A random thread for things too unimportant for their own thread...

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
To make sense of the above comment. :)

Never too early, especially as I want to be out on it on either Xmas Day or Boxing Day. I'm current thinking eMTB today, analogue tomorrow, then eMTB the day after.

And for Luke @Rutland Cycling :)

Good for you.. wish I could do the same![emoji55]
I often think an (to use your excellently descriptive word) analogue bike for rides without too many hills.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and EddiePJ

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Good for you.. wish I could do the same![emoji55]
I often think an (to use your excellently descriptive word) analogue bike for rides without too many hills.
And even with hills for me. I clung onto unpowered cycling in the hilly North Downs as long as I could until age finally beat me. No assisted cycling has ever given the pleasure that unpowered riding always gave.

Others here are clearly finding similar, EddiePJ and d8veh to name but two of a number of members who still use unpowered bikes at times.

Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I must admit that I am currently having far more enjoyment from riding unpowered bikes, than I am powered ones.

The downside is that after Ditchling Beacon, I live at the highest point in Sussex, so any riding either starts or finishes with a climb. The average elevation gain over any given ride is 1,200ft for every 10 miles of riding.

For various reasons my interest in ebikes is pretty low at the moment, and I've done hardly any riding of late, choosing to ride my pedal bike instead.
I can't begin to pretend that it is an easy option, and the length of ride is considerably less, with my knees often play up, but it is making me smile, so that is the main thing.

Reactions: robdon and flecc

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
If I have the means later I would like to have an un-powered trike with skinny road tyres and as light as possible as well as a pedelec one.

Reactions: robdon and EddiePJ

Steb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2017
london
If I have the means later I would like to have an un-powered trike with skinny road tyres and as light as possible as well as a pedelec one.
I have a Hase that's almost like that. I find the crux/obstacle/problem that makes me look for a fast pedelec (at present)and not use it is lifestyle/mindset. You live in France so this may not apply,but I find life in an Anglo Saxon reality involves always being in a flaming hurry. In a parallel world I live in Nice and always have 45 minutes or more to leisurely enjoy going anywhere and enjoy the way unassisted cycling bends time

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I'm stuck in the de-electrified zone.
My old cube/Bosch has gone and the new one due sometime in January.
For now it's analogue only for me ;) I've put some mudguards on my pedel only bike and I'm enjoying a local circular ride, 8 to 10 miles of cycle paths and a few farm tracks, a bit muddy but fun and mostly flat :) I've been out the past 3 days and I'm hoping to get out every day over the hols.
When the new bike arrives I won't be held back by the surrounding hills :p

Last edited:
Reactions: robdon and EddiePJ

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
A friend of mine has a Hetchins tricycle, it's beautiful, as it has all the same intricate lugwork as the two wheelers, but it is absolutely frightening to ride fast.

Reactions: robdon

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
A friend of mine has a Hetchins tricycle, it's beautiful, as it has all the same intricate lugwork as the two wheelers, but it is absolutely frightening to ride fast.
The wheels are the wrong way around! For a delta trike to work you need to increase the wheelbase.

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
60 years of design evolution probably counts for a lot. ;)
View attachment 22601
Conventional trikes are notoriously difficult to master, I wasn't aware Hetchins built trikes, possibly built by Higgins or some other builder then finished by Hetchins,
I lived not far from Hetchins, when they moved to Southend , by that time,buisness was run by his son Alf, who had no interest in bikes except the profit,his builder Denny was around but on his last legs

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
possibly built by Higgins or some other builder then finished by Hetchins,
Mates bike's rear axle etc, is apparently a Higgins mod to a standard Hetchins frame. I got offered one a couple of years ago, but declined. Its current owner has fitted heavy forks and a front hub drive motor, it works well.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Washing your kit ?
OK so cycling every day (& getting sweaty) I'm getting through my clean kit very quickly. Obviously all base layers get washed every ride, having several means I always have a clean base layer but what to do with outer layers ? my soft shell mid layer gets damp from the inside but if I wash it Daily it's not always dry for the next rid !
What do others who ride daily(& get hot) do ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As it's xmas thought of food comes to mind :D.

Sainsbury's Ham hock, leek and tarragon pies are really nice though there steak and ale is very bland.
On the other hand Iceland do a superb flavoursome steak and ale pie laced with Theakston's Old Peculiar, an ale pie where the ale comes thru to the taste buds :).

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
What do others who ride daily(& get hot) do ?
May be just me, but I don't have any problems as long as I don't wear man made fibres. My winter wear is usually a Merino wool long sleave vest, wool top, and a double Ventile jacket. If things get really cold I carry a Swanndri shirt for back up. Also, possibly due to years of cycling, if I stay at my natural cadence, I don't break sweat. I've tried microfiber tops, and for me, they don't work.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
, if I stay at my natural cadence, I don't break sweat
I can do that but I'm not cycling for transport but for fun & exercise :oops:
if I don't break a sweat I might as well be Sitting at home in front of the TV :p ;)

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I can do that but I'm not cycling for transport but for fun & exercise :oops:
if I don't break a sweat I might as well be Sitting at home in front of the TV [emoji14] ;)
I have a few cycling jerseys/tops/jackets, most from aldi which keep me warm but soon get wet inside. I have two expensive lightweight italian ones I bought overseas when on holiday which no matter how much i sweat they seem to wic it away. In winter I wear those as a base layer with the aldi ones on top and if I get over warm the outer garment goes in the saddle bags.
At the end of the day if you want to get all wet and sweaty you will end up being stinky as well.

Advertisers