Adjusting PAS levels of assist on Engwe EP2-Pro

pasul_l

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 1, 2023
Hi. I have an Engwe EP2-PRO 250w bike. It is the EU version rather than international. I read online that you can adjust the levels (percentages) of electric motor assist using the display, mine is YL-80C EU version).

There are YouTube videos how to do this going into settings of the display, but my display is a different version to those on YT.

Rather than the normal 3 'primary 'options(on a YL-80C) and then subsidiary selections, my display offers number 1 - 19 options and nowhere allows what is called (on the Engwe site) 'ASSISTANCE RATIO SETTING OPTION which would allow me to tweak the '%' of motor assist in each gear. (Eg: Level 4 PAS default set to 60% would be better at 80%)

I have contacted ENGWE and they said because my bike is NOT the '750w International' bike it is not possible to adjust this (... as fitted with different electronic components??)

Any other owners on here with a 250w 'EU' Engwe - have you found the option to change the ASSISTANCE RATIO SETTING?

Thanks for your replies.

Paul

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Hi Paul Welcome, Yeah thats about it im afraid.. your only real option would be to replace the controller and headset/display combo. bikes sold within the eu/uk are limited to comply with the local regs and have closed systems that dont allow mods.
you may find alternative firmware to flash onto your controller but thats a somewhat involved procedure, the endless sphere ev forum may be able to help with that.. https://endless-sphere.com/sphere/ ??

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
If you look at the display manufacturers manual (Yolin), you'll see that there are various parameters the bike maker can choose to include or not allow with your display. Obvs, Engwe aren't allowing some of those user settable options on your legal EU 250w model, but are on the more powerful US 750w model.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi. I have an Engwe EP2-PRO 250w bike. It is the EU version rather than international. I read online that you can adjust the levels (percentages) of electric motor assist using the display, mine is YL-80C EU version).

There are YouTube videos how to do this going into settings of the display, but my display is a different version to those on YT.

Rather than the normal 3 'primary 'options(on a YL-80C) and then subsidiary selections, my display offers number 1 - 19 options and nowhere allows what is called (on the Engwe site) 'ASSISTANCE RATIO SETTING OPTION which would allow me to tweak the '%' of motor assist in each gear. (Eg: Level 4 PAS default set to 60% would be better at 80%)

I have contacted ENGWE and they said because my bike is NOT the '750w International' bike it is not possible to adjust this (... as fitted with different electronic components??)

Any other owners on here with a 250w 'EU' Engwe - have you found the option to change the ASSISTANCE RATIO SETTING?

Thanks for your replies.

Paul
Here's an old Indian trick. Buy a display for the 750w bike and use it on the 250w one.

pasul_l

Nov 1, 2023
Think I have got to the bottom of this now.... My bike has been equipped with a YL20C not a YL80C!!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
But would that work alone? Is it not the 'controller' that governs the functions of the display??
Most often the oposite.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
while the controller updates the display with speed battery and power metrics for display, its the display that sends the config parameters you have set within it to the controller at start up as a general rule.

pasul_l

Nov 1, 2023
UPDATE

I have now fitted the new yolin LCD display (YL-80C)

As discussed above the original (YL-20C) didn't allow me to adjust the pedal assistance settings.

I have two problems with the new display:

1) The lights do not come on when I switch on the light button. Only the brake light operates from operation of the brake lever.

2) The motor is not working when I pedal the bike? I get an error code 030.

I have tried a reset of the LCD display.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The display is incompatible with your controller , a firmware issue ?
Error 30 is Comms so the display and controller aren't communicating, it may be a case the YL20/controller pairing is annolgue and the YL80 being a digital isn't compatible.

pasul_l

Nov 1, 2023
I thought in this amazing age of technology that everything is digital now?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
There are systems that are anologue.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
There are systems that are anologue.
I've nver seen an analogue LCD apart from those ones that only show speed and battery level, which aren't really analogue because they don't communicate with the controller. Have you seen one?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I didn't mean LCD systems but there are the crappy 3spd led systems.

pasul_l

Nov 1, 2023
Has anyone on here learned (using the usb interface lead ) how to reprogram an ENGWE 250w controller / hub drive?

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
With the Bafang system/UART config tool, some parameters can only be set in the controller, but other parameters (like max speed) you can choose to either fix in the controller, or read a user setting from the display. I think Yolin may be similar, but where would you get the software from?

I know with my own Fiido/Yolin display, you can occasionally get an Error 30 comms message when it doesn't understand, rather than a physical connection fault. Eg, Cheating wheel size to get maximum/ top motor speed, then cycling so fast it's beyond an acceptable range.

Maybe you've got parameters set which conflict with each other?

cookoo12620

Just Joined
Jan 30, 2024
my bike engwe ep-2 pro was sold to me with a yl20c ,i thought i could [according to the ad i bought from]engage pure electric ,i am not bothered about max speed but i would like to have the electric only , i have changed 10p to 01 or to 02 which is suppose to be electric only or both ,but it does not work ,do i need to change ,ped assist 5p to different i have set it 1-5 any ideas ?guys

pasul_l

Nov 1, 2023
FINAL SOLUTION. After many, many months of emailing ENGWE customer support. I have finally!! received a new lcd display and controller that allows me to change the PAS levels as I require. So it is possible but you need to be very persistent with their Customer Service...