Help! Adding to Bafang 250w 36 v - GTech retrofit

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Should be no problem, the motor connector is the standard julet pin type pull it apart and tell us how many pin outs.
Any other details/labels on the Bafang hub ?

The controller is tiny and is in the base of the battery receiver, it is 15a so not to bad and is a Lishui model though if it hasn't got a display output is of no use.

You need a new battery obviously and a controller kit or maybe an integrated battery/controller combo, depends on what you want to spend. You need to measure the triangle and then make a card mock up of any battery to check it would fit and can be removed easily, that said the triangle looks like a decent size.

Cheap remote controller kits ones are about £30 all in but seem to be a bit troublesome setting up and understanding and a bit weak on current or slightly more dearer ones are simpler with better current models available. KT for instance 17 - 25a models and you can utilise julet harness/connections for neater install

You need somewhere to place a remote controller like a behind the seat bag or in crossbar bag.

Last edited:

Ian Hutson

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 14, 2020
Should be no problem, the motor connector is the standard julet pin type pull it apart and tell us how many pin outs.

The controller is tiny and is in the base of the battery receiver, it is 15a so not to bad and is a Lishui model though if it hasn't got a display output is of no use.

You need a new battery obviously and a controller kit or maybe an integrated battery/controller combo, depends on what you want to spend. You need to measure the triangle and then make a card mock up of any battery to check it would fit and can be removed easily, that said the triangle looks like a decent size.

Cheap remote controller kits ones are about £30 all in but seem to be a bit troublesome setting up and understanding and a bit weak on current or slightly more dearer ones are simpler with better current models available. KT for instance 17 - 25a models and you can utilise julet harness/connections for neater install

You need somewhere to place a remote controller like a behind the seat bag or in crossbar bag.
Thank you very much ... be in touch !

Ian Hutson

Apr 14, 2020

HI,
triangle size 25" x 21" x 12"
i'd like 11aH at least , and i have a bag coming which should accommodate a controller .many thanks
Ian

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
O,k it is a standard nine pin Julet connector nearly all hub motor manufacturers use them to a standard wire pin out order, the Bafang hub is a sensored hub with internal speed sensing.
For the electronics a signwave controller will be required which we can help you with in deciding when you are ready.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you have a Lishui controller - may be worth a look inside the controller box to see if there are unused connectors.
The simplest improvement is to connect an external battery in parallel to the Gtech battery.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
you have a Lishui controller - may be worth a look inside the controller box to see if there are unused connectors.
The simplest improvement is to connect an external battery in parallel to the Gtech battery.
It may be the case that as a customer custom job with no display that the controller may still have the pcb solder points and a 5 pin lead needs soldering to the board, I can't see there being an unused wire connector being tucked in there but certainly it is worth un screwing the base top to have a look.

At 5ah the battery can only be 20 cells using 2500mah cells in 2P and likely a good 10a cell like LG HE2 OR HE4 or even the Sam 25R as the controller has a 15a max current draw. Depending on what Ian wants from the bikes use, paralleling another larger capacity battery can work. 10S 3P or 10S 4P /10ah would give Ian 10s 5/6p and 14/15ah with a battery using 2500mah - 2900mah cells would be ok

I would be inclined if going that route to moving the Gtech battery to the seat tube bottle mounts and mounting the larger new battery to the diamonds down tube.
Ian though would have two charge two batteries rather then one and both would always need to be at or very near the same voltage each time , certainly within 0.025v or less.

Last edited:

Ian Hutson

Apr 14, 2020
So, I'm now thinking along these lines. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you can make a mess out of that bike by fitting another kit.
Not much wrong with the choice of components per se but it may be fiddly to fit the Dual Hall pedal sensor. It has to go on the drive side.
The controller you selected will need to be housed in a bag. Not ideal.
If you really want to get rid of the Gtech controller, look for an HL controller like those I use on my kits. It forms the base of your Hailong battery.
KT make them now.
As I said before, make an assessment of your current kit, open and take a look inside the controller box of you Gtech.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The battery needs a 2a charger.
The KT LCD5 connector isn't compatible with Julet controllers.
The controller needs a 1T4 trunk lead to allow an lcd connection.

KT 22a battery controller for 65pcs case.

From the same page select items from drop down box's, PAS, 1T4 cable and lcd.