Advice please...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's an excellent and very fair summing up Joanna, and your choice makes sense for your circumstance and the long trip involved. Certainly the Wisper 905se being a little faster will make the trip a bit shorter than the Agattu would. The Pro Connect could match the Wisper, but would need gearing up for that so would lose out on range in consequence, perhaps too much so as the battery aged.

dazzie

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2008
<snip> So I think I will go for the wisper, as if my legs fail, I can have the back up of the non-pedal motor.
Amen! I have the synergie mistral and the throttle is a godsend. When you need to concentrate on your surroundings you can still make good progress and it also helps when you start off as the immediate burst of speed helps keep your balance while you sort yourself out. Silly little things like that make all the difference.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
so in short I kind of think the kalkhoffs are better bikes, but - I don't have much confidence in my ability to cycle the distance involved. So I think I will go for the wisper, as if my legs fail, I can have the back up of the non-pedal motor.
Sorry to complicate matters, but there is a throttle option for the Kalkhoff bikes. We're having some sent over shortly for testing. I tried one out in Germany last summer and it was quite a revelation on a crank powered bike.

Last edited:

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
Just to add (yes it was ETS Cambridge shop where I was told the panasonic system was obsolete, didn't really want to name it as felt that was unfair), they did tell me what a fantastic system it was and how well it worked as well...

On a different note I tried the kalkhoff today - they were great, but so was the wisper. Thought I would give my (slightly girly) views on them....

Kalkhoffs

More expensive to buy
Cheaper battery
2 year guarantee - will rpobably save money in the long run
Lighter (proconnect)
Has a skirt guard (agattu - do you have any idea how hard these are to get?!)
wider wheels, make it more comfortable
Has a comfortable saddle (agattu)
uncomfortable saddle (pro connect)
has step through style - much more practicle
doesn't feel like it is electric (especially the proconnect), until you turn off the power, then you suddenly realise the advantage
light charger
definatly legal, as doesn't go without pedalling
Clear gears

Wisper

cheaper to buy
more expensive battery
shorter guarantee
can be derestricted

so in short I kind of think the kalkhoffs are better bikes, but - I don't have much confidence in my ability to cycle the distance involved. So I think I will go for the wisper, as if my legs fail, I can have the back up of the non-pedal motor.
Just to add my 10 pence worth! How about a Powabyke X6, but with a spare battery! Still cheaper than either of the above. Just a thought!

FrankC
Powabyke Ltd

tenderbehind

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2008
Hi joanna, I'm going to recommend the Wisper to you, like Blew it I think it could well handle your round trip of 36 miles albeit with a bit of pedalling, and, when you want a rest, it really will wisper along on it's own very hapilly.
I haven't tried the Agutta though, so I admit I can't say anything about this bike, though I know a lot of members like it. I do also have the ''old'' Powarbyke Commuter, and find the Wisper much faster, longer range, quieter and lighter, I really do look forward to riding it. It's not gone wrong at all, but I am sure the guys at Wisper will give very good after sales if necessary. Hope this helps, Tony.
Told Ya....!!! (Unless you change your mind of course, a woman's privilege.)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sorry to complicate matters, but there is a throttle option for the Kalkhoff bikes. We're having some sent over shortly for testing. I tried one out in Germany last summer and it was quite a revelation on a crank powered bike.
That's interesting Tim. If the throttle overrides the usual power phase down with speed and cadence on these bikes it could really open up the whole market for them.

Please keep us informed asap.

joanna

Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2008
thoughts

Now don't confuse me Tim, I think I have made up my mind, and will stick to it now.... but maybe tell me more!

Frank, I did try a powabyke shopper, which was very rough round the edges, gave me a nasty cut when putting on the pedals (so blood everywhere), very heavy and didn't work. Not impressed, which has coloured my view of all powabykes I am afraid.

Thanks for all the advice from all of you - my expereince has told me it is not the bike so much as what suits you, and I haven't even got one yet.

By the way my work collegues all think I am mad!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
We all are Joanna, so you're in good company. :D

They would change their minds if they experienced the pleasant aspects of cycling though, made all the more so when electrically assisted.

bogmonster

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2008
Hi,

From what you have said about your needs I think you have made a sound decision.The Wisper is a great bike and well supported. When you get your bike please take care in the cold weather. A number of people on the forum have been caught out by ice recently, me included.

Cycling to work is great providing you can stay warm and dry but don't take any unecessary chances on the roads. Whatever bike you get, your next purchase should be lots of reflective gear.

BM

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Throttles are they legal in the UK?

Hi Tim

I thought your stance was that throttles are illegal in the UK?

What are your views on their use in the UK? I am not certain myself, hence all new model Wisper bikes have the facility to easily remove the throttle if necessary.

Regards David :)

wotwozere

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2008
Hi

I would always recommend to try a bike first, how does a throttle work , will i still have to peddal or will it go by itself?

if you would like some free advice try a bike first it might be best thing you have ever done.

thx

Bob

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Throttles

hence all new model Wisper bikes have the facility to easily remove the throttle if necessary.

Regards David :)
Throttles operating independently of the pedals, enabling a bike to be ridden on power only are legal in the UK under the 1982 EAPC regulations. They are illegal under EU regulations in mainland Europe which are intended to have full force in the UK at some future point.

Throttles operating under the dictates of pedelec control, only permitting regulation of power while pedalling, are legal everywhere in Europe and the UK.

In Switzerland (outside of the EU of course), BikeTech introduced a walk alongside throttle on some of their Panasonic powered Flyers,this operating up to approximately 4 mph to allow hills too steep to be ridden to be coped with. They also have this throttle option on some of their high speed Flyer S models where it operates up to around 12 mph.

Panasonic appear to have adopted this BikeTech innovation judging from Tim's news, but it remains to be seen whether they operate with the same restrictions.

The walk alongside throttle appears to contravene the EU pedelec regulations, but when used this way in the UK it might make the bike fall under the Pedestrian Controlled Electric Vehicle regulations as used by the Royal Mail for some of their postmen's electric "walk-with" enclosed delivery barrows. This would avoid any registration problems.

joanna

Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2008
Ordered, just waiting now...

A Wisper 905se city has been ordered, but I am told will not be avaliable until Feburary, so I have a couple more months on the train, and they have changed the timetable, so even more sitting around on stations!
On the plus side, by the time I get my bike hopefully the worst of the winter will be over, but it will still be cool, so probably the best time to start.

I can't wait though, have been checking up on my lights, locks, baskets, repair kits etc etc and I have got one of those flurescent capes - very sexy - NOT!
Walking round London one evening last week I kept critiscising lots of cyclist for not having lights/light clothing or being able to be seen (no one on this site, as no electric bikes), it does seem one of the fundamentals of cycling, especially as I believe 13 cyclist have been killed in London last year - reallly ought to be doing everything to make themselves more visable, so to cycle in the dark in black clothes without lights does seems a little stupid.

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
Joanna, I see so many cyclists around Norwich doing exactly the same as what you've described. Dark clothes, no lights. It drives me crazy.

I bought myself a very snazzy (not! :D) windproof jacket following the recommendation of another member to invest in one, and I'd advise you to get something similar. Especially if you're faced with such a long journey. You might want to be thinking about padded shorts as well.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Congratulations on ordering your new bike Joanna. While its a pity there's a wait, at least you'll be missing the current very cold and wet riding conditions and the days will be lengthening quite a lot by February.

Apart from visibility, the number one safety action to take is not to get into dangerous positions on the left hand side of large vehicles like trucks and buses whose drivers may not be able to see you, especially at junctions where they might left turn. That one error has been the single factor costing most of those 13 unfortunate cyclists their lives.

Better to hang back and lose the odd second or two, and if others want to go ahead and take that risk, just shrug and let them past.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
A Wisper 905se city has been ordered, but I am told will not be avaliable until Feburary, so I have a couple more months on the train, and they have changed the timetable, so even more sitting around on stations!
On the plus side, by the time I get my bike hopefully the worst of the winter will be over, but it will still be cool, so probably the best time to start.
Good choice Joanna. Waiting till February is probably a blessing considering the distance you're intending to do. Make sure you're clued up on puncture avoidance and repair or have a mobile phone and rescue arrangement.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Good choice Joanna. Waiting till February is probably a blessing considering the distance you're intending to do. Make sure you're clued up on puncture avoidance and repair or have a mobile phone and rescue arrangement.
Yes, starting after the snow is probably a good idea. I had quite a few long waits whilst I worked out how to deal with various problems en route, I'm glad I wasn't doing that at this time of year.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Joanna

Hi Joanna

Thanks for choosing a Wisper Bike and welcome to the club! I wish you many happy journeys. I am delighted you placed the order when you did as all the 905se's off this container are sold now, although there will be some left at our dealers.

A couple of updates for you.

The bikes are due into UK in ten days now and should be ready for dispatch in three weeks.

We have upgraded our warranty so most parts have a two year guarantee and the frame has six years.

Best regards David

kelly

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 22, 2008
Now don't confuse me Tim, I think I have made up my mind, and will stick to it now.... but maybe tell me more!

Frank, I did try a powabyke shopper, which was very rough round the edges, gave me a nasty cut when putting on the pedals (so blood everywhere), very heavy and didn't work. Not impressed, which has coloured my view of all powabykes I am afraid.

Thanks for all the advice from all of you - my expereince has told me it is not the bike so much as what suits you, and I haven't even got one yet.

I got my Powabyke second hand. Yes, it's heavy, but it is a very old model and a lead acid battery, but after riding it for a week the weight of the bike wasn't an issue, just took a little getting used to.

A couple of times I've had to rely on the power alone to get me home and it has done the job.

The more recent lighter Powabykes are bound to be far better than the model I have, and certainly FrankC (fcurran on this forum) of Powabyke has been of great help to me when I've had a couple of questions.

Another great thing about Powabykes is that they have a wide dealer network, so it's not too difficult to get the bike sorted if there is a problem.