Advice - Ebike Kit via Cycle2work - what's my best option?

damoj

Just Joined
Mar 4, 2012
Hi,

I have a lovely old Marin Bear valley SE (1996) steel frame bike which i ride as a commuting bike most days of the week. The frame is excellent - lightweight and forgiving and I would like to keep running it however I would also like to add an electric retrofit.

My requirements are:
- short distance commute (<10 miles return) but plenty of steep hills
- occasional longer day bike trips with my partner when would like to be able to transfer kit relatively easily to her bike.

Unfortunately the cycle 2 work scheme my company runs (only uses Halfords or shops registered with the Cycleplus scheme) appears to require a fully working bike to be delivered - which rules out buying a kit through it. Therefore, it appears my options are either:

1. Buy the cheapest electric bike with a reasonable motor/battery kit. (Looking at the Cyclotricity Revolver (£599) or Stealth (£699).
Concerns - battery life is short. Is a replacement larger battery possible? What is the torque like of the Cyclotricity kit?

2. Buy an ebike or kit on ebay
Concerns - obviously i'm taking all the risk if there's a fault - particularly with the battery. However, i have seen 2nd hand bikes with Alien kits going for < £400.

3. Pay 'full' price for an e-bike kit (considering the Alien or Ezee kits as i'm attracted by the relatively good torque these seem to have). Downside here is cost (£700 - £800)

Thoughts / advice most gratefully received.

Damian

BrianSmithers

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2011
DA1
The cycle-to-work deal isn't what it once was. If you do the sums and include the not inconsequential amount that you have to pay at the end, then you don't save much unless perhaps, you are a high tax payer.

Here is the link that explains the final payment:-
EIM21667a - Particular benefits: bicycles: simplified approach to valuing cycles sold to employees after end of loan period

You are going to pay 25% of the original cost on any eBike over £500 if you pay over 1 year.

Whatever you buy, check how much a replacement battery is going to cost you (and how long the warranty is).

Brian
Kudos Tourer

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
You are going to pay 25% of the original cost on any eBike over £500 if you pay over 1 year.
I got a Trek FX 7.5 for £700 and paid £42 a month for a year and I've just paid my final payment of £35 - that's only £161 saving on ticket price, but at least it was a no fuss interest free loan as well :)

That was through cyclescheme.

C

Cyclezee

Hi Damian,

Cyclezee would be happy to supply you with an eZee kit or an eZee Sprint Primo for £750.

We are not part of the Cycle to Work Scheme, but both of those, kit or bike represent excellent value for money.

If you are anywhere Milton Keynes you are welcome to come and try both of these options.

BrianSmithers

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2011
DA1
I got a Trek FX 7.5 for £700 and paid £42 a month for a year and I've just paid my final payment of £35 - that's only £161 saving on ticket price, but at least it was a no fuss interest free loan as well :)

That was through cyclescheme.
25% of full price is £175 which is what the tax folk say your employer should have charged you. You got off lightly (for the moment) but no one entering the scheme could know that their employer was going to underpay the tax man.

RegularGuy

Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2012
Farnborough, Hants
The various bike schemes are still a great way of buying a bike, particularly if you pay higher rate tax. They changed it last year so that you had to pay VAT, but can still make a good saving.

You only have to pay the lump sum at the end if you buy it outright, Evans Cycles do a deal on their scheme where they will take owneship of it and let you 'hire' it free for 3 years. At the end fo the 3 years, it's a 4 year old bike and if you still want it it's 3% on a bike under £500 and 7% on a bike over £500.

Example higher rate tax payer buying bike of £499 save 41%, saving £204, After 4 years pay £14.97.

Total cost £310. Still saving £189 and the payments are so spread out you hardly notice them.