, as they have more colours and a better range of shed guttering (last time I looked) - £4.38 for 2m.

http://www.diy.com/departments/floplast-miniflo-gutter-dia76mm-w76mm-l2m/81049_BQ.prd

I'd have thought a 2m section would let you check, and it could be changed if not needed. Then get the rest later. A handyman would charge (guessing) £50-70 for the job, unless in London/SE.

There are lots of ways to attach it, but a bit of thought may be needed. Ask if you need advice. The simplest way may be to mount a batten on the staircase with just the right space to wedge the gutter to the wall.

The only problem I can see is if it is spiral or dogleg staircase, or if it is rented.

If you are paying for delivery of one item, then Travis Perkins are better, but they may not have the shed version. Or smile at a shed company and see if they help.

You could try something rigid and metal, or even a flat strip of OSB or plywood down one side (and accept that you repaint the skirting later), or just a sturdy plank of wood while evaluating.

If you like fun and children and have a very wide staircase, what about a slide :).

Ferdinand

Last edited: