A good chain drive bike for around a £1000... with cyclescheme

cornelius

Just Joined
Nov 4, 2016
Nottingham
Hi,

This is usually the point where newbies give a reason for getting into electric bikes. Mine is pretty straightforward - I'm incredibly lazy. We've just moved into a house which has placed a long, relatively steep (1 mile of ~4% on average) hill between myself and my place of work so I'm looking for a chain-drive bike to make light work of it. The lads at work are all (non-electric) cycling nuts so there has been a lot of trying to talk me out of buying one and I've been wavering for a while but I tried an ebike the other week and loved it so I've decided to go with it - the question is simply which one to go for.

I've fallen in love with several of the Woosh models as that is the price-point I'm looking for. However, I'd like to purchase the bike using cyclescheme (my employer's decision unfortunately) and as has been explained to me, they are very stringent on making the vendor pay for their 10-15% cut. Thus, Woosh are reluctant to work with them and I'm left searching for bikes of the same specs and quality from a company who will use cyclescheme. But maybe that's an impossible dream.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm currently cycling over the hill (and back) and a little part of me dies every day.

Chris

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Cycle to Work is not always as advantageous as it appears, particularly if your employer enforces the final payment rules.

Get a credit card with an interest-free introductory period, screw some discount out of woosh and you may be almost as well off.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
something like the new £999 Krieger with 13AH HL battery?
it's within your pricepoint.
If you use a cycle to work scheme, there are several. If you work for a small business, your boss can use the free sample C2W contract, 2 minute work, he'll pay £999 and you can save 40%.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?krieger

cornelius

Just Joined
Nov 4, 2016
Nottingham
Thanks trex.

I've actually been looking at the Bali 15AH or sport CD as I'm a little under 6'1.

I've already had a chat with Hatti about the cyclescheme. I work for a large university so the chances of convincing them to use anything other than cyclescheme are slim to none.

It's a shame as the Woosh bikes seem like they're easily the best ones around for that kind of money.

RobF:

I'd be looking at a total saving of ~£250-£300 on the cyclescheme, once the final payment is taken into account, which is enough of a saving to make this decision decidedly tricky.

• Agree
Reactions: IR772 and trex