Advice on a 48v charger.

Homebrewed

Pedelecer
Aug 5, 2017
East Sussex UK
I have now built a new battery using Samsung 30Q cells. 13S-6P 48V 18Ah and need advice on a suitable charger please.
I brought one from PSW Power ( 54.6V at 2A ) but it is only rated for up to 11Ah packs. It has charged my new pack but it does get quite warm and I wonder if I should be looking for a charger better suited to a 18Ah battery maybe one with a cooling fan ?
What do you think and where best to buy from ?

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
The concept of the charger being only rated for 11amphr packs is false. Your charger could charge any size of battery pack. The only limitation is that it will take shorter (small capacity packs)border longer ( larger capacity). A 2 amp charger will take 5.5 hrs to charge an 11 amphr pack and 9 hrs to charge the 18 amphr one. Paradoxically, the 18 amphr pack will charge better and last longer with the more gentle charging regime

D

Deleted member 4366

That's right, it'll get just as warm with a 5A battery. It will give its 2 amps regardless of battery size until the battery is full.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
To put your mind at ease. I regularly charge a Samung 30Q 12Ah pack, using a 48v 2A charger with no cooling fan. It does get rather warm, but has proved ultra reliable for over 2 years. I should imagine most chargers have some kind of thermal overload cut-out, but don't quote me.

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
Put a small desk fan in front of it to keep it cool.
I have a welder and the fan has failed....I just stick a desk fan in front of it when I am welding and it cools it fine.