Aerial cycle highways

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Cycle Skyways could boost cycling in more than one way. The boost need not only be from the attraction of traffic free progress, good engineering and planning could iron out gradients to make our cycling environment more like that in Holland.

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Agreed, also this would attract cycle tourists, i'd spend more time in London if i had these to ride on. Probably a lot more than the two weekends a year i spend now.

hopper_rider

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2012
Couldnt help noticing the paid for by swipe card comment.

Then of course I believe there will be a sort of compulsion to use such a route with embedded motorists attitudes such as, "You have your own cycleway, use it".

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Then of course I believe there will be a sort of compulsion to use such a route
I think after that sort of expenditure compulsion where such a route existed would be perfectly reasonable.

After all, we compel pedestrians to walk along pavements in towns and not along the length of the road lanes mixed in with the motor vehicles. No-one complains of that since it's widely accepted as reasonable.

hopper_rider

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2012
I think after that sort of expenditure compulsion where such a route existed would be perfectly reasonable.

After all, we compel pedestrians to walk along pavements in towns and not along the length of the road lanes mixed in with the motor vehicles. No-one complains of that since it's widely accepted as reasonable.
So are you also in favour of pedestrians needing a swipe card to use pavements?

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
I believe there are plans to build such a 'skyway' in central Bristol - at least that's what I read in the local paper last time I was up there visiting. Anybody know how that's coming along?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The bike friendly city of Portland, Oregon in the USA has many overhead crossings and the like for bikes.

There's a very comprehensive PDF report (large download) on these with numerous photographs on this link

hopper_rider

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2012
Look at what I quoted from your post.

Dont get me wrong. I think the cycle highways could be very useful. Its just I am against the idea of making cyclists pay in order to not be at risk of being at danger from other motorists

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Dont get me wrong. I think the cycle highways could be very useful. Its just I am against the idea of making cyclists pay in order to not be at risk of being at danger from other motorists
Understood. I just see the whole benefit of such overhead ways like the gradients alleviation I mentioned above and feel they are worth a small contribution from cyclists. The amount involved could only be tiny, given that moped riders only pay £16 annually. A tenner, under 20p a week, is nothing compared to the benefits.

Could be optional of course, only those with a licence disc allowed on the skyways, but I bet all cyclists would willingly pay, given the large benefit.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
I absolutely love that idea and would happily pay good money to use it, ....just think of the views you would have and the tourists it would attract....wow

Lynda :)

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
It might be little Bob but it looks perfectly formed !

I think they are a really brilliant idea......have you been on it ?
Is it amazing to be cycling like that above all the traffic ?

I wish I had known earlier I would have come up just to experience that.

Lynda :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In places like the City of London and Croydon where there's plenty of skyscrapers, they could be used as supports alongside a cycle skyway, given how little weight is involved, That would slash the costs of a skyway installation.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011

MikeyBikey

Pedelecer
Mar 5, 2013
I think all the 'Cycle Superhighways' should be converted to 'Skyways' and paid for with extra Vehicle Excise Duty. After all motorists will be getting the benefit of less cyclists obstructing them on the road, so they can travel faster and worry less about running them over!