A Miss is a s good as 1.6 Kilometres

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Oddly it does wheel sizes for the speedometer config in inches. Why don't the Europeans use metric for those too?
I think it was because we were the first with bicycles (the ordinary or penny-farthing) which had it's wheel sizes in inches. These in turn became the gear inches for safety bicycle's gear measures, and they were also a British first. That left the inch for bicycles firmly embedded internationally.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
We lost a lot of our tradition then of course, farthing, ha'penny, copper, tuppence, thruppenny bit, tanner, bob, shilling; florin, half-crown, quid, guinea, tenner etc.

Translation for the young:

Farthing = a quarter penny piece; Ha'penny = half-penny; Copper = a penny piece; Tuppence = two pence; Thruppenny bit = three pence piece; Tanner = six pence piece; Bob = shilling = 12 pence piece or 12 pence; Florin = 24 pence piece; Half-crown = thirty pence piece; Quid = a pound; Guinea = 21 shillings (now £1.05); Tenner = ten pounds.
"Fiver, Tenner" are used still, even in Euro and Dollar lands. "Quid" made a point of not dying away when the Euro came in here, as the official word doesn't trip off the tongue.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, fiver, tenner and quid persist in England too Dave, and of course we still have the guinea in horse racing and even in a small sector of the antiques market.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Tuppence h'appeny as perjorative ie' 'I wouldn't give tuppence ha'penny for it'
Also the Euro itself. Here and in Ireland it is called the You-ro. In Europe it is the Err-ro

Last edited:

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Pounds shillings and pence ha! Yeah I remember learning that as a kid - you had to use base 10 to add the pounds - base 20 for the shillings and base 12 for the pence! And I was 6 I think at the time.

And you had to walk to school in short trousers no matter what the weather. Kids of today dont know how lucky they are!

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Those thruppeny pieces were a work of art huh? They felt good in your pocket. You could get a decent amount of sweets with thrupence!