Advice for a Bike

darrenhoggard

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 13, 2017
GB
Hi,
I am looking at getting an electric bike using the bike 2 work scheme, my employer uses Cyclescheme so I cant use Whoosh Bikes.

I commute daily about 3 miles each way, downhill all the way there, so uphill all the way back - not too steep but constant, I currently have a normal bike, but don't use it as often as I'd like due to been knackered on the way home. I only ride on roads. I weigh about 15 stone and am quite unfit.

I believe I am limited to £1000 and cannot add to it.

I looked at the Carrera Crossfire-E Mens Electric Bike from Halfords, but it has now gone back to £1200 so out of my price range and also some of the reviews of this are not favorable with regards to cut outs.

Any advice would be welcome.
Many thanks
Darren

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
I spoke to the sales guy in a LBS, and he said any ebike purchased for over £1000 would not be a problem, as a seperate receipt could be produced stating ebike £1000 for use with the CTW scheme.

Of course I would still have to pay the difference separately under my own steam, no issue there then if say the ebike total cost was say £1,500

Is this not the norm with all bike shops,

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Your proposed journey is short and not arduous so any ebike would do the job.

I'm not a big fan of cheap Chinese ebikes, many have niggly electrical problems as a glance through this forum will show you.

But budget Chinese is all you will get for £1,000.

Don't Halfords have any ebikes for £1,000?

Or have a look around your local independent bike shop.

A lot now stock a budget ebike or two.

The brand is barely relevant, given the bike will have been churned out by one of the same handful of factories, and the importer will have just slapped a few stickers on it.