A decent alarmed chain lock for under £20.00 with free delivery.....

Tara

Pedelecer
Aug 13, 2011
Torbay, South Devon
I've just bought one of these chained locks to use as a secondary back up.

If you watch the short video, you can see its not a thin flimsy chain, and the alarm is loud enough to deter opportunist thieves.
I'll use mine for when I park up outside the Post Office, local Co-Op etc.

I put in a 'best offer' of a couple of pounds under the £19.99, and had my offer accepted - this includes delivery too :)

COUGAR HEAVY DUTY STEEL ALARMED MOPED & BIKE LOCK CHAIN | eBay

I thought the info might be of use to someone on here :)

Tara

Last edited:

BrianSmithers

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2011
DA1
Thanks for the tip Tara. Does the alarm hoot when you unlock the chain (once armed) or is there a delay so you can get the key in the lock?

- Brian

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I doubt that it is insurance rated (if that bothers you) and a wack with a hammer would probably be enough I would think.........:p

Tara

Pedelecer
Aug 13, 2011
Torbay, South Devon
I doubt that it is insurance rated (if that bothers you) and a wack with a hammer would probably be enough I would think.........:p
The same can be said for about 75% of bike security being used out on the streets.

As said above, I'm using mine as a secondary lock, and I won't be leaving my trike in any public places for long periods anyway :)

Tara

Pedelecer
Aug 13, 2011
Torbay, South Devon
Thanks for the tip Tara. Does the alarm hoot when you unlock the chain (once armed) or is there a delay so you can get the key in the lock?

- Brian
Hi Brian

If you click on the link (safe link) there is a short video on the listing which shows the alarm going off and details of how to operate it too.

I have bought the Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit 1415 heavy duty lock and chain for when the trike is tied up in my lean to - The chain will go through a wall anchor too.

Kryptonite

ALL chains and locks can be broken, even the really meaty ones (check out YouTube videos for proof)
The better chains can take up to 5 mins to break ,in comparison to a few seconds for flimsy 'untwined' cable locks.

The idea is to make things difficult for a potential thief, so they ignore your bike and move on to one that isn't as secure.
Extra time to get caught, and a sounding alarm are bonuses for any bike owner, and the meatier chains need equally meaty tools to get through them too.

This video is enough to make any man cry, BUT it's best to be aware rather than securing your bike in ignorance:
Various Sold Secure and Thatcham chains chopped. - YouTube

Tara

Last edited:

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
Hi Tara

Can you give me some idea of the weight of the lock. I'm keen to keep our bikes secure, lock 'em up and seldom let them out of sight when we're out, but conscious of all the weight we always seem to be lugging about with us. Like the look of this as another line of defence.

Tara

Pedelecer
Aug 13, 2011
Torbay, South Devon
Hi Tara

Can you give me some idea of the weight of the lock. I'm keen to keep our bikes secure, lock 'em up and seldom let them out of sight when we're out, but conscious of all the weight we always seem to be lugging about with us. Like the look of this as another line of defence.
Hi Mike

Mine's on it's way, and in the post.

I've mailed the seller for the weight, and either way (as my lock may turn up first) I'll let you know, when I know :)

Tara

Tara

Pedelecer
Aug 13, 2011
Torbay, South Devon
Hi Tara

Hi

The alarmed chain has arrived - it weighs 1614g (just over 1.6 kilos) and when in the locked position, the usable inner circumference measures 110cm.

The nylon cover is held in place with studs so it won't slide down and let the links scratch your bike, and it comes in a zip up plastic pocket bag to keep the chain dry when not in use.

It looks good, its very loud when activated, and is portable without being pathetic ;)

For £18.05 delivered, I highly recommnend it.

p.s

Each link measures:
80mm length x 28mm width x the cutting width of each link is 8mm (8cm x 2.8cm x 0.8cm)

My ears are giving me slight shooting pains after letting the alarm go off just 3 seconds - I couldn't get one of the keys in quick enough (which alone look far more substantial than my Yale front door key)

Last edited:

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
Hi Tara

Thanks for all the info on weight etc. Think I might get one as well.