A word of warning to all new bike owners.

IOM

Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2008
Giro Indicator, fits great and doesn't look like a spaceship has landed on your head.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
i use a specialized aurora helmet in silver. Mainly because it was tested to the older higher safety spec than the new jess stringent tests.

Does the job, but for local city riding i don't use it. Or the motor or battery. Anything over 4 mile and i wear all the gear.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
i use a specialized aurora helmet in silver. Mainly because it was tested to the older higher safety spec than the new jess stringent tests.

Does the job, but for local city riding i don't use it. Or the motor or battery. Anything over 4 mile and i wear all the gear.
Whilst Specialized do make well designed helmets don't fall completely for the better testing standards claims. Specialized comply with Snell standards and Snell claims their standards are better, then people take that for granted. An example with motorbike helmets is that the Snell standard is designed to save life at very high speeds, this has the side effect of making permanent brain damage more likely at slower impacts. They can claim it saves more lives but you won't hear them mention it's not as good for low speed impacts as a European standard helmet.
Snell standards are good, one of the most important things they cover is the straps though on bicycle helmets despite them being better than most I feel it isn't enough.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
the best protection is a motorcyle helmet but i can't see many wanting to ware one of those on a bike.
I've seen a number of BMX riders wearing them, certainly better for all round protection when stunting.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
A full face will always be alot better, but motorcycle helmets are too heavy for a cycle application.
Also they are poorly vented.

Fact is I brought the helmet to at least I feel safer when on the road. This doesn't mean I ride like a loon and to be honest at the faster speeds of Ebikes I'm glad it has a higher speed safty rating.

Better than hitting your head on tarmac.

Doesn't mean I wear it all the time though ;-)

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
Glad you were not badly injured Jill. But because you were injured it is still a reportable Road traffic Accident.

I used to have an ICE trike but sold it earlier in the year. There was no chance of falling out of it and it was great fun.

I never felt in danger on it even though it was low. It was wide enough to be noticed by all road users and I was always given plenty of room.

By the way I have lost 9kg since this photograph was taken last year. Just in case anyone was going to comment ;)

Steve

Last edited:

Willin'

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2011
First may I offer my sympathy to Jill and I am glad she is OK and secondly my next door neighbours are very keen cyclists and do a lot of road cycling, time trials, road races and so on. Last week the lady of the house was cycling in a group of five near Alston when a football was kicked into the road and went under her front wheels causing a very nasty fall. She had to be taken by ambulance to hospital. The poor lady has many cuts and bruises to her head and upper body with quite a number of stitches in her head. Her husband showed me her damaged helmet (and it was pretty damaged) and he is of the opinion that it saved her from very serious injury.

So my helmet is going on every time.