Aged newcomer needs advice

Rumik

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 23, 2018
Hi, I'm interested in finding an ebike that I can lift onto a motorhome bike rack. This is proving to be difficult as my research (here and elsewhere) indicates that it is very difficult to find anything that weighs under about 21 kg with battery removed. Myself and wife each have a 'non e' Dahon folder that we bought 10 years ago because it is light (about 15 kg) and I can readily get it onto the rack. We don't actually need the folding ability. Age has taken its toll and myself and Mrs would like to be able to get up the hills without having to get off and walk, hence the search for an ebike.

I've considered retrofitting a kit to the Dahon but it seems difficult to find anything suitable and the end result would be a bike weighing 20 kg+!

I've seen the Powabyke F100 which seems attractive at 17 kg. Can anyone offer any experience of this machine or of Powabyke as a company?

(Edit: We've test ridden the Gtech lowstep and whilst it is nice and light we didn't like the 'on-off' power delivery.)

Mike

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi welcome
I’m sure someone will be along shortly with some weight info for a sub 20kg bike
Good hunting

torchy

Apr 14, 2016
I was riding around on a self build e Dahon Espresso which would be pretty similar to yours. The bafang 500w crank kit fitted without too many probs although the battery had to go on the rear rack. I doubt you would get any emtb's much lighter. Go for a smaller engine and battery obviously but there wouldnt be that much weight difference.

Batholith

Jul 24, 2018
Mid Wales
Hi
If it is any use, I am buying a Wisper 905 SE 375wh it weighs 23Kg with the rack mount battery, as the battery weighs 3kg the bike will weigh 20kg without its battery.
cheers

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Rumik

Jul 23, 2018
Thanks for the info Torchy and Batholith. After a lot of searching and a few test rides we've opted for the Trek Verve+ which is 20.5 kg with battery and about 18 kg without. A bit above what we wanted to pay but the lightest large wheeled ebike we could find that was not very silly money!
Mike

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh