A new concept for E-bikes at Eurobike

Storck Raddar - Storck Raddar Electric Bikes - News - A new concept for E-bikes at Eurobike

Storck present a new concept ebike at the European bike show…

The Storck VOLTIST is an exciting new concept from Markus Storck. The bike is a 1 piece monocoque frame with interchangeable seat beam to suit different sizes. The bike features a fully enclosed drive chain, integrated Smartphone interface and fully enclosed battery with wireless locking system.

We will feature more information over the next few days.

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
It looks nice if it was a non electric bike but I just cannot see the point in it. What would you use it for?

Steve

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Is this truly a 'New Concept for E-bikes?
Or is it marketing hype.
True the frame is different, but there are so many odd looking frames out there now,that this will be pushed to stand out.
But to be a new concept in e-bikes (ie Motor, controller, battery etc) it would have to be distanced from the present set ups, and that it does not appear to be.

This is a concept that has been in the making for the last 18 - 24 months. Markus (Storck) wanted to use a material he knew very well through his road bike design. Carbon Fibre. The monocoque frame and seat beam will be manufactured in High Modulas Carbon Fibre for the highest strength to weight ratio. The battery pack will be a very high spec cell pack and integrated into the frame and locked with an electronic key.

The seat beam will be adjustable for the riders height and the front fork steerer tube can be set back and forth to adjust the riders reach.

The whole drive train assembly is covered, so no mucky chain and gears exposed.

There will be more features revealed soon.

Last edited:

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
I think it looks awesome. I really really like the look of it!

But I can imagine it comes with the hefty price tag!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As a bike, it certainly does appear to be innovative. What about the electrics?
The motor Storck are using is a powerful Swiss made one now appearing on some quality bikes in Europe, but in Storcks case they have collaborated with Cosworth to produce some improvements.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Flecc,
Moving aside from this particular bike, it seems to me that working within the limits of 15 mph and 250 watts continuous, greater motor efficiency can only benefit range and hill climbing. Acceleration up to 15 mph is hardly an issue, so the main way forward at present is greater energy density of batteries. A further problem is the need to keep batteries charged up, unlike a petrol motor which can be left with a tea cup full in the tank for a long period.
My electric boat batteries (lead acid) need to be put on a smart charger every 6 weeks through the winter, whereas the petrol outboard only needs some oil squirted into the cylinder and can be left for years.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I agree on all those points Mike, indeed I think the current surge in e-bike sales in Britain and particularly in Europe will start to slow or even stall for a while as all these new users come up against the home truths of battery life, replacement costs and the inconvenience of charging routines.

I see the Dutch in particular suffering the effect of charging routines. As a cycling nation they've long been used to just hopping on their old often ill-maintained bike and taking off at a second's notice without any need for thought. Once the novelty of the added power wears off, the hassle of charging could well begin to irritate, especially in a predominantly flat country where assistance is so much less important and much of the cycling is of the utility low speed nature anyway.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Flecc,
My electric boat batteries (lead acid) need to be put on a smart charger every 6 weeks through the winter, whereas the petrol outboard only needs some oil squirted into the cylinder and can be left for years.
mike, have you room for a solar panel as this is what most with motorhomes fit to top up batteries when van laid up.......

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
No room for a panel. Anyway, the batteries need a conditioning charge to stop sulphation, not just topping up. Or so I am told!

As a bike, it certainly does appear to be innovative. What about the electrics?
The Voltist will use the latest version of the Raddar motor with unique torque sensor, the battery will be the most up-to-date Lithium pack with many new features and the integrated contoller with smart phone apps will offer just about everything a rider could wish for. Prices are yet to be set, but the idea is to produce the frame in a new fast and easy process to keep costs low.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Price tba.
I can't imagine it will be at the lower end of the scale.

Still I think it looks great. Would like a go on one.

Trevor@Storck

Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne