Advice wanted for DIY Welsh commuter (Trek FX conversion?)

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Okay if that’s the case it makes sense, I’m trying to avoid something that runs in the wet and mud really so anything running on the rim is only going to be squeezing the rim a bit more for less handle effort, so probably won’t reduce the wear on the blocks caused by the grinding paste effect :)
I would be more concerned about the wear to the rim from the grinding paste that builds up on the blocks.
Some years back (when you never saw disc brakes) I had a thinned down rim wall blow off on only the third set of blocks, luckily on the rear wheel but not something I ever want to repeat. The mud and dust in my area is akin to carborundum grains and I'm a big guy so I'd never use rim brakes again.
Dave.

Reactions: gw8izr

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Magura HDR = HS11 or 33 model, I have the 33 on both Swizzbee's. Yes getting adjustment perfect is a bit of a pain but they do work. the advantage is no cable stretch. Rims brakes are an ideal rear brake as the rear brake only accounts for about 20% or so of the braking affect when used properly in conjunction with a good front brake.

Reactions: gw8izr

Bman80

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 19, 2020
Snowdonia
My Woosh Aikema rear hub kit arrived yesterday, and I fitted it last night after the kids were in bed.
The kit was well packaged with good instructions and took under 2 hours to fit, taking my time with it.

I had a brief test ride down my lane, which aleviated any fears that I had about insufficient power/torque. It was a bit scary going that fast with only a head torch for light... new lights next on the list. I breezed up the 8% hill out the village like it wasn't there. Before I turned back I took it along the flat and peddled past 15mph and up to 20mph which wasn't to much effort. I weighed the bike when I got home and it was a shade under 18kg with the kit adding about 6kg to the weight of the bike.

I found the power coming on hard a little unnatural and aggressive particularly manoeuvring at low speed, but that was with max assist, which I doubt I will use much. At half assistance it felt much more natural, except that I rode like an olympian - doing 15mph with very little effort. I have only fitted the LHS cadence sensor not the throttle, but think the brake sensors would be helpful either way.

I need to tidy up the wiring and try the throttle/brake sensors, and hopefully get out for a ride in the next few days to play around with settings, and see how it feels on steeper inclines. Thanks everyone for their advice and Tony and co at Woosh.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The White outers are fitted as standard and originally didn't satnd out much , though don't quite look right now contrasting with the Black electric wiring now in place.