Advice For A Lady Please!!

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
I have a GreenEdge Blackstar 2, and also used to live in Ladbroke Square, so I know what you mean on both counts!

At 19kg with battery, I doubt that you'll find many lighter bikes; they are heavy by nature. It depends if you need a folder. I haven't found one I like better, although it is a bit pricey these days.

If you can get up Ladbroke Grove on the GreenEdge, you should not have any trouble doing so with any hub-motored bike (although the smaller wheels of the folder do give some gearing advantage), and probably wouldn't need a crank drive. If you are used to a hub, you might find a crank drive a bit strange, at first, anyway.

I haven't been up Ladbroke Grove since getting the bike, but I have done all the hills of Bath, which are worse!

Figgy2004

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 25, 2010
Hi Bode,

So good to hear from another Blackstar rider. What are your overall thoughts on the bike? Did you get it from Greenedge in Battersea?

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
Hi Figgy
I've been pretty pleased with it overall. Here's a link to my initial review of it:
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bike-reviews/3139-green-edge-blackstar-2-review.html
Note that there are links to a couple of updates near the end of the review.

I actually bought it from the Electric Transport Shop in Cambridge, but had a problem (with the handlebars) sorted out, followed by a service, at GreenEdge themselves in Battersea, and was very impressed by their helpfulness.

I did have one day last autumn when the electrics were a bit funny, but assumed it was rainwater getting in somewhere as it has not cropped up again since.

How long have you had yours? Mine is about 18 months old, and I am glad to say that I have not noticed any significant deterioration in the battery so far (touch wood!).

Figgy2004

Feb 25, 2010
Blackstar 11

Hi Bode,

I started out with an ex demo Silverado bought from The Electric Bike Shop near Camden. I had problems with that bike (handlebars and problems with the battery) so I contacted Green Edge who were much more helpful than The Electric Bike shop. They changed my model for a new one for no extra cost.

Then after a while the spokes of the back wheel came off one by one so Green Edge changed them for much tougher ones. After a while another problem arose, can't quite remember what, so Green Edge offered me a Black Star 2 for a little extra cost (throwing in my Silverado) so I jumped at the chance. I have had this one for about 10 months.

The problem really has been every time I had a puncture (back wheel always!!) and took it to a local bike repair shop the bike would ALWAYS come back with a problem. Rattling here and there and now the electric motor cutting out. Green Edge kinda solved the problem as it looked like something that connects under the battery had rusted away so they changed it. It seemed to run better but the problem was not 100% fully solved so once again I had to travel back to Battersea. They have kept my bike over a few days and now say it's working fine and couldn't find any problem with it? Strange.

I have enjoyed riding the bike but I just want to try something new now and was wondering if there is anything better out there. I cannot Fault Green Edge and their customer service. The battery seems solid and I cannot fault that either. I do feel very safe on The Blackstar 2. It's frame is almost like a mini motorbike.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Honestly try a wisper, I think the 805 or 806 would be a really good fit:)

Good video on here somewhere of the climbing capability of these bikes in Australia...

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Figgy, if you PM me your email address I can email you a link to the Wisper 806 video I mentioned.......

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Just tried to email video to Figgy of wiper 806 in Australia hill climbing during race? but outgoing email says not enough memory...any one any idea how to do this?:confused:

Figgy2004

Feb 25, 2010
Fabtastic

Thanks so much Flecc... That was a hoot to watch.

I will go to the Electric Bike shop in Camden and try one out. The look is very similar to the Blackstar but I like the fact the battery is on the back and not so obvious that it's an electric bike ;-)

Just need to try and sell mine now which may prove harder than expected. It's just had a service ay Green Edge so all working fine.

Much appreciated everyone.

PaulC

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2007
Wrong Country!!!

EddieO wrote "Just tried to email video to Figgy of wiper 806 in Australia hill climbing during race"
Correction - New Zealand, Australia doesn't have hills this steep :D
Cheers
Paul
Auckland, New Zealand

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Hi Figgy...I should be wary of buying anything with a front hub motor, my experience was that all that weight on the front it made the bike extremely unstable at slow speeds...very dangerous trying to turn right in traffic and I came off a few times...be sure to give this some consideration.

Seriously consider a Wisper...you won't be too disappointed....I think a brand new one is less than a £1000...mines a basic eco version and I can get 30 miles from it...plenty of pedaling mind....widely available and service second to none....and unlike a Cytronex, no need to remove the battery when out and about....all things to consider.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned Presteign (May 8/9)..loads of different bikes you may be able to try.
I realise it's a fair way for you but you could go for the weekend and the trip may prove invaluable.

good luck...Mike

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Hi Figgy...I should be wary of buying anything with a front hub motor, my experience was that all that weight on the front it made the bike extremely unstable at slow speeds...very dangerous trying to turn right in traffic and I came off a few times...be sure to give this some consideration.

Seriously consider a Wisper...you won't be too disappointed....I think a brand new one is less than a £1000...mines a basic eco version and I can get 30 miles from it...plenty of pedaling mind....widely available and service second to none....and unlike a Cytronex, no need to remove the battery when out and about....all things to consider.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned Presteign (May 8/9)..loads of different bikes you may be able to try.
I realise it's a fair way for you but you could go for the weekend and the trip may prove invaluable.

good luck...Mike
Mike

I have a alien front wheel conversion on an 20 year old Evans MTB and to be honest I can`t see much difference if any to when it was a state of the art lightweight Mavic wheel:confused: I suppose obviously there must be a weight difference by it`s very nature but maybe that bit extra is needed anyway to prevent wheel spin. My bike still handles like the pedigree it always was (mind you they are standard non suspended front forks obviously.)

Dave