A couple of Oxygen E-Mate Race questions...

BertEddie

Just Joined
May 19, 2012
Evening all,

I wonder if those that are in the know could fill me in on what the off road de-restrict option on the race is as most of my journey will be along bridle paths?

Also (and probably a stupid question) but can you get the Rear rack for the race?

Will be making a trip to all about the bike in Buckley to test them out in the next week or so but thought I'd see if anyone could satisfy my curiosity in the mean time.

Also, what are the major differences between the race and the city?

Thanks in advance!

Rob

Eaglerider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2011
East Sussex
Hi BertEddie,

I'm sorry no one has replied, and I can't help you much as I have no direct experience of the Oxygen range. They do seem to be nice quality bikes, and when I was researching last year I was sorely tempted by the E-Mate race, mainly because I thought it looked nice, which, being a vein sort was very important.

There are a good few Oxygen riders on here, and I have no doubt they will be along shortly to assist you in your E-Quest. Failing that, your planned retail visit should answer all your questions. It might be an idea to make a list of your questions, as when I first rode an E-Bike, I was totally smitten and rather over excited, and had difficulty speaking at all, let alone attempting a coherent questioning process!

I believe several manufacturers have dabbled with an 'off road button', my understanding is that it de- restricts the top speed by a few mph, however, in the current regulatory climate, this facility has been dropped by many providers in an endeavour to ensure the bikes are legal and compliant with the regulations as they are.

If you plan to visit any pubs on your E-Bike, (highly recommended), then absolute compliance with the reguations would be desirable. Any deviations, (for example, an off road button being fitted, whether used or not) could lead to a magistrate deeming your E-Bike is a motor vehicle with all the strictures associated with cars and mopeds. There are a number of threads on this topic on this site, some of which are quite colourful.

Best of luck in your search, I've only been an E-Biker since last September, and 1300 miles later, I still reckon they are bloody great. Enjoy.