A Further Introduction!

JohnnyB

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 15, 2009
Well I introduced myself about 10 years ago, then I couldn't make my mind up what I wanted, had lots of good advice, tried several bikes and even went to Presteigne - a great day out! I did however get seriously into road bikes and still am - many thousands of miles later. However, I am still keen to acquire an e-bike! This time I am fairly certain ( a decade on!) I want a hardtail e-mtb. I have got back into research and find that things have moved on - however I turn to you once again to offer me suggestions. I'd use it for trails, towpaths and the odd trip to the pub. I am looking with a budget of £2k and want a mid mounted motor. I have heard great things of the Brose drive? I've read they offer 'least' resistance when pushed past their maximum assistance....I'm a reasonably fit 62 and feel that I may exceed 15.5 mph on occasion. As ever your advice is most welcome. Many thanks, John.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi welcome
Having enquired myself about brose in the past they do look great on paper but there uk dealer support leaves a lot to be desired
If your looking for a good off power pedal experience i would stay away from the small cog bosch units aswell as drag after the cut off is definately more noticeable than large cog mid drives ive had 3 bosch cx drives and currently own a shimano steps and the drag difference is noticeable above the cut off speed
Not having tried the newer bosch stuff with the big drive cog i cant comment but i would definately give as many different motors as you can a try with normal size front cogs
Happy hunting

Reactions: JohnnyB and flecc

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Back in 2015 I bought an entry level Haibike Yamaha that has proved great with the odd bump in the road to overcome. It was the first year of the Yamaha motor being available on the Haibike and mine was the cheapest one £1750 back then.

My very long record of ownership is here.

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/haibike-sduro-hardseven-sl-2015-yamaha-7-month-1600-miles.22644/

If I was buying an entry level hard tail today I would take a hard lo0k at one with the new Bosch active line plus motor, perhaps this one from cube.

https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/Electric-Bikes-UK-Dealer/Hard-Tail-eBikes/Cube-Acid-Hybrid-One-500-2019?sort=p.price&order=ASC

Big battery and efficient large chain ring quiet motor.

Reactions: JohnnyB

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I have heard great things of the Brose drive? I've read they offer 'least' resistance when pushed past their maximum assistance....I'm a reasonably fit 62 and feel that I may exceed 15.5 mph on occasion. As ever your advice is most welcome. Many thanks, John.
You have to think about who's going to fix it when it's out of warranty. I have a friend who bought one second-hand because it was cheap. Now the motor is goosed and he can't get it fixed. It looks like the faulty motor has destroyed the LCD too, so he's looking at a bill of over £1000 if he could find somebody to fix it.

JohnnyB

Apr 15, 2009
Back in 2015 I bought an entry level Haibike Yamaha that has proved great with the odd bump in the road to overcome. It was the first year of the Yamaha motor being available on the Haibike and mine was the cheapest one £1750 back then.

My very long record of ownership is here.

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/haibike-sduro-hardseven-sl-2015-yamaha-7-month-1600-miles.22644/

If I was buying an entry level hard tail today I would take a hard lo0k at one with the new Bosch active line plus motor, perhaps this one from cube.

https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/Electric-Bikes-UK-Dealer/Hard-Tail-eBikes/Cube-Acid-Hybrid-One-500-2019?sort=p.price&order=ASC

Big battery and efficient large chain ring quiet motor.
Excellent and detailed review, I will certainly add to my list!

JohnnyB

Apr 15, 2009
You have to think about who's going to fix it when it's out of warranty. I have a friend who bought one second-hand because it was cheap. Now the motor is goosed and he can't get it fixed. It looks like the faulty motor has destroyed the LCD too, so he's looking at a bill of over £1000 if he could find somebody to fix it.
A consideration I had not made...I don't think I am brave enough to buy second hand!

JohnnyB

Apr 15, 2009
Thanks for the knowledgeable response, it's a bit of a minefield and I am grateful for the steers. One question I have - I have just seen a Specialized Levo in a local dealership - is whether this does have the Brose motor, thinly disguised at Specialized's own? If so does anyone have an opinion on support and backup offered by what is a huge brand? He also ha some Cubes, but they seemed to have Bosch motors with a very small chainwheel/cog. Sorry to harp on but the 'drag' issue niggles me!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Perfromance Bearings may be able to repair the Brose.