Help! Advice on first E-Bike please

Shanova

Just Joined
Mar 10, 2024
Hi all,

I'd like to buy my first ever e-bike via my work's cycle to work scheme (cyclescheme). The maximum budget would be £3500 (as that is the max value of the voucher on the scheme), though I'd like to leave at least some of the voucher for use on accessories (helmet, clothing, lock etc.) and wasn't planning to spend that much on the bike (unless it really represents better quality to price value!) anyway.

The main use for the bike would be to commute to and from work in London. The distance is not far (only ~ 5miles each way) but my area is decently hilly hence why I'd like the e-bike to help with the uphill segments (and to allow me to arrive at the work less sweaty). The journey will be predominantly on the side of the main road. However, I'd also need to travel through the Greenwich foot tunnel, and I hear that the lifts are sometimes unreliable so I was thinking that I'd want to have a decently lightweight option (or at least something not excessively heavy) in case I need to carry the bike up and down the stairs. I'm an able-bodied male, 6ft and ~80kg in weight. If it makes a difference, I plan to store the bike in my house and there're dedicated secure bike parking facilities at my workplace.

The above are the primary considerations, but I'm expecting a young baby shortly so a potential plus would be a bike that would allow me to have a child seat to potentially ferry my infant around in future (though this is not a requirement).

Could someone help with any recommendations on what might be a suitable bike? Initially I was looking at something like the Gazelle Bloom as it had the ability for a front and rear child seat, but I notice it's not exactly the lightest bike. Next I was looking at a Tenways CGO600. To be honest, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with the many different brands and options available (with a lot of online reviews seemingly US centric & even this websites' own "Find an electric bike" link pointing to a defunct website), so any help and guidance would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
cube brand is sort of entry level price to these bikes go up and looking at 10k plus.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
if a 3.5k commuter is overkill for my needs?
3.5k is a total overkill for a commuter and 5 mile journey, but all depends on how much you can afford. Prices of commuters start around £500. 3.5k is significantly more. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to discourage you from spending money if you can afford it. Just be aware, expensive bikes left for many hours in one place tend to disappear. So better check how secure this storage is and/or consider insurance.

E-bikes are heavy. It is no fun to carry them.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Hi all,

I'd like to buy my first ever e-bike via my work's cycle to work scheme (cyclescheme). The maximum budget would be £3500 (as that is the max value of the voucher on the scheme), though I'd like to leave at least some of the voucher for use on accessories (helmet, clothing, lock etc.) and wasn't planning to spend that much on the bike (unless it really represents better quality to price value!) anyway.

The main use for the bike would be to commute to and from work in London. The distance is not far (only ~ 5miles each way) but my area is decently hilly hence why I'd like the e-bike to help with the uphill segments (and to allow me to arrive at the work less sweaty). The journey will be predominantly on the side of the main road. However, I'd also need to travel through the Greenwich foot tunnel, and I hear that the lifts are sometimes unreliable so I was thinking that I'd want to have a decently lightweight option (or at least something not excessively heavy) in case I need to carry the bike up and down the stairs. I'm an able-bodied male, 6ft and ~80kg in weight. If it makes a difference, I plan to store the bike in my house and there're dedicated secure bike parking facilities at my workplace.

The above are the primary considerations, but I'm expecting a young baby shortly so a potential plus would be a bike that would allow me to have a child seat to potentially ferry my infant around in future (though this is not a requirement).
I think £3.5k is a lot - but I'm sure they'd be very nice - I'd be worried about it getting stolen. Two companies that I have had direct experience with are Wisper and Woosh that have very good customer service and support

Some ideas

Quite light
360Wh: 19Kg

Folder ? https://winstanleysbikes.co.uk/wisper-806-20-inch-2022-electric-folding-bike

16.5 kg https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?faro not as powerful up hills as some of the others but it depends how steep the hills are

Folder https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?rambletta

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
You could buy 7 of these for the same price, so it wouldn't matter if you get one nicked. They'd doo the job better too. For a commuter, a rear hub motor is ideal ecause of it's reliability, cheapness and lower running costs, plus less chance of getting stranded after drive train failure. This bike has all cheap standard parts, so dead easy to get or upgrade, and it should be future proof, unlike the older bikes with Bosch batteries and soon all the other prestige brands that are going to landfill. The chance of it setting light to your house would be very low, though higher than prestige bikes, but at least you'd have £3000 left over for insurance, repairs or medical bills.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Not sure about the UK LEGAL. 37km/h with the throttle.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi all,

Could someone help with any recommendations on what might be a suitable bike? Initially I was looking at something like the Gazelle Bloom as it had the ability for a front and rear child seat, but I notice it's not exactly the lightest bike. Next I was looking at a Tenways CGO600. To be honest, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with the many different brands and options available (with a lot of online reviews seemingly US centric & even this websites' own "Find an electric bike" link pointing to a defunct website), so any help and guidance would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance!
You need to work out if a child seat (or two child seats) is important to you.
If you have a child seat, you should go for a step through frame.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Not sure about the UK LEGAL. 37km/h with the throttle.
You can set the speed in the LCD, and probably the throttle too, to make it legal. In the worst case, you can always unplug the throttle until they change the law shortly.

Nearly every "legal" ebike in the UK, including Bosch, can be set to go faster than 15.5 mph when you know how, so a motor that can go faster is not illegal.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
It's a frame that's been designed to take a fat bike wheel and motor as an option.
Thanks. Never seen anything like this. Looks ridiculous.

... also when you look close motor is rated 350W. 37m/h full throttle and seller claims it is road legal. Buyers beware.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks. Never seen anything like this. Looks ridiculous.

... also when you look close motor is rated 350W. 37m/h full throttle and seller claims it is road legal. Buyers beware.
Bike is listed as 250w. The Chinese resellers often get their photos mixed up, but worth checking with the seller. The law's going to change soon anyway, then we won't have to put up with all this.