a big thanks to Flecc

bevisonwheels

Just Joined
Oct 6, 2011
I'm fairly new to this site and haven't posted anything...I'm now on my third electric bike but I don't feel I know a lot about them so I'm happy to take advice. The good advice I got from Flecc was about buying ( or not buying in this case) an electric bike for my husband with no key and no charger.....I never even thought about stolen bikes!
The bikes I've had were a Powabyke Shoppa - it was a great introduction to electric bikes but very heavy. I put too much shopping and library books in the front basket so I wasn't balanced and cornering downhill was a disaster. ( one broken wire basket and damaged dignity) I then got a Powercycle Windsor and I absolutely loved it...so did all my friends who tried it. We travel on ferries with the bikes on the back of the motorhome and go to warm countries....the combination of road muck and salt from the ferry caused some rust.I sold it to my friend as a first bike and it's given her confidence to ride more. I've now got a Giant Suede bike and it's lovely but I don't feel it's as good on hills as the Windsor. I could just be looking for something else........
ps thanks to Giant and to Jamescycles who sent me manuals for the Suede bike

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Hi,
Yes,its true to say...what would we do without Flecc our mine of information with a mischievous sense of humour thrown in :D
I was interested to read your comments on the Powacycle Windsor, as I had one and loved it too......and still not a speck of rust, but I do keep it in the house !

But it certainly wasnt as good as my current Tonaro Esprit for hill climbing, but thats the difference between hub and crank drives.
The reason I chose my particular bike was the fact that it is the only crank system to have a throttle as well, and I felt I still wanted the throttle on occasions.
I also loved the Raleigh Dover, but the lack of throttle and the fact it seemed just a little bit too 'refined' for me swung the decision.....as I like to get off road on fairly rough tracks now and then......I find my Tonaro is more rugged.
Horses for courses as they say.
Good luck with your search for your next bike...its fun looking and trying though isnt it ? :D

Lynda :)

bevisonwheels

Just Joined
Oct 6, 2011
thanks for the information Lynda- I've got a motorhome as well.....! I've been looking at the Raleigh Dover and the kalkhoff pro direct but maybe I should wait for better weather and combine a motorhome trip with visiting somewhere where I can test ride bikes? Talking about throttles, I used to use it to help me push a fully shopping laden Windsor round between shops in the hilly area we live - I'm not sure that's what the throttle was designed for but it was useful so I wonder how I'd manage without one as the Windsor is not a heavy bike in comparison with some. Any other ideas for suitable bikes gratefully received.........

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Honestly, you need to try as many as possible.
Everyone has different needs and preferences.
I decided on my Tonaro esprit for the ruggedness, throttle, crank drive, hub gears and excellent after sales service.....and I have had to forgive her extra weight.......no bike is perfect, its just a case of weighing up the pros and cons.....for you, personally.

Whereabouts in the country are you ?

Lynda :)

C

Cyclezee

Hi Bev,

A warm welcome to the forum on this chilly day. I don't know what your budget is or what or type/style of bike you are interested in, but I wonder if you have considered a conversion kit for a non electric bike of your choice.

You might like to take a few minutes to have a look at our website via the link below to find out more.

Regards,