A Good Toy While the Battery Lasted

Charlie

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2007
Hi All,
My Torq is now like a Christmas toy that was great for a while but now sits in the corner unusable because of the deteriorating battery.

I can't justify spending £350 on a new battery. So it's back to using leg work alone on a normal bike. Which to be honest I don't mind as it did feel a little like cheating at times.

So that's around £1.20 a mile that the Torq's cost me for the 1000 miles I've used it. Quite expensive really!

As I said a great toy, but not one I'd buy again as long as I can still pedal normally.

Charlie.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, batteries on some of the early adopters of lithium technology did result in very high running costs, and it's still true to say that they are only likely to last for about two years anyway. You've almost had that now since buying your bike in mid April 2007.

For low mileage cyclists like you that's quite costly, and many could run a moped just as cheaply.

Once the newer lithium iron phosphate batteries have been developed enough to be fitted as standard, they will probably be lifetime batteries and you'll be able to return to e-biking at an economical rate.

Last edited:

dazzie

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2008
Erm you could buy a battery and then sell it and the bike on ebay for $$$$, don't just let it sit there unloved! :)

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Where are you based, Charlie? I'm sure someone would buy it with a dead battery.

Nick

styx

Pedelecer
Oct 14, 2008
Ludlow Shropshire
Battery costs

Hi all.
I see from the 50cycles site that the cost of a replacement panasonic battery is now £395 with a charger costing £95.Am I right in thinking that until recently the cost of a battery was £295?.I understand from posts I have read that the average useful battery life is around 2 years, so a cost of about £200 per year.When you take into account the initial outlay for the bike (in my case £1300 for my agattu) and add in insurance and maintaining the bike, e-biking is perhaps not as cheap an alternative form of transport as it might first appear to be.
Regards.
styx

Michael of Gwynedd

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2008
Caernarfon, Gwynedd
Ezee Battery

My ezee forza's battery is also on its way out.

It’s ok on the flat, and will propel me for about 8 mile on a low throttle but as soon as I climb a hill, the battery flattens quickly. I have to take it easy and not go too fast.

Flec says my Phylion battery was made on the18th April 2007, so it’s lasted about 18 months. Quite expensive cycling!!

My bike was purchased S/h, I have done about 800 miles and now need a new battery.

Has anyone contacted ezee regarding the rather short life of their batteries, £395 + £20 delivery after only 18 months leaves a bitter taste in the mouth.

I am now looking at purchasing a ping battery, and would like member’s views on this???

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I right in thinking that until recently the cost of a battery was £295
It was indeed £295 until recently. It must be the recession.

understand from posts I have read that the average useful battery life is 2 years
I'm not entirely convinced it is that long, but I am trying very hard to keep an open mind. I have a nagging doubt that the battery technology used "isn't there" yet.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flec says my Phylion battery was made on the 18th April 2007, so it’s lasted about 18 months. Quite expensive cycling!!

I am now looking at purchasing a ping battery, and would like member’s views on this???
In fairness Michael that is very close to two years now, less than ten weeks short of that and still just about operating it seems, and that's not untypical for lithium life.

E-bikes are not the cheap transport they seem to be at first glance, battery costs have always been very much greater than the electricity costs.

eZee are well aware of the battery life, but as I've said, two years is normal. Low mileage doesn't count with lithium-ion batteries which age at a constant rate whether used or not, and that makes them unsuitable for very low mileage users like yourself and Charlie if costs are important.

Many owners cover 2000 to 5000 miles a year and more, so for them the costs are much more reasonable. For example I covered 3500 miles in the first six months this year on a new eZee battery, though less in the second half, and by the time it reaches two years old it's price will appear quite reasonable.

The lithium iron phosphate batteries like those Ping supplies have cells larger and heavier than your Li-ion ones for a given capacity, so it's highly unlikely you could fit them and the BMS into your battery casing. In most cases members mount them into a box on the carrier.

joab

Pedelecer
Well I have done more then 6000 km with my phylion battery (build September 2007). Today I have done my 40km like any other working day and coming home my cycle analyst was still showing more then 37 volt and I used about 4,7AH. The trick limit the amount of amps you can pull from the battery pack (my limit is 6A) it makes a big difference and of course use your legs ... :D
Regards,
Jo

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
I was shocked to see that a replacement battery for my Wisper 905se is now listed as £485 :eek: .The last time I'd looked prior to that it was less than £300. Fortunately the battery still seems fine (had the bike a little less than a year), but I'm not sure I can justify the cost of a replacement when the old battery dies :( . May go back to the sweat and pedals - or the motorbike :D .

Phil

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I see from the 50cycles site that the cost of a replacement panasonic battery is now £395 with a charger costing £95.Am I right in thinking that until recently the cost of a battery was £295?.
The huge price jumps on batteries from various suppliers is mainly a direct result of the collapse in the value of the pound sterling. We'll have to be patient for when the exchange rates eventually recover, but meanwhile prices for many things will continue to shock.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I was shocked to see that a replacement battery for my Wisper 905se is now listed as £485 :eek: .The last time I'd looked prior to that it was less than £300. Fortunately the battery still seems fine (had the bike a little less than a year), but I'm not sure I can justify the cost of a replacement when the old battery dies :( . May go back to the sweat and pedals - or the motorbike :D .

Phil
I hadn't seen that price increase, one of the things that attracted me to Wisper was the reasonable battery replacement cost. I think I will be shopping on eBay when it goes wrong. :(
Hopefully I have a lot of life left in it still.

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
Manufacturers imho,are ripping existing customers off.This will stop soon

Li-Po bats 36v10ah plus under £200 coming soon,trust me ;)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Manufacturers imho,are ripping existing customers off.This will stop soon

Li-Po bats 36v10ah plus under £200 coming soon,trust me ;)
I assure you they are not, see what I just posted above here.

We can't expect to be isolated from the collapse of our currency value, and if you still doubt that's the reason, just ask those in other countries just how cheap our market is for them now when buying in the other direction.

The lower prices you suggest are coming soon won't arrive until the exchange rates get back to former levels or better.

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
Hi all.
I see from the 50cycles site that the cost of a replacement panasonic battery is now £395 with a charger costing £95.Am I right in thinking that until recently the cost of a battery was £295?.I understand from posts I have read that the average useful battery life is around 2 years, so a cost of about £200 per year.When you take into account the initial outlay for the bike (in my case £1300 for my agattu) and add in insurance and maintaining the bike, e-biking is perhaps not as cheap an alternative form of transport as it might first appear to be.
Regards.
styx
This battery price is bad news for ebiking.
The increase will put many people off 50Cycles products.
I have been looking at Powabyke now. Just about £850 for what looks very similar to a Kalkhoff. That's half the price of my ProConnect.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
While I'm aghast at the price of the battery in the current situation, I could easily justify the cost when replacement is required. I've got at least 2 years to squirrel away the money for the battery (forewarned is forearmed). My car cost me in excess of £1500 a year in fuel alone. By the time I add insurance, tax, MoT and servicing it easily cracked £2000 a year. Actually, to get a car now I'd also be paying the HP on it - another £170 a month. I only ever used it for getting to work and the odd trip to PC World or Morrisons.

I treat my battery as my fuel supply (not the 'leccy I put in to it, that is so slight I hadly notice it on my bill). My bike will pay for itself very quickly. Mind you, I have no car now so I could compare it against train fare. £80 a month. £920 a year. However, this is how it goes:

Five minute walk to the station. Five minute wait on the platform (if I'm lucky). Eight minutes on the train. Twenty minute walk at the other end.

I beat the train home and I beat it to work (the twenty minute walk sees to that). The train is pulling into the station when I'm at home putting my bike away.

I can wear full water proofs on Bikey without looking a right muppet.

Also, I suffer motion sickness and by the time I get to Havant I can be anywhere between midly queasy to mentally begging the train to stop before I decorate some passengers necks. For me it's a no brainer.

One the other hand, if I didn't put anything by in anticipation of the momentous battery changing event I would probably consider gutting the battery holder and extending it so it could take 3 off 12V, 12Ah SLA batteries (given that I still have Old Faithful and his SLA charger).

All the above is valid for me because of the mileage I do. Granted , a 15 mile daily journey is nowhere near as long as some of you good people's but it is quite long enough for me. Bikey does door to door for me and that's what I like.

It is a sting though, isn't it :eek: Maybe a choice could be offered when the time comes.

Best regards.

Vikki.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I was shocked to see that a replacement battery for my Wisper 905se is now listed as £485 :eek: .

Phil
Where did you get this from Phil, the site shows this:

905se 36v 14a Lithium Polimer - £299.00 and there's also a £50 allowance on your old battery.

Here's the link:

Wisperbike

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
37V, 14Ah, £485 :eek:

Under SHOP.