A good mount needed

Spinalot

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2011
Sheffield, United Kingdom
I want to mount my smartphone (Sony Arc) on my bike, I have seen lots of models on eBay for universal ones and the official Sony ones but they all look very flimsy and I would be nervous putting an expensive phone on a vibrating platform like my handlebars are.
Anyone got anything they would recommend?
Also not found any apps I really like. The best so far has been map my ride. but it feels very clunky to use. What do you use?

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012

andy slow coach

Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2012
Hampshire
Also not found any apps I really like. The best so far has been map my ride. but it feels very clunky to use. What do you use?
I have been playing around with 'Map My Ride', 'MotionX-GPS' and have just started using 'Strava Cycling' mainly because a couple of mates use it and you can track each others rides ;-).

Spinalot

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2011
Sheffield, United Kingdom

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Thanks mate, got one on order now
It's quite chunky just to warn you and the case is lifted quite significantly by the large metal ball onto which the socket plate is screwed - I have mine mounted like this rather than on the handlebars :

They do a plastic version that's considerably more compact and I use this on the Trek to save space - it goes on the handlebars as I need the stem mount space for a Cycle Analyst display. It's a tough plastic (smaller diameter) ball but with the same mounting plate :

Pro Bike Bicycle Handlebar Mount With Waterproof Case for Mobile Phones Smartphones MP3

Was skeptical of the hard plastic but it came through the 'crash test' with flying colours :).