Above knee amputee - new to forum

davew

Just Joined
Mar 27, 2012
Hi Everyone

I’ve just joined the forum and wanted to let you know why I bought an electric bike.

I’m Dave and have just bought my first electric bike, the juicy bike sport which I think is absolutely great.

I’m an above knee amputee, I lost my left leg 25 years ago in a motorcycle accident when I was hit by a car and a caravan. I had to go for the electric bike rather than a normal bike because my left leg was also damaged in the cash. The electric bike just gives that peace of mind.

The bike has given me a new lease of life following about 2 years of research into the best type of bike to buy and how to adapt the pedals and my prosthetic leg to suit. I decided to opt for the juicy bike sport for a number of reasons. I keep fit by weight training in the gym and swimming but I’m quite a big guy so needed a very sturdy and robust bike hence the juicy bike. I also wanted to buy direct from local manufacture with a good reputation for customer care again juicy bike.

All this research has certainly paid off. Having contacted Bob Wales the owner of Juicy bike a number of months ago and explained the problems I faced with adapting the left side pedal. I bounced ideas around with Bob and Matt who works at juicy bike and they helped me with ideas from other disabled cyclists and lots of ideas for adaptations.

I think it may be useful for other above knee amputees if I give the details of how we adapted the pedal and my prosthetic leg.

The problem with the type of above prosthetic I need to use is that it actually fits tight into the groin area and round the ischium bone which part of the pelvis making it very difficult and sore when you pedal. My prosthetist is a really nice guy and has altered my spare leg socket so that I can pedal without the contact areas rubbing. This is great but I now find that it’s no use for walking but great for pedalling, which is what I was looking for, we did try to have a hybrid leg at first but found it needed to be either for walking or cycling.

We had to adapt the pedals also to solve two problems. The first problem was that the prosthetic leg needed to be moved laterally away from the crank and the crossbar. This also helped to stop some of the rubbing in the groin area. I found another very helpful cycle shop – Longstaff Cycles Ltd they were able to supply a crank extender which has solved this problem. The second problem I found was that a normal rotation of the pedals caused the prosthetic to dig into my lower stomach area, even though we had trimmed the lip of the socket. To solve this problem I bought a crank shortener from Longstaffs this reduced the radius of the pedal cycle on the prosthetic and lowered the height the pedal reached.

I had these delivered to Juicy bike and Mat fitted them for me all ready for when I collected the bike, that’s what you call service.

It may also be useful to know how I hold the leg on the stump, I normally use a suction socket which is great – no strap’s but it works off as you pedal to get round this next problem my prosthetist provided a flexible waist belt with Velcro which fits round the top of the socket and then to my waist. This holds really well and allows a bit of movement without being too tight.

I hope this maybe useful for any other amputees wanting to start riding again.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Dvae, welcome to the forum. We have to other one-leg amputees riding e-bikes, Stumpi who has just posted a thread in the main forum today, and AllenUK. Stumpi is also a motorcyclist.

Good to hear Bob was so helpful to you, our experience is that Juicybike can be relied upon to give good service.

Stumpi

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2009
Scotland
Hi Dave

welcome to the forum its a great place for help and advice with lots of people willing to think outside the box to overcome any issues.

You've hit the nail on the head Ebiking can open up a new world for all sorts of disabled riders

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
I think it may be useful for other above knee amputees if I give the details of how we adapted the pedal and my prosthetic leg.

Well done Dave! I really admire your tenacity in pursuing a means by which you can stay mobile and get some cardiovascular exercise on top of the static and explosive gym stuff.

It makes me wonder how many others in a similar situation could benefit from ebike ownership but a large part of the nation doesn't even know of their existence. Hospital and GP waiting rooms ought to have notices on the walls drawing attention to electric bikes as I'm sure lots of older people in particular might get back on two wheels again if they only knew about the help ebikes provide.

I really hope you get as much enjoyment out of your bike as I do on mine and I think you made a good choice by calling in to see Bob Wales at Jucybikes as he is one of a small group of genuine ebike providers always prepared to go the extra mile for his customers.

Enjoy the freedom and fresh air Dave.

Indalo

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
...I really hope you get as much enjoyment out of your bike as I do on mine and I think you made a good choice by calling in to see Bob Wales at Jucybikes as he is one of a small group of genuine ebike providers always prepared to go the extra mile for his customers.

Enjoy the freedom and fresh air Dave.

Indalo
I can not live with these lies any more!

I have to admit to never having met Dave. All his praises belong to the Juicy Bike Team, especially Matt at our workshop who Dave worked with to find the perfect set-up from our range. I will certainly pass on Dave's kind comments.

All I can confirm is that Dave is a particularly stylish gentleman with perfect taste and an eye for a good deal :)

I'm looking forward to hearing how the bike performs and remain very happy Dave chose us for his bike.

davew

Just Joined
Mar 27, 2012
Hi Paul

I'm just building up to the distance slowly and getting used to riding with one leg, the balance is different to two legs and at first did not feel as sturdy. I've managed about 12 miles max distance to date without too much strain. Must admit its addictive to be out riding again. The trouble is that my wife worries about me falling off on the left side and just been stuck there or perhaps she's just wishing so!!

Kind regards
Dave

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Hello Dave.

I think Bob of Juicy Bikes passed on my comments to you a few months ago, along with a link to a web page I'd made, Amputee Cycling.

As you say, there are basically two ways of approaching the amputee/cycle problem - you either modify the bike, or you modify the leg. I've gone for the bike option, but I do know several amputee cyclists who ride quite happily without a modified (or electric!) bike, including one paralympic cyclist. Stumpi, of this site, rides (I believe) an unmodified bike, too.

Still, choice is a grand thing, isn't it. I'm bka, which in terms of most activities is a 'better' amputation than aka (for those not in the know, Below Knee Amputation means that you still have your knee joint, Above Knee means you don't).

But I do find my GravityDropper device invaluable, and, because it allows me to have both feet on the ground when stopped, an aid to my safety.

Anything specific you want to ask, do PM me - I might be able to help.

Allen, London, bka, Wisper 905.