A word of warning to all new bike owners.

Last night on my way to work at 20.00 I was knocked of my brand new bike.The car driver has admitted it was his fault.No broken bones , very painful hip and a very sore face.What saved me was ,my helmet.I spent a few hours on utube at how to fit a helmet properly as my last one I was never totally happy about.I spent about 1 hour adjusting it ,bit by bit.Even driving my other half mad.Its been the best time I have ever spent.It was still in place perfectly even when the cer pushed me under the boot.So please please all new members and tou old timers take some time out and check your bin lid. I have decided Im going back to a trike its coming Tuesday.Yipee.Just put me off the 2 wheeler altogether.Any one else got a trike out there ? All take car its dangerous out there. This driver slowed down on the approach to a roundabout then just carried on,took me under front of driver sde.If I had been near the curb it would have been far worse.So I am glad I dont drive so close to the curb.Take care ,take 5 minutes to check your helmet.Jill.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Glad you are OK Jill . Hope the Driver doesn`t wake up next day and deny all knowledge of knocking you off your machine . Helmets can save lives .

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Glad your ok. Also glad that you posted. With so many different styles to choose there must be something to suit everyone. I was riding without a helmet for years but you'll be pleased to hear that I have now, at last, grown up! ... actually , thats not true ... my wife had a career change recently and now works as a nurse in A&E. She pursuaded me!

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
we never leave the house without our brain buckets!:D

C

Cyclezee

I do hope all those against helmet wearing read this......that's all I am saying on the matter as the pros and cons have been discussed endlessly!
Just to clarify, I'm pro helmet;)

IOM

Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2008
Bought a new helmet recently, was never happy with the fit of the old one.

Morag

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2010
Shropshire
So glad you are okay hope your sore spots heal swiftly. So what Trike are you going back to?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I do hope all those against helmet wearing read this......
Tut tut John, misrepresentation again! As I've posted before, I'm unaware of anyone having ever said they were against helmets. Many of us prefer not to wear one, but we are entirely happy about those who do, just so long as they regard it as their choice and not an excuse to lecture others.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I do hope all those against helmet wearing read this......that's all I am saying on the matter as the pros and cons have been discussed endlessly!
Just to clarify, I'm pro helmet;)
Maybe the helmet made little or no difference, who knows. I don't think this thread needs to be taken over with that argument though.
Just to clarify, I wear one but I think they are not as important as many people make out.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Probably what saved James Cracknell was the fact that he wore his helmet that day in America.
No, you can't say that. You could say "possibly", but "probably" assumes knowledge which you do not have.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sorry to sound pedantic celedep, but this is a subject where the distortion of propaganda creeps in all the time.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

Tut tut John, misrepresentation again! As I've posted before, I'm unaware of anyone having ever said they were against helmets. Many of us prefer not to wear one, but we are entirely happy about those who do, just so long as they regard it as their choice and not an excuse to lecture others.
I accept your reprimand Tony. No further comments from me on this subject!

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
Jill, that sounds horrendous - you have had a lucky escape!! What state was your bike in afterwards?

Talking of helmets - I hate my 'cheap/basic' helmet. I'd love to know about everyone else's helmets - recommendations, different styles, types, etc.

Thanks,

piotrmacheta

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2009
I have a trike and love it - I sometimes can't wait for home time so I can ride it back the long way. Ref helmets I always wear one on my 2 wheeled bike and am pro them but for some strange reason I don't wear them on my trike. I think I feel safer as I am lower down but also the back interferes with my headrest so that too.
Glad to hear you're OK - what a shock, that might even put me off cycling.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Jill, that sounds horrendous - you have had a lucky escape!! What state was your bike in afterwards?

Talking of helmets - I hate my 'cheap/basic' helmet. I'd love to know about everyone else's helmets - recommendations, different styles, types, etc.

Thanks,
I'm very pleased with specialized, it's clear that a lot of thought went into them and the price is reasonable.