A Friendly Signature

C

Cyclezee

Often when I reply to a post, I don't know the persons first name, or more likely if I did know it, have forgotten what it is.

I don't know about you, but I prefer to be addressed by my first name, rather than my forum ID. For those that feel the same, can I suggest the use of the signature facility so that you don't have the chore of adding your name at the end of every post.

All you need to do to set it up is click on USER CP which can be found above on the green strip, then go to Edit Signature on the left, put you name in the text box and save it. That's all there is to it.

Oh, by the way my friends call me John, not Aldby;)

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
John: quite agree. It's puzzled me for a while as to why people use assumed names on the www. I quite like my name, and the reason I stick 'UK' on the end isn't some sort of spurious nationalism, but because there are usually hordes of other Allens on forums. So if you come across an Allen-UK, it's usually me!

Allen.

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
Some people find it easier to express themselves with a certain level on annonymity........

My name's Ash BTW.....:eek:

....OR IS IT?????

:D

Last edited:

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Fair enough, Straylight Ash, you've got me banged to rights.

Love from Cynthia.

C

Cyclezee

Personally, I think most first names are fairly anonymous, particularly mine, John is hardly unique.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
No one ever believes my real name's Clint...

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Hence why i stick my first name on here. The f is the first letter of my last name.

It makes it easier when i.ve meet various people on forums as your already a name that doesn't sound like an alias from space.

But thats just me. I know alot of other people would prefer to stay unrecognised.

lantus

Pedelecer
May 28, 2010
ok signature done, that makes two allens, (allen-uk) and me.hope nobody gets confussed.:)

Biged

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2010
Watnall, Nottingham
My name comes from when i was an apprentice many years ago, everyone seemed to get a nickname. My surnames Fisher and because of the Debbie Reynolds/Elizabeth Taylor connection i got stuck with Eddie.
I am still called by this name to this day by people i worked with many, many years ago. The Big needs no explanation. :)

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
good idea. Although .... I've just scrolled down looking for your first name and cant see it ....which is shame ... maybe thats an enhancement for the forum designer ... (what was his name again! ... )

still a good idea John (opened another tab!)
:)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My first names are Anthony Victor, a compromise from my mother when my Italian grandmother wanted me to be named Antonio Vittorio. More successful than with my older brother, Nonna (grandmother) wanted him named Piero Enrico, but my mother managed the halfway of Peter Enrico for him. My father wasn't interested, Pests would have been suitable as far as he was concerned.

Anthony has only ever been used within my immediate family, to everyone else and me it's Tony.

However, in the online world I've always used the first part of my unusual surname (Flecchia) to make for a brief email address, so flecc is my online identity.

It's been known in the computing world and in the business world for many years prior to this e-bike forum so to me flecc seems like another first name, not in the least impersonal. I even get some phone calling friends saying Hi flecc, emphasising that. In fact the first frequent friendly use of flecc to address me face to face was in the army by fellow soldier and Yorkshireman Sid Field from 1954 onwards.

Last edited:

lectureral

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2007
Suva, Fiji
A little like Flecc, I have used my handle from the early days of my discovery of the internet and have used it on many websites. Back then I was a lecturer, but that part has been out of date for nearly three years now. Good thread - I have been inspired to make my signature.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
My first names are Anthony Victor, a compromise from my mother when my Italian grandmother wanted me to be named Antonio Vittorio. More successful than with my older brother, Nonna (grandmother) wanted him named Piero Enrico, but my mother managed the halfway of Peter Enrico for him. My father wasn't interested, Pests would have been suitable as far as he was concerned.

Anthony has only ever been used within my immediate family, to everyone else and me it's Tony.

However, in the online world I've always used the first part of my unusual surname (Flecchia) to make for a brief email address, so flecc is my online identity.

It's been known in the computing world and in the business world for many years prior to this e-bike forum so to me flecc seems like another first name, not in the least impersonal. I even get some phone calling friends saying Hi flecc, emphasising that. In fact the first frequent friendly use of flecc to address me face to face was in the army by fellow soldier and Yorkshireman Sid Field from 1954 onwards.
How do you pronounce flecc. Is it flech or fleck? Or am I altogether wrong.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's Fleck, hard pronunciation, the same for my surname Flecchia, pronounced Fleckier.

The double c establishes that pronunciation, if the name was Flechia it would be pronounced Flechier.

The French name Flecher (pronounced Fleshay) is the same thing, as is it's corruption to Fletcher in the post Norman occupation era*, and the Spanish name Flecha is the same thing too.

All mean Arrowsmith, leading me to teasingly remark at times that I come from a long line of arms dealers! :eek:

*Possibly what gave rise to the name Norman Fletcher in the TV program "Porridge".

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

good idea. Although .... I've just scrolled down looking for your first name and cant see it ....which is shame ... maybe thats an enhancement for the forum designer ... (what was his name again! ... )

still a good idea John (opened another tab!)
:)
Thanks Alan, that's one good idea I have had this year then:rolleyes:

C

Cyclezee

I would have kept quiet about that Vic:D